Wanna design my tank with more corals, but I need help and suggestions on what to put and where to put it!

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 29 gallon bio cube I already stocked with many corals, I have a rock in the back with many zoas(trying to grow a zoa garden) and a trumpet, while my big show rock has gsp duncan xenia(sadly) tune coral. I plan on adding simularia or sum I forget it’s name(green tree branch type). I was wondering I could put my frogspawn and maybe hammer if I get one. I really wanted to maybe buy a piece for the top shell part but I feel it will burn due to being so close to the lights. Let me know what you think and if you like my layout.
image.jpg
image.jpg

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely go with the euphyllia, I wouldn’t worry about anything bleaching in there. Throw whatever you want in, go crazy. An anemone would look great if your tank is 6 months old or older. Rock flower nems, hammer, cloves, pipe organ, shrooms, torch, frogspawn, octospawn, scolies, acan, Enchinata, blastos, micromussa, Daisy polyps, glove polyps, maybe some sps like pavona,chalice, even easy acros like purple bonsai, birdsnest, or red dragon would probably be fine. Or a clam??? Those are really super awesome. Here’s my tank, if you like anything just ask and I can ID it for you and give you some care tips.
BE455194-6CE9-4D1B-918A-E135FD1B5A0F.jpeg
594C25C2-41BB-49E9-8733-DCE2E336F4B1.jpeg
B499E7AF-E48C-4544-8CF0-CDB608A71027.jpeg
B31FA40E-50B4-4E2E-85EE-10D9E20C6544.jpeg
FD9E1646-6A08-4F72-ACE7-37BE1811E239.jpeg

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 29 gallon bio cube I already stocked with many corals, I have a rock in the back with many zoas(trying to grow a zoa garden) and a trumpet, while my big show rock has gsp duncan xenia(sadly) tune coral. I plan on adding simularia or sum I forget it’s name(green tree branch type). I was wondering I could put my frogspawn and maybe hammer if I get one. I really wanted to maybe buy a piece for the top shell part but I feel it will burn due to being so close to the lights. Let me know what you think and if you like my layout.
image.jpg
image.jpg
I also
Definitely go with the euphyllia, I wouldn’t worry about anything bleaching in there. Throw whatever you want in, go crazy. An anemone would look great if your tank is 6 months old or older. Rock flower nems, hammer, cloves, pipe organ, shrooms, torch, frogspawn, octospawn, scolies, acan, Enchinata, blastos, micromussa, Daisy polyps, glove polyps, maybe some sps like pavona,chalice, even easy acros like purple bonsai, birdsnest, or red dragon would probably be fine. Or a clam??? Those are really super awesome. Here’s my tank, if you like anything just ask and I can ID it for you and give you some care tips.
BE455194-6CE9-4D1B-918A-E135FD1B5A0F.jpeg
594C25C2-41BB-49E9-8733-DCE2E336F4B1.jpeg
B499E7AF-E48C-4544-8CF0-CDB608A71027.jpeg
B31FA40E-50B4-4E2E-85EE-10D9E20C6544.jpeg
FD9E1646-6A08-4F72-ACE7-37BE1811E239.jpeg
i have always wanted to put zoas on the incline space going torward to top shell but fear they will burn out or melt, I also would love to put maybe a small rock on the bottom right coming out from under the shelf to hold the frogspawn and hammer. I have never ever tried growing chalice and have a lot of questions about it. I always see some type of chalice coral that can attack to the edge of the rock and grow out and it looks so cool. Never been able to Id the actual coral though! I also have questions on scans as I only have one and would love to have a garden of acans and favia and maybe even wilsoni coral. Definently need more color to the sand bed!

