Vortech MP40WQD and rusting magnets

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eco1.jpg

Ok a lot of us have been burned by cheap things like frag racks and veggie clips that leak and rust magnets but you don't expect it from Ecotech for the price you pay.

I had one MP40WQD lockup and I bought a new wetside at $80. Funny thing is the other one eventually locked up and the first one that locked started working again. Anyway being the curious sort I decided to see what was wrong with the latest failure and to see if it could be fixed. What I found was it locked up because the magnet had rusted so bad it actually swelled the back plate. In the picture you can see the bulging plate and rust. I opened it a little further and scraped out probably a tablespoon of rust. No point as the unit is shot and will never see the inside of the tank again. Truly disappointed and have to wonder if the two operating MP40WQD's aren't leeching metals into my tank.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It's a pretty common problem with these pumps.
Some say it's because of the use of vinegar in cleaning them, even though ETM recommends it.
I had one of the earlier models do that after 3-4 years. But my current 2 are both about 4-1/2 years old and they look fine.
It doesn't really surprise me that damage can occur to this part if you really look at what it does.
It sits in this spot and spins at god only knows what rpm, month after month and year after year.
IDK, we pay alot for this design, I too wish they lasted longer

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact Ecotech and they may replace it. I dont put that magnet assembly in vinegar anymore, just the housing.

OP
OP
zoomonster

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple things... I do use citric acid (just got another 5lb bag from Amazon Friday) and I already bought another wet side a while back. That one failed recently and was being used as a paperweight on top of my skimmer lid.

I suspect another is going though. I did a water change this morning and when I turned the pumps back on one of them did the skip, rattle and roll. Turned it off and back on at full power and it sputtered stop and go a bit and then started normally.

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: what is your glass size? are you using the proper spacer for your glass size?

I have been using mines on 12mm glass with the thickness spacer that is for 6 - 13 mm. Been running for two years, no rust, no problems. Also I do clean with vinegar but a light solution and never leave them soaked for longer periods of times.

OP
OP
zoomonster

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: what is your glass size? are you using the proper spacer for your glass size?

I have been using mines on 12mm glass with the thickness spacer that is for 6 - 13 mm. Been running for two years, no rust, no problems. Also I do clean with vinegar but a light solution and never leave them soaked for longer periods of times.

~1/2 inch glass and using the gasket. Think the glass was metric and very slightly thicker than 1/2 so the gasket worked better than the one for up to 1/2. Plus I use citric acid.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren’t the spacers identified by mm? Glass is almost always in mm, though 12 mm is close enough to 1/2”. Wetside magnet splitting was a problem when the QD models first came out, but appears to have been much less of an issue since. I’ve many wetsides operating for 5+ years without any signs of magnet problems.

Cameron Martinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These things don’t last for what we pay for them. Exotech could give a dang if they are out of warranty. I never used vinegar on mine and both same issue. Time to move on to another wave maker. These are not sealed correctly and then we have to pay to replace them.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back