OP
OP
NabberNate

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my nitrates finally fell. Bottle of API didn't do anything but a 20% water change and bottle of niteout2 did wonders. Of course it was also day 25 right on schedule.

Anyways, got my first lifeforms via 4 little hermit crabs and a coralline encrusted shell so that is cool. So addicted to the little buggers already want 10 more. Anyway, I think I'm going to get a fire fish while I wait on LFS to get 3 banggia cardinal fish but I'm told I need a net for the top with these guys. I checked out screens at HD but I think light pass through even with the clear versions will be quite restricted so probably just order from BRS.

Thoughts?

Do you all like the 1/4" or 1/8"? Black or clear? One firefish not enough? After banggia I'll be looking at watchmen goby I think.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NabberNate

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to get into a groove.

2 ocellaris, 2 blue fin damsels, 1 watchman goby, 1 orchid dottyback, 1 firefish, 1 fighting conch, 4 banded trochus, 3 hermit crabs, 3 blue leg crabs, zero nitrates, zero coralline.

*sigh*

Attachments

• 20210520_225033.jpg
    20210520_225033.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
NabberNate

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while and with the recent article of the day on build threads I thought I would provide some updates.

Equipment
-
After getting rid of my fluval sp6 and trying two other pumps (jebao and reeflo submersible) I went back and bought another fluval sp6 and am super happy with it. Turns out the water level in my external overflow was too low which is what was causing the noise. I changed the plumbing slightly to use flexible hose without any adapter on the fluval and I'm picking up maybe 10% more flow plus less vibration noise. So the hose goes directly over the mpt on the pump without using the barb fitting adapter. Highly recommend this approach.

- I was utilizing a right angle to branch off my return pump to feed my skimmer but not getting quite enough flow so I also changed that out to be a wye. The aquac skimmer is running perfectly now!

- Other equipment changes include getting a tunze wakemaker (not controllable) and a used Tunze ato and reservoir custom made by Jeff at lifereef. Adding the extra flow in the tank has caused my coralline to explode!!! I kind of miss seeing gray rocks =/ I'm 90% encrusted and my alk - calcium uptake is ridiculous.

- More recently I added a kalk stirrer (bubble Magus) and quickly realized that I didn't need to get the ato in the first place. I basically can dial in my replacement water needed due to evaporation and skimmer discharge completely using the kalk stirrer. After running 1.5 gallons a day through the kalk stirrer I still need to manually dose with 2 part to maintain alk and calcium. My water level is able to be adjusted once a week with my water changes and honestly it is almost exactly the same as the previous week. Pretty nice when things are dialed in.

- I also added an external air line to my skimmer and that has given me .5 higher ph (7.9 to 8 4) and more stability. Everything is happier!

- I'm looking to get a tunze stream 3 to add more flow and also some sort of a doser so that I can start adding corals. I want the ghl doser but I'll probably go cheaper and used to start off. I could probably get by without the doser and just manually dose but I really get upset at any losses so I would like a little extra stability. Plus I would like to take a vacation at some point.

A few pics of where things are then vs now so you can see the explosion =)

Cheers...

20221107_150220.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
NabberNate

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the before and after plumbing. Newer one on top. Minor change but big difference for what I was trying to do.

Attachments

• 20210903_122521.jpg
    20210903_122521.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 20

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back