Vortech M1 flow

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of building my next build and have read several posts about varying flow on the Vectra pumps. Can anyone attest to the pump achieving the full 2000gph? For 10x turnover I'm calculating 1700gph.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While these pumps are magic powered, they unfortunately do not yet levitate water and therefor head loss still counts. ;)

2000 GPH is with nothing hooked up to the pump outlet.

M1_Dimensions-Flow1.jpg

You would get about 1700 GPH if your tank were about 1 foot high. ;)

If you don't have the plumbing in place yet, can you guesstimate what the distance will be from the pump to the top of the tank? Cross-reference that distance with Ecotech's chart above to see what max. flow rate you could expect.

If your tank was 6 feet high and you build a normal return, you could expect around 1200 GPH.

Elbows, valves, extra outlets, etc all matter too though. If you're planning anything more than a basic return, you'll be better off calculating head loss as best you can with a head-loss calculator like this... http://www.freecalc.com/fricfram.htm ...that can account for those extra pieces.

(Depending on your actual use-case 10x is more than double what you are likely to need. 2x-4x will get the job done just about right.)

If you have a normal tank on a normal stand and you build a normal return and still want 10x then I think you'll have to spend up for an M1:
L1_Dimensions-Flow.jpg

That should just get you 1700 GPH at 6 feet.

OP
OP
aquaman30k

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info! I forgot to account for head pressure. Everything is normal with the exception of the return manifold. I originally wanted one pump to run everything but looked at the flow rating and figured I would need to split the tank return with a dedicated L1 and use the M1 for all of the reactors. Nothing is built yet so there is still time to revise.

At 2-4x turnover the M1 should be more than enough to run the tank but might be lacking once a 1/3hp chiller and 4-5 reactors are opened up. Would you recommend running 1 L1 or two M1's?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm.

I think the math makes sense, but you might want to ask someone else cuz I don't think I would do it that way. Too complex and way too pricey.

I'd do....
  • One right-sized AC pump for return – no valves, controllers or manifolds involved.
  • Individual right-sized AC pumps for the reactors, as needed.
  • Ditch the high-power lighting that mandates the chiller
    • Ditch the chiller
  • Ditch at least 3 of the 5 reactors – too much maintenance. One ought be enough.
I know that probably seems strict. LOL

(If you have to keep the chiller for some reason other than lighting, then definitely keep the chiller off your return line....just feed the chiller with another right-sized AC pump in the sump and let it drain into the return compartment.)

OP
OP
aquaman30k

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with you. The least maintenance required, the better.

I already have the M1 (couldn't pass up the price;) ) so I was going to add 1 more vectra dedicated the return.

The chiller may not be needed with the LED's and t5's on the new setup. I currently have a 1/10th that kicks on and runs for about 4hrs a day but several factors will be changing with this new build that could eliminate the need for a chiller at all. Changes such as moving the tank from the second story to the first and ditching the ATI for G4's and 4 t5's.

Reactors was going to be gfo, carbon, bio pellets and an algae reactor to play around with. The 5th was a spare.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to push the idea too much – all in good humor and sharing of ideas... :)

...but in spite of the deal, selling the M1 could most likely finance all the pumps I mentioned and leave you with money in pocket.
  • Return Pump: Syncra 5.0 ...$200.
  • Reactor Pumps (x2*): Syncra 1.0 ...$50
So (200+50+50=) $300 for all your flow and still enough reactors to keep you busy when you're not feeding fish! :)

*I'll grant you a single GFO/carbon reactor and either biopellets or an algae reactor. No spare! :p

At least in my opinion, this is actually a superior return pump solution from every angle, in addition to being a lot less expensive.

What size and dimensions of tank are you planning, btw?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(I mean to mention that I think you could also get by on a smaller return.....pocket up to another $100 by going to the 2x-4x flow rate for your sump that I usually spec. along with a Syncra 3.5 instead of the 5.0.)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna be a beautiful display!!

Yeah, you could definitely do a Syncra 3.5 ($140) for return. 5.0 not required.

If it's for fun, definitely spend the money however you want, obviously. :) But pragmatically speaking, there's no need to end this build without a couple hundred extra dollars in your pocket vs the current course.

OP
OP
aquaman30k

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No joke. It's already adding up and the lights haven't even been ordered.

I'm running a Syncra on the chiller now and love how quiet it is. Solid recommendation and definitely a cost saver.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a m1 and used it on my 120 as the return. Head height was around 4 feet to 2 returns. No 90, just a T and sweeping flex lines. I was unimpressed with the return flow. I ran it at full power till the tank was taken down for other reasons and plan to either replace it or go with a pair like you mentioned. Either the L1 would have been better or a pair.

Mcarrol has the right idea if you want to save money on your system in the long run.

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just setup my 90G upgrade tank with a Vectra M1. I am using 2 Oceanlife overflows on the tank. Return is via a Y-splitter from the Vectra M1. Head height is around 4ft. Thoroughly impressed with the flow. Previous tank had an Eheim using a single Oceanlife overflow.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
While I really like my Vectra's, I think if you are set on using reactors and a chiller, separate the return pump function from the equation and go with 2 pumps.
Sicce Syncra pumps are really quiet pumps and seem to be pretty dependable.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you end up using the M1 and want to reach it's full potential, you will need to by the 1.25" PVC slip adapter. The included adapter is 3/4" which will limit the flow a little.

My experience on a 75g is that it has plenty of flow even at 3/4" pipe and 1 reactor.

OP
OP
aquaman30k

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to separate the return from the rest of the manifold. I'm building the manifold as if I'm going to use all of the reactors but I agree most of them won't be needed. Now the choice is to add another m1 or find someone to buy my current one and pickup two Syncra's.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm going to separate the return from the rest of the manifold. I'm building the manifold as if I'm going to use all of the reactors but I agree most of them won't be needed. Now the choice is to add another m1 or find someone to buy my current one and pickup two Syncra's.
Since you already have the Vectra M1, I'd keep it as a return pump. They are so quiet, ( a quiet pump is very important to me ) and seem to be turning out to be a pretty solid pump.
Then figure out the requirements of the reactors and pick up the right sized Sicce pump.

Back