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I also

i have always wanted to put zoas on the incline space going torward to top shell but fear they will burn out or melt, I also would love to put maybe a small rock on the bottom right coming out from under the shelf to hold the frogspawn and hammer. I have never ever tried growing chalice and have a lot of questions about it. I always see some type of chalice coral that can attack to the edge of the rock and grow out and it looks so cool. Never been able to Id the actual coral though! I also have questions on scans as I only have one and would love to have a garden of acans and favia and maybe even wilsoni coral. Definently need more color to the sand bed!
also I have been looking at nems and wanted one but to afraid a Big nem will harm my soft corals and maybe even harm my fish! I love rock flowers nems but it’s so hard to find the beautiful ones. I wanna grow more mushrooms and more tree like corals maybe like a branching hammer or simularia or like a birds nest, but another question what’s this?
B51B9246-6777-4F98-A73E-2AB32470CF4C.png

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also

Yes!!! For the sand bed I really love scolies (as you can see, I have two). Plate corals, open brains, lobos, and elegance corals are also great for the sand. There’s only one chalice in this tank, on the rock with the pink scoly. This one is called a Miami Hurricane, grows pretty quick and is very beautiful. Hollywood stunner is by far the fastest growing chalice and easiest for beginners. If you want an acan garden, only get acan lords cause they play nice with other acans. My green acan burned the hell outta my kryptonite candy canes (killed 2 out of 3 polyps) and I think it’s a different species (Japanese?). Favias are cheap and easy to grow, they encrust mostly IME. Don’t worry about burning your zoas, just get a magnetic frag rack (like $20?) and move them up the tank slowly so they can acclimate to the light. Like one inch up every two weeks or so until they’re at the level you want. Good luck!

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

also I have been looking at nems and wanted one but to afraid a Big nem will harm my soft corals and maybe even harm my fish! I love rock flowers nems but it’s so hard to find the beautiful ones. I wanna grow more mushrooms and more tree like corals maybe like a branching hammer or simularia or like a birds nest, but another question what’s this?
B51B9246-6777-4F98-A73E-2AB32470CF4C.png
Those are clove polyps, specifically WWC fireworks, I’d be happy to send you a frag if you wanna pay shipping for it. I charge about $30 for a frag with around 5 adult polyps, WWC charges about $80 I think. The trick to getting them fluffy like that is high flow. They never sting other corals and are very beautiful, plus easy to frag. It’s fun to experiment with how flow affects the way they look as well. Very hardy coral. Here’s a good pic of my mother colony and here’s a frag I’m trying to sell right now. The other frag is WWC flame tipped clove.
A45A0FBB-7EC2-4298-B094-B57756405698.jpeg
44760E66-F64C-4D9B-867C-04A4424BB354.jpeg

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two very small clownfish about 1” and a cherub angel maybe 1 1/2” with my bubble tip nem. I’m also trying to sell a split from this nem. Poses absolutely no threat and all of my fish are happy and healthy. None of my bubble tips have ever harmed another member of the tank.
Mother nem
2E337EF1-06EA-4AF1-ABC6-C364DA366131.jpeg

Baby about 3” across
47BE91F6-5482-42F5-8CE6-014CD18361CF.jpeg
9F890E86-A119-4788-9B84-AFE23263A784.jpeg

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two very small clownfish about 1” and a cherub angel maybe 1 1/2” with my bubble tip nem. I’m also trying to sell a split from this nem. Poses absolutely no threat and all of my fish are happy and healthy. None of my bubble tips have ever harmed another member of the tank.
Mother nem
2E337EF1-06EA-4AF1-ABC6-C364DA366131.jpeg

Baby about 3” across
47BE91F6-5482-42F5-8CE6-014CD18361CF.jpeg
9F890E86-A119-4788-9B84-AFE23263A784.jpeg
Really? I heard bubble tip memes were invasive and would hurt approaching corals?

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I heard bubble tip memes were invasive and would hurt approaching corals?
Yes!!! For the sand bed I really love scolies (as you can see, I have two). Plate corals, open brains, lobos, and elegance corals are also great for the sand. There’s only one chalice in this tank, on the rock with the pink scoly. This one is called a Miami Hurricane, grows pretty quick and is very beautiful. Hollywood stunner is by far the fastest growing chalice and easiest for beginners. If you want an acan garden, only get acan lords cause they play nice with other acans. My green acan burned the hell outta my kryptonite candy canes (killed 2 out of 3 polyps) and I think it’s a different species (Japanese?). Favias are cheap and easy to grow, they encrust mostly IME. Don’t worry about burning your zoas, just get a magnetic frag rack (like $20?) and move them up the tank slowly so they can acclimate to the light. Like one inch up every two weeks or so until they’re at the level you want. Good luck!
One more question! Do you think torches can survive extreme lighting? I was gonna put one on the top shelf the shell, but again probably gonna burn

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh absolutely they can. If you look in the middle by my cloves, you can see my dragon soul torch. Indo torches love extremely high flow and moderate to high light. Mine is about as high up as I can get it in my tank.

