Want to get into dosing. Hand vs automatic vs reactors?

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to do this new 72 build right. In my wifes 32 i dose by hand, mostly CAL, but on the 72, ill have a much larger coral draw, What are the pros and cons of all of this. Is it best to go hand dose so you test more, and be more interactive with the tank, or a Dosing ;pump like the Jebao WIfi, or should i find a way to make reactors fit in my stand?

Tell me about the ins and outs for someone just starting down that path. The old 90 definitely taught me some stuff.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest difference between hand dosing and using a doser is consistency I feel, unless you have time to periodically dose by hand, you can program a doser to dose several times throughout the day. Plus, using a doser takes another task out of your hands making reefing a little easier. When you say reactor, are you talking about a cal reactor, if so your tank really isn’t big enough to make it cost effective.

Have you thought about using kalk in your Ato.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest difference between hand dosing and using a doser is consistency I feel, unless you have time to periodically dose by hand, you can program a doser to dose several times throughout the day. Plus, using a doser takes another task out of your hands making reefing a little easier. When you say reactor, are you talking about a cal reactor, if so your tank really isn’t big enough to make it cost effective.

Have you thought about using kalk in your Ato.
i have not, what does that entail? I use IORC for salt, so i know it usually runs high. My want for a doser comes down to weird schedules, getting stuck at work, forgetting to dose etc, at least with a doser, i could do it throughout the day, and test on the weekends and adjust it as i need.

That was my biggest question, if a CAL reactor would be cost effective. I intend to keep mostly LPS, with a few choice SPS such as montis, but may dabble and try some other stuff.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start dosing by hand, mostly so you can appreciate not having to do it when you get a doser.:p
I dosed by hand for 16 months! I LOVE AND APPRECIATE AND RESPECT MY DOSER!

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have not, what does that entail? I use IORC for salt, so i know it usually runs high. My want for a doser comes down to weird schedules, getting stuck at work, forgetting to dose etc, at least with a doser, i could do it throughout the day, and test on the weekends and adjust it as i need.

That was my biggest question, if a CAL reactor would be cost effective. I intend to keep mostly LPS, with a few choice SPS such as montis, but may dabble and try some other stuff.
I started using kalk in my ato and it worked fine, problem is it comes down to the amount of evaporation in you tank, it works great when your demand for alk and cal isn’t very high, plus it will keep you ph up. It’s as simple as mixing it and dumping it in your ato. I switched to a doser because I went mainly sps and I wanted consistency. The biggest plus to a doser is that you don’t have to be there, it dose it for you, and like yourself, my work schedule can get hectic sometimes. With a doser you have the ability to change the amount you dos, in most cases down to the .1 of a ml, unfortunately with kalk you don’t have that type of precision. In most cases kalk will be fine though. Cal reactors can be costly as their is several pieces you have to buy, not to mention the media, most reefers only start to use them when their dosing is well above 100 ml a day and they also have tanks well above 100 gals. As far as stand alone doser, I don’t have much experience as I have a Apex and I use the Dos, the only stand alone doser I know anything about, and it’s very little would be a ghl doser as you only need the master module to control it.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using kalk in my ato and it worked fine, problem is it comes down to the amount of evaporation in you tank, it works great when your demand for alk and cal isn’t very high, plus it will keep you ph up. It’s as simple as mixing it and dumping it in your ato. I switched to a doser because I went mainly sps and I wanted consistency. The biggest plus to a doser is that you don’t have to be there, it dose it for you, and like yourself, my work schedule can get hectic sometimes. With a doser you have the ability to change the amount you dos, in most cases down to the .1 of a ml, unfortunately with kalk you don’t have that type of precision. In most cases kalk will be fine though. Cal reactors can be costly as their is several pieces you have to buy, not to mention the media, most reefers only start to use them when their dosing is well above 100 ml a day and they also have tanks well above 100 gals. As far as stand alone doser, I don’t have much experience as I have a Apex and I use the Dos, the only stand alone doser I know anything about, and it’s very little would be a ghl doser as you only need the master module to control it.
I wont be running APEX on this, i just cant just justify the cost for what id actually use it for. I want to keep LPS, clams, and some SPS such as slimer and monti, nothing exotic or anything. What would be the recommendation? When do you introduce dosing? etc?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I use a apex myself, I don’t have much knowledge on standalone doser, but I looked into a ghl stand alone doser, though it will probably cost more than most standalone doser, it can have as many as 4 pumps on the master unit and a bunch more on the slave module add on, plus the quality is there. You start dosing when water changes alone don’t take care of Alk and Cal and Mag. How often do you do water changes? If you are able to maintain parameters with water changes then the tank doesn’t really need dosing yet. If you are like I was initially and did water change monthly or longer, then I would start to dose now to maintain parameters.

What do you plan on using, if you are going to use BRS 2-part, then you can use their calculator, makes it simple.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I use a apex myself, I don’t have much knowledge on standalone doser, but I looked into a ghl stand alone doser, though it will probably cost more than most standalone doser, it can have as many as 4 pumps on the master unit and a bunch more on the slave module add on, plus the quality is there. You start dosing when water changes alone don’t take care of Alk and Cal and Mag. How often do you do water changes? If you are able to maintain parameters with water changes then the tank doesn’t really need dosing yet. If you are like I was initially and did water change monthly or longer, then I would start to dose now to maintain parameters.

