Vortech QD vs Tunze Turbelle stream vs Octo Pulse

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 1 Vortech QD MP60, 1 Tunze 6105 and 1 Tunze 6095 to provide flow in my 125 g SPS tank. The MP 60 is placed in one of the sides and the two Tunzes are located across the tank, flanking the overflow.
This original disposition was fine some time ago, but corals have grown and while the MP60 keeps delivering a huge flow at the rigth side of the aquarium the flow at the other side is quite reduced due to coral growth, the rock disposition and the narrow flow delivered by the Tunze pumps. I'm thinking about replacing one or the two Tunzes for a wider and higher flow alternative. Alternatives:
1. Add two MP40 at each side of the overflow. The Vortech pumps are great in terms of flow and easy maintenance but pose two problems. First, as the flow can not be directed I should buy two MP40 to place one at each side of the overflow, which represents a very expensive alternative. Two, and more important, they are not silent as the Tunze.
2. Change the Tunze 6095 for another Tunze 6105. That would improve the flow in the area where the 6095 is placed now, but would not solve the flow problems in the 6105 area (although I could place the 6105 in the upper position and the 6095 in a lower position; not very aesthetically pleasant, however)
3. Replace one of the Tunze for a wider flow pump that can be oriented to some areas of the tank. Here is where the Octo Pulse 4 pump could be a good alternative. However, it should be as quiet as the Tunze 6105.
Any thought on these? I would like to hear opinions from people that have run both the Octo Pulse and the Tunze pumps and may compare them in terms of noise.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. I think you understand what you are doing and will figure it out.

I hope some here can help with your specific request.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ever consider getting just a bunch of Nero 5s or some gyres?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Octo Pulse is a really nice powerhead for the money, almost went with one over my MP40. The cup allows you to alter the direction to a good extent, similar to a Koralia

OP
OP
chema

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP2 are fine in mine point of view. The OP4 not. The flow is too turbulent and the pump way too loud.
Eventually I pulled the trigger with the OP4. I'm very happy with it. I could connect it to Profilux by means of a breakout box so now the flow is controlled together with the Tunze 6105 and the Vortech MP60.

I ramp the flow up and down from a low limit of 25% to a high limit of 65%. Although the pump is not silent as the Tunze it is more quiet than the MP60. I like two facts: it is much smaller than the Tunze and you get an orientable wider flow.

Timo‘s Riff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ever consider getting just a bunch of Nero 5s or some gyres?
For all who can live with a regular cleaning schedule, the gyre‘s are first joice. I‘ve two XF350 since two years in my tank. The Octo Pulse are add on. Very impressive flow. Very silent (already had the Octo Pulse 4, Maxspect 250, Panta Rhei, Jebao SLW 20 and 30). But I have to clean them at least every two weeks to maintain maximum performance. After 3weeks they loose about 30% of flow power so regular cleaning is on duty.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back