Wade's Fiji Cube Apartment Tank!

WadePW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
19 years later I got myself an apartment, And along with that I decided a brand new tank, with some new toys to go with it :) I was on the waiting list for this apartment for a few months and in the mean time started to stock up on various equipment..... So while I wait for the tank to cycle and be coral ready I figured i'd get a decent tank build thread started up for it... So here goes nothing!

• Tank: Fiji Cube AIO 24g
  • Stand: Fiji Cube custom
  • Skimmer: Red Devil Nano-150
  • Light: AI Prime HD+
  • Wavemaker: Fiji Cube W-10
  • Apex Classic
  • Tunze ATO

Fiji Cube is a local company for me, and hosted a meeting for my local club (TCMAS) I loved the way the tanks looked so I picked up an AIO 24g cube, It's a nice size for my 1 bedroom apartment at just 18x18x18.

I've owned a Innovative Marine nuvo 20 previously and have to say, I love the back chamber on this Fiji Cube, It has a little more space than the IM nuvo which allows me to actually reach down to the bottom and clean or clear out anything I don't want in there. So far all I have to say about Fiji Cube is good things... I highly suggest them!
20171211_163156_zpsqwvpprs0.jpg

20171211_163308_zpsoqqrxtji.jpg

Picked up a bag of Florida crushed coral for the sand bed since I plan to have a couple mushrooms I wanted something a little more course for them to easily attach onto. Played around with 20lbs of reef rock from BRS and ended up with this aquascape...
20171211_162557_zpsmgerb4ws.jpg

Hooked up the Apex and wave maker on the stand door
20171212_144049_zpsdlg9u9hc.jpg

Had a little issue with the internet connection on the apex at first, Have the router set up in my desk in the other room, but nothing a little Ethernet over power adapter couldn't fix :) I knew I had those laying around for something...

At the end of the day this is what I have now sitting in the corner of my apartment... And I couldn't be happier with it.
20171212_145340_zps2cxtbnyx.jpg

Thanks to my families humor of 'house' warming gifts, I replaced the light switch cover on the switch right next to the tank....

20171211_173712_zpsknqwcowx.jpg

OP
OP
WadePW

WadePW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24g tank stocking ideas for fish?

Don't want any gobies that will move sand... have one that burrows in a different tank that always seems to move the sand onto my coral... lol.

OP
OP
WadePW

WadePW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got myself some nice xmas gifts this year.. As soon as the temp goes above 0 for a bit, I have 3 WWC OG bounces to be shipped to me :)

Will also be picking up a pair of Bangaii's after the 1st of the year to start off this tank. Any other suggestions for fish? Thinking firefish to add color and movement... But open to suggestions!

OP
OP
WadePW

WadePW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a yellow candy hogfish from LA DD, A nearly naked clown, and a six line wrasse from a local shop. Put together a cheap, but decent looking screen top for the cube to keep everyone from going carpet surfing.
ZM5X7tX.jpg

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not messing around! Awesome look! I've heard the coarser gravel can be a nitrate trap but I'm going with something coarser since I want mushrooms in my new build too (really want a rock covered with bounces too!). Can't wait to see them in the tank!

OP
OP
WadePW

WadePW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not messing around! Awesome look! I've heard the coarser gravel can be a nitrate trap but I'm going with something coarser since I want mushrooms in my new build too (really want a rock covered with bounces too!). Can't wait to see them in the tank!
I have a nice order of shrooms coming tomorrow, So keep an eye out over the next couple days for some eye candy ;)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice!

OP
OP
WadePW

WadePW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That screen looks great! Where did you get the materials for it?
I picked them up at Ace Hardware, Here are the same items on amazon, The screen is fairly easy to make aswell, just cut the aluminum frame to size, then cut a square of the screen and secure it with the rubber strip on the frame and cut the excess.

https://www.amazon.com/Shatex-Fiber...r=8-2-spons&keywords=window+screen+roll&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BD6ELK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
WadePW

WadePW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised.... Some eye candy :)

It's not the pieces I was expecting to get.... Was supposed to get a WWC Bounce, Sunkist Bounce, and a Night Rider mushroom shipped, but the seller dropped the ball and didn't ship the day he was supposed to.... So now we have to wait for another day above freezing temps for me to feel comfortable getting them shipped.

7DPA19O.jpg

cfPc23Y.jpg

szpt1h0.jpg

NlRHRFO.jpg

RIHNdL5.jpg

And... The Yellow Candy Hogfish, Quickly turning into my favorite fish in the tank :D
Tbcp7yY.jpg

OP
OP
WadePW

WadePW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! I like the third mushroom the best. Have your clowns harassed the hogfish at all?
So far everyone is getting along well, I have 2 Bangaii cardinals i have to go pick up later this week and then that'll be it.. So fingers crossed everyone plays nice :p

cPr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hows the tank going? You like the build quality?

They are local to me, so I'm thinking about grabbing one next week. Looks like yours is off to a solid start

OP
OP
WadePW

WadePW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows the tank going? You like the build quality?

They are local to me, so I'm thinking about grabbing one next week. Looks like yours is off to a solid start
The tank has been great, I've slacked on keeping this thread up to date but everything has been looking and going great... I HIGHLY suggest Fiji Cube!

OP
OP
WadePW

WadePW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrooms are in!!!

I was pretty disappointed with the order in all honesty, but the ones that actually got shipped look good!

Full tank shot!
One big butt green hairy shroom!
bWZ45wo.jpg

Shroom rock, couple variations of rhodactis and discomas. A beserker bounce and Night rider bounce are the 2 big name ones currently... A WWC OG bounce was shipped and was A LOT smaller than I was told it was... and shown pictures of. You can imagine how shipping a mushroom the size of a grain of rice would go, Yea not well, But can't dwell on it, the others are looking good.
QfFXaNR.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back