What do you plan on using, if you are going to use BRS 2-part, then you can use their calculator, makes it simple.
This is a new build hence the questions. The 90 got town down, remaining coral went to my wife's tank, and fish went to my 220. She bought. E a 72 gallon bow for Christmas, so I'm planning out the gear I still need. I've been told 2 part is the most cost effective. I was doing water changes on the 90 every few months, but where i run reef crystals I was likely shocking things with too much of a rise of alk.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a new build hence the questions. The 90 got town down, remaining coral went to my wife's tank, and fish went to my 220. She bought. E a 72 gallon bow for Christmas, so I'm planning out the gear I still need. I've been told 2 part is the most cost effective. I was doing water changes on the 90 every few months, but where i run reef crystals I was likely shocking things with too much of a rise of alk.
Ask all the questions you like. You can go either kalk or 2-part, from a cost standpoint I would have to say kalk is the lowest and easiest. 2-part isn't much more expensive, a little more upfront maybe for pumps and such, but you have more control over the dosing amount and times. Since I switched to 2-part a year ago I would definitely say you can keep parameters tighter.

Just now looking at some stand alone pumps on BRS, the Bubble Magus stand alone pumps are good, and they aren't to much money, the GHL is roughly 200 more dollars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask all the questions you like. You can go either kalk or 2-part, from a cost standpoint I would have to say kalk is the lowest and easiest. 2-part isn't much more expensive, a little more upfront maybe for pumps and such, but you have more control over the dosing amount and times. Since I switched to 2-part a year ago I would definitely say you can keep parameters tighter.

Just now looking at some stand alone pumps on BRS, the Bubble Magus stand alone pumps are good, and they aren't to much money, the GHL is roughly 200 more dollars.

A buddy who also works at my LFS suggested the bubble magnus. I also hear good things about the Jebao wifi. Know anything about that? I only think 2 part as i have resources in the reef club and others to help where needed, and its the one if heard the most about. Plus i should have room under the stand for some bottles and a doser.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, never heard of the Jaebo wifi. As far as the 2-part, I recommend BRS's 2-part as its the same formula as Randy Holmes Farleys, plus you can use the calculator on BRS and it makes dosing very easy.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, never heard of the Jaebo wifi. As far as the 2-part, I recommend BRS's 2-part as its the same formula as Randy Holmes Farleys, plus you can use the calculator on BRS and it makes dosing very easy.
I would do BRS 2 part because of the calculators.

THis was the doser i was told about

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the one you were talking about from bubble magnus? My buddy reccomended me this one yesterday, and might even have a new one in box so i could likely save a few there.

3 channels should be fine right?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do BRS 2 part because of the calculators.

THis was the doser i was told about

My only concern would be could you get replacement heads for the pumps, they can and do wear out and break. You couldn't go wrong with either bubble magus, 3 pump should be fine, if you want more you can add a slave module to it down the road, maybe to add trace elements or something. You can get replacement heads for the Bubble Magus.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only concern would be could you get replacement heads for the pumps, they can and do wear out and break. You couldn't go wrong with either bubble magus, 3 pump should be fine, if you want more you can add a slave module to it down the road, maybe to add trace elements or something. You can get replacement heads for the Bubble Magus.
Thats my fear as well. I ran Jebao ( still have two in the 220) flow pumps for a while, bot a year our of them, and then just bought a gyre. I like the Bubble magnus, but i dont see that they have a wifi option yet. Not a big deal, just read of some timer issues. expandable is nice too.

I dont see the need to do more than 3 do you? I know some people dose Nopox too to help with nitrates, but 2 part takes 2, then i have a 3rd for say a trace elements mix or something. I cant think of a reason for more....

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use only 2 pumps, one for Alk and one for Cal, I manually dos Mag as its something that the tank doesn't use much of, monthly test and dosing for Mag. The 3rd pump could also be a spare.

I manually dos trace elements as its something that can be done daily or weekly, and it isn't much.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use only 2 pumps, one for Alk and one for Cal, I manually dos Mag as its something that the tank doesn't use much of, monthly test and dosing for Mag. The 3rd pump could also be a spare.

I manually dos trace elements as its something that can be done daily or weekly, and it isn't much.
That makes sense. My Mag always stayed well in the old 90. i tested it often as for a long time i thought that was the root of my problem. Now the containers. Is it worth spending the $$ for actual containers, or go the Voss bottle or Dollar tree special container? This is a closed stand, but i am looking for ease of use here. The sump has the rod holders, and such integrated so i can plumb it in there easily, but the bottles i see mixed remarks on.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can either buy the containers or just use jubs, but I would suggest getting fittings to install in the jugs to allow you to hook up the 1/4 in line along with tube that go to the bottom of jug. I bought containers as they matched my sump.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 75.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back