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh absolutely they can. If you look in the middle by my cloves, you can see my dragon soul torch. Info torches love extremely high flow and moderate to high light. Mine is about as high up as I can get it in my tank.
Sounds good, even though torches can really put a dent in your bank account.... hahahaha

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While wandering, they can sting corals that they come into contact with. However, mine have not stung anything. They’ve come into contact with torches, hammer, gsp, birdsnest, favia, and a scoly. My mother nem actually touches a favia and my scoly on a daily basis and neither have shown any signs of damage, it’s been about 4 months now.

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah. I got my dragon soul for $40 about a month ago. That one kinda hurt.
Man I’ve been really considering buying one, but I always chicken out bc is afraid I’ll kill it due to where I place it, or it will look dumb sitting where I want it. I hope you don’t mind but I love talking to other reefers and getting suggestions, do you mind maybe looking back at my tank and suggesting where some corals were to go including a torch, I want you to aquas cape with various corals. Again you don’t have to but I love the input of other reefers!

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I’ve been really considering buying one, but I always chicken out bc is afraid I’ll kill it due to where I place it, or it will look dumb sitting where I want it. I hope you don’t mind but I love talking to other reefers and getting suggestions, do you mind maybe looking back at my tank and suggesting where some corals were to go including a torch, I want you to aquas cape with various corals. Again you don’t have to but I love the input of other reefers!
I’d love to!! I love helping out other reefers. I’m an artist so I really really love helping with aquascaping!

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna try to keep it as cheap as possible, but I can always recommend more expensive corals if you’d like me to. I’m going to make separate posts for each area of the tank

Sand Bed

Okay, I LOVE your gorgonian, always wanted one myself actually. But I feel like it should go in the back to add some depth to your tank. Where the gorgonian is now, I feel like a scoly, clam, or lobo would look abosolutely gorgeous, pick whatever color you really feel speaks to you. Dotted around the sand I think an acan garden would look amazing, large colonies become spherical so having a bunch of acan balls would be amazing. Blastomussa would also look absolutely gorgeous. In the back left, I can definitely see a large, undulating colony of elegance coral. Buying one head will produce 3 heads in 3 months if fed a few times weekly to increase growth. Colt coral might look good in the back right along with your gorgonian or a green toadstool for a vibrant pop of color.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can send pics with the lid open as well if you like!
Yes!! I’d actually feel like if you took the kid off entirely and got an AI Prime (that’s the light I use) you’d see a lovely growth in your corals, I’m noticing your zoas are very browned out which makes me believe that your lighting is not as intense as they’d like it. I have 2 AI primes over a 20 gallon tank.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Staircase on the left side

If you made this a euphyllia garden I’d be drooling!! Wall hammers closer to the sand/top and branching hammers towards the middle. Wall hammers grow like bushes (longer) and branching hammers grow more like trees and form tennis ball shapes after a while, so they’re good for hiding the skeletons of the wall hammers. Some clove/zoas just to cover the skeleton of the wall hammers by the sand or you can use branching hammers. Hammers can fully touch each other with no issues, in my tank I have a pink branching hammer with tentacles intertwined with the radioactive green wall hammer and they’re very happy!! A gigantic tie dye splash of color waving in the flow just sounds terrific. There are ‘frammers’ which are hammer/frogspawn hybrids. Not sure if they coexist with hammers just as well but I’m sure you can research that on here somewhere. At the very top of the hammer garden, kind of as a barrier I think some torches would looks great! If I recall correctly, torches play nice with each other but I do feel as if it’s worth a trip to google.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back