Want to learn to solder and do circuit card repair like a pro?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was in the Air Force I was privileged enough to go to the 2M school for the military. It's an 8 week course and everyday you are digging deeper and deeper into soldering and circuit card repair.

The manual (tech data) we used is online and can teach you nearly everything you need to do the work. If these are skills you want to learn then by all means download the manual and start reading. It covers the basics all the way to multi layer circuit card repair.

Also before anyone freeks out over a link to Military tech data, there are thousands of manuals online for people to download that are military. This is just one of those.

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was in the Air Force I was privileged enough to go to the 2M school for the military. It's an 8 week course and everyday you are digging deeper and deeper into soldering and circuit card repair.

The manual (tech data) we used is online and can teach you nearly everything you need to do the work. If these are skills you want to learn then by all means download the manual and start reading. It covers the basics all the way to multi layer circuit card repair.

If the swear filter blocks the letters they are A F

Also before anyone freeks out over a link to Military tech data, there are thousands of manuals online for people to download that are military. This is just one of those.

Thanks for sharing. At 892 pages, it would appear to be an extensive manual!

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:p:p:p:p:p

A w e s o m e

So I'm using your Method on my Retro boards hightlighted in the other post.

I'm going to go buy this stuff. I've never used FLUX but asssssssume you only use the tiniest droplet (?). Pleaee advise
20200207_130339.jpg

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I use. And only a pin head of it is needed.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:p:p:p:p:p

A w e s o m e

So I'm using your Method on my Retro boards hightlighted in the other post.

I'm going to go buy this stuff. I've never used FLUX but asssssssume you only use the tiniest droplet (?). Pleaee advise
20200207_130339.jpg
I've never used that product, but yeah, a tiny amount does the job with flux. The stuff I use is in a tub and I dip the tip of a wire brush in it and apply a dab, just enough to get the solder to run across the target area. If that tube is the size of a super glue dispenser it should last you quite a while.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should record a soldering How To vid... upload to YouTube and share with us!

Dooooooooo it!
Nope, no need to and no interest in posting on Youtube.

The manual does a good job and has pictures to show people how.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the stuff I use. I bought my 2oz tub back in 2004 and it'll probably still be 3/4 full when the sun explodes.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do yourself a favour and skip the crappy radioshack soldering irons. most of them have tips that you cant replace and will start breaking down very quickly.

even the chinese clones of the good ones work very well.

i have heard of people saying not to use wet sponges to clean the head even if it does a good job of it, because of possible tip damage with temperature shocks causing the plating to crack off.

i bought a small tub of no clean flux and over many years i have used maybe 5% of it, i think itll become my family's inheritance that will be passed down for generations to come lol

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RadioShack used to be a convenience thing for me because they were everywhere. I'd advise anyone looking at this type of stuff today to look elsewhere.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a person is serious about getting started in soldering these bare bones units are what I would consider. Temp control is very important.

You can spend as much as you like. In this case you get what you pay for. A digital readout temp control multi tip iron set is great to have.

If I were buying new today, this would be the unit I would get:

Last edited:

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sick of soldering. Between toggle boxes and float switches, thats about 4,000 connections in 2019 lol

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sick of soldering. Between toggle boxes and float switches, thats about 4,000 connections in 2019 lol
The funny thing, so many hobbyists are like.. that’s good enough, which in 99% of cases it is. The manual for the techniques above are for aircraft and space grade quality work. Tolerances are a little tighter. ;)

brandon clow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hakko FX 951-66 all the way. I have loved every hakko station I have ever owned a lot more then my Weller's.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always looked at the fancier sets back in the day but once I got done working whatever I was working on I’d forget until the next time (kind of like buying a generator after a hurricane and forgetting about it once my power came back on). Heck, at one point I found myself reflowing entire Xbox 360 motherboards with a Jerry rigged aluminum foil reflector pan and the black and decker heat gun I used to shine my boots. Every time I told myself to get some better equipment but then I’d go off and do something else.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back