Waited for the moment - Finally doing a build thread

MyFirstCar

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 14, 2022
Messages
251
Reaction score
175
Location
San Francisco
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I recently moved from Canada to the Bay Area and I've slowly been getting my tank setup back up and running. My neighbour is tank-sitting for me in Canada, but its been at least 6 months so its time to start moving everything over. I'm also finally doing a build thread after 3 years of posting and asking questions here.

So, this build starts when I find a very well maintained used Reefer 200 XL for sale. Brought it home and wanted to try NSA aquascaping for this time. Over 4 months or so, I managed to find an hour or so each weekend and came up with this final result! I only have one in-progress pic unfortunately. Ended up re-building it a couple times as I got much better at gluing/epoxying parts together as time went on. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. I tried to give the fish lots of space to hide, but also keep everything viewable.

IMG_0957.JPG

IMG_0972.JPG
IMG_0971.JPG
IMG_0973.JPG

Next is leak check, then filling, then sand, cycling, and then shipping the my livestock over from Canada! I took a look at the support below my floor, and it looks pretty sturdy to me, but I thought I'd attach some photos here in case someone tells me leak checking this will create a 200XL shaped hole in my floor.

IMG_0967.JPG
IMG_0968.JPG
IMG_0966.JPG
IMG_0969.JPG
 
Following along!
 
And water is in! I'm pretty proud of the scape here if I may say so myself. Lots of surface area, and lots of fish habitat, but there's nowhere that can be seen by walking around the tank, and most importantly, from the top down there's no shadows over the entire thing, so all top surfaces are good for corals.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1034.jpg
    IMG_1034.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1031.jpg
    IMG_1031.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 11

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new