OP
OP
WannaBSpaghetti

WannaBSpaghetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't necessarily count out gyres just yet on noise alone. The noise is really, really subjective. One reefer will state that while it was louder than an MP40 it was still very quiet and they had to put their ear to the tank to even hear it, while the next reefer will compare it to a chainsaw. So what I guess I'm saying is YES, they are louder than an MP40, but NO they are not "loud" and it really depends on how sensitive you are to any noise from the tank and where the tank is.

I'm really back-and-forth on it, because for the nearly $700 price point I could get a pair of really beefy Gyres and run them both at low percentages and probably have virtually no noise and sill probably save a hundred bucks. By far I am having more trouble picking a flow option than any other piece of equipment.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I run two XF250 Gyres on a 120g peninsula, one on each "short" end, located in the middle of my house. I can only here the one on the exposed end if I put my ear right up against it, and even that is just a very minor "buzzing/humming" noise. I realize this is just my opinion and it's in my particular situation, but I can assure you, if you could here them, they would be removed - by my wife!!!!!!!!!

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I mean, if you're hyper sensitive to any noise at all, then sure, maybe it's worth the premium for MP40s. However, especially if the tank is going in a high traffic area of the house like the living room, you are likely never going to hear anything unless you're looking for it. So what is more important to you? The gyre flow pattern or utter silence? Perhaps you could buy the gyre on Amazon and give it a try. If you don't like it they will let you return it with free shipping. Again, you do you, it's your tank and you should be happy with it. But it seems a bit like you'd prefer a gyre but are afraid of the noise. I would probably go the route of an amazon order and return if you find it too loud.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta agree on the Gyre’s not being all that loud. I have two 230’s on my Reefer 250. I only hear them when theres no other noise in the room. TV, kitchen, radio or whatever. You’ll probably only be able to run them at 40-50% without it being too much flow. Mine are set to 20 and 30%. If i need to go higher than that then its time for me to clean them. The 250’s may not even set to a low enough % to not be too much.

OP
OP
WannaBSpaghetti

WannaBSpaghetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your input -
Yes, I did a bit of digging and think I will go with a pair of Gyre 230s. A pair of 230s with controller comes in at only 60% of the cost of a pair of MP40QDs brand new. I read a whole lot of reviews of people who were upset about the noise clarifying after a month that they got a LOT better and trying to undo some of the harm they did with the initial criticism. Its rare that people will admit to being wrong about a product and admit to it in order to praise it instead, so I'll take that as a rave review.

So I'm updating again, replacing the plans for 2x MP40QD ($698) with a pair of Maxspect Gyre 230s w/ controller ($430).

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also running two 230's on my reefer 250 and love the pumps. As everyone else mentioned noise on mine can be heard if they ramp up at a high percentage, the living space where my tank is located is rarely ever silent. I've done videos on with my phone pushed up against the glass, when I listen to the video I can hear the pumps. That's only because the mic is picking up the noise from being up against the glass. My pumps turn purple ( coralline algae ) every few months. I shut the gyre controller off, take one pump out and run it in vinegar and water next to the tank. Do a fresh water run for a few minutes and back into the tank. I took the pumps apart this past weekend to do a complete clean, no issues for me with that. To minimize any confusion I take one side of the pump apart at a time for cleaning.

The fact I could run 2 pumps off one controller was big for me, also saving one power outlet on my apex. I use the Neptune AFS and have the gyre pumps shut off when the AFS runs.

OP
OP
WannaBSpaghetti

WannaBSpaghetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my PC died and has pushed the project back a ways - but really I thought better of my plan to order the tank and have it sitting empty as I gathered the rest of the equipment - so the timeline has changed! I will be pushing Tank Phase to the very end of the project so that when it comes in the mail I get to set it all up and have it running immediately.

Cash is a bit tight going into the holiday season - so my next project will be Rocks! I will be going for 50 lbs of Reef-saver dry rock and assembling a nice-looking scape on a table before the tank comes. I'll post pictures of the scape as I plan it here and in the Scape forum.

Any suggestions on how to assemble a scape for a mixed reef to maximize surface area for the common LPS corals (I'm fond of LPS, but will probably keep a couple zoas, softies, and SPS if I can.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back