Reefer 250g2 build

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a reefer 170 and a 350 both older, purchased used that have been running a few years. I generally buy used because - well you know - you can pick up everything for half price. This go round I purchased a new reefer 250 to upgrade the 170 that’s starting to show signs of wear and algae in the seams.

I did go back and forth between the 250 and the waterbox 90.3 which are both 3’ tanks 65-69 gallons total volume. We all know the issues with the reefer G1’s so I’m hoping the G2 series are better. The main reason for going red sea even though I was interested in the waterbox was primarily the smaller sump with room for equipment in the cabinet and overall better availability. I will say I’ve sent questions to waterbox CS that we’re never answered and that didn’t help in the decision.

about The only thing I can use from the 170 is the xr15 G6 and maybe the MP10 so here’s what I have so far:

tank that needs to be set up and leveled
2x XR15G6 pros
vectra s2
reef ato that came with the tank
inkird controller with 200 watt BRS titanium heater
1 MP10 which may or may not work on 12mm glass
reefmat 500

not sure on a skimmer I know nyos is all the rage but I’ve had good luck with bubble magus so may just get a curve A5. Not sure if I’ll get an apex or not I have a full A2 on my 350 and don’t use many of the features. I have a DOS that I"m not using so I may connect that to the apex and use the bubble magus T11 from the 350.

pics To follow…

OP
OP
A

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice good luck I have a 250 as well. I look forward to seeing your progress. Do yourself a favor and replace the valve with a gate valve best upgrade I have done to the tank yet!
I did order the metric to standard plumbing kit but only planned on doing the return 3/4” to 3/4”. Might be a good time to add a gate valve. I literally never mess with the diaphragm valve on the reefers. If they make noise they make noise…but since I’m in there

OP
OP
A

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A super exciting palet that nobody has seen before
IMG_4908.jpeg

IMG_4912.jpeg

A quit check to make sure everything arrived in one piece

IMG_4920.jpeg

The tank is in my office so right now everything is a mess
IMG_4931.jpeg

This is as far as I’ve got. Seems impossible to get the doors perfectly aligned
IMG_4529.jpeg

The reefer 170 the 250 is replacing. It’s basically been taken over by 2 CC infernos nems

IMG_4916.jpeg

Why I’m doing all this
more to come

OP
OP
A

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY controller cabinet. I got the wrong hinges so the door is jacked but I should be able to get all the wires and power bricks behind the door and mounted. I did this one a little different than my last one this has a wall the entire length of the cabinet (but not full height) to separate the electronics from the sump.
tempImagemN9Ivo.png

OP
OP
A

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much going on too busy at work to mess with this outside of the weekends. Hoping to fill it up next weekend and transfer rock / corals / fish from the 170. I'll probably get another apex so I left room on the board for it. Had to order 2 more brackets for the powerheads that will mount in line with the return. Undecided on whether I'm going to steal the BM T-11 thats connected to another tank, with full apex and just connect the dos that ive had sitting around for about 2 years, or get a Reef Dose. Oh, and kinda always wanted a white sump...so figured why not. Hole covers / grommets I had did not fit so ordered target ones on Amazon.

tempImageCXFmpH.jpg

tempImageYqP4YP.jpg

tempImagejtQbXN.jpg

OP
OP
A

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controller door is just leaning up against the board so it looks kinda wonky. I'll look better when all the controllers get mounted and I put in the grommets
tempImageMWDgb3.jpg

OP
OP
A

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man about a week and a half ago I had help and started draining the old tank. I could not get the nems off the back wall. Im going to try again this week. I'd really like to have my office back!
tempImagezOPiQo.png

tempImagemBeiLF.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back