Vreef's Fluval Evo 13.5 (first reef tank)

vreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first reef tank and I am definitely open to suggestions. I've had this tank since the beginning of July 2018.

I do 2-gallon weekly water changes (using Red Sea Coral Pro Salt) and my light is on 9 hours plus 15 min. ramp up and 15 min. ramp down (stock lighting for now). Too little?

Here was the initial set up:

260BED96-ADE7-40FE-BF4D-A00BE657B3DE.JPG
3C83014B-0563-4399-B004-0E5DF70F855F.JPG
4EF1CFD5-B224-4253-8C88-82D38EA90A8A.JPG

Equipment
:
  • CaribSea LifeRock
  • CaribSea Arag-Alive! Special Grade Reef
  • Stock lighting (planning on upgrading, maybe to an AI Prime)
  • Hydor Koralia Nano 240 circulation pump
  • Fluval Dual LED Aquarium Lamp Timer
Chamber one
  • Stock skimmer (I know it may be overkill with weekly water changes, but I like that it is pulling gunk out and the extra oxygen)
Chamber two
  • Blocked hole in chamber two, and removed stock sponge and replaced with inTank Chamber 2 with:
    • Filter pads
    • Boyd Chemi-Pure Blue
    • Seachem Seagel
    • Seachem Matrix
    • Marinepure cubes (I know I have plenty of bio filtration, but I'm trying to sustain my copepod population with no refugium)
Chamber three
  • Stock pump (thinking about upgrading)
  • Cobalt Neo-therm (75 watt)

Fish (no plans on more additions):
  • Two juvenile ocellaris clownfish
    • One mocha/black
    • One orange misbar

Clean-up crew (snail only):
  • 2 banded trochus snails
  • 3 nassarius snails
  • 5 cerith snails

Coral
(no plans on more additions):
  • Softies:
    • GSP
    • Superman rhodactis shroom
    • Blue ricordea shroom
  • LPS
    • Micromussa
    • Acan/Micro Lord
    • Blastomussa Merletti
    • Neon splatter hammer
  • SPS
    • ORA neon birdsnest
    • Starburst monti cap
    • Tyree rainbow stylo

Current tank (10.12.18):

66E30864-C30D-40D1-BB7C-92844B474B40.JPG

Last edited:

Talo’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank. I still use the stock lighting for my evo and my corals seems very happy. I have a mix of LPS and a few SPS. I run them for 10hrs a day. I do plan to upgrade the lighting in the future but for now I am content.

OP
OP
vreef

vreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank. I still use the stock lighting for my evo and my corals seems very happy. I have a mix of LPS and a few SPS. I run them for 10hrs a day. I do plan to upgrade the lighting in the future but for now I am content.

Thanks, Talo's Reef!

Yup. My corals seem happy too. Slow growth but they are retaining their color. I may consider upping my photoperiod to 10 hours like you. Maybe I'll get a little bit more growth. But yes. Saving up for an upgrade eventually too.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great! Welcome to the forum!

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice aquascape! Tank looks great. I agree stock light is fine, but plan on upgrading chamber 2 if/when the stock sponge gives me issues.

OP
OP
vreef

vreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice aquascape! Tank looks great. I agree stock light is fine, but plan on upgrading chamber 2 if/when the stock sponge gives me issues.

Thanks, Crazeh. Yeah, I'm really happy with how the aquascape turned out with the rock I got.

Highly recommend the inTank chamber 2 or some DYI version when you can. It makes customizing filtration easier and I saw my nitrates drop too.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my current tank with only 2 clowns and 2 snails at the mo. Not putting coral in yet. It will be mainly lps. But does anyone reckon the standard light will be enough fora BTA? Also how are you ramping up the lighting?

The tank itself may not be sufficient for a BTA. Some write ups advise at least a 30 gallon tank. BTA can grow up to 12" and the are prime to wander ti find the right light and flow (or if your parameters change). When a BTA roams it can wipe out the LPS and other corals.

I am not saying it can't be done. The clown-anemone bond is one of the coolest things in a tank, but understand the risks and keep in mind there is no guarantee they will bond.

I can't speak for the stock lights; a BTA can do well in moderate and low light, but it's tentacles will get long and stringy.

OP
OP
vreef

vreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Seems like we lost your initial question for some reason, but I do see it under NS Mike D's post (#13).

I agree with @NS Mike D 's sentiments about the BTA addition.

As far as ramping up the lighting, I am using Fluval's Dual LED Aquarium Lamp Timer. It's an alright timer to be honest (not a lot of control), but I like it for now especially for some ramp up/down time. Better than nothing at all! They just have a sunrise and sunset setting (15 minute ramp up and 15 minute ramp down), and they also have a moonlight feature.

Very cool scape by the way! Keep us posted.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a green bubble tip in my old 180litre which was fine it got quite big but had children and downsized to a nano. To be honest I'd only do lps if u can't get a nem in there. But I'm happy to just have 2 clowns and a BTA or 2. I have 2 other tanks so not worried about doing that as it's the one in my bedroom. My main tank is only 24 gallon (us) mixed Reef with a cheap Chinese viparspectra black box light I just wanted to try something different really.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 176 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back