Want to start a 10 gallon nano for seahorses what do I need?

barndtman84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I am an experienced coral reef addict lol, now last time I had a couple sea horses & even gave birth but I was 5 yrs old now I'm 28 so I just wanted to throw out a few questions & if anyone with knowledge on this I would apriciate any tips or help.

Now I know they need low flow ( I also build refugiums could put one in there) and they need stuff to latch onto. I'm just gonna use an old 10 gal tank & I have tanks with just LR and I was gonna throw some chaeto in since I have an unlimited supply lol.

So first I wanna figure out what type of filtration to use. I have a nice submersible filter with mini wet/dry built in would that work. I also have hang on's but if someone could recommend which they would use also so I not add a powerhead? Also also do they require hi output lighting or can I use led strips. Ok last 2 ?? Lol as far as for food do they need live pods like my mandarin if not what would work. So my last question is what would be some good sea horses for a 10gal reef and if so what fish inverts can live together? Thanks for any tips I receive.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I am an experienced coral reef addict lol, now last time I had a couple sea horses & even gave birth but I was 5 yrs old now I'm 28 so I just wanted to throw out a few questions & if anyone with knowledge on this I would apriciate any tips or help.

Now I know they need low flow ( I also build refugiums could put one in there) and they need stuff to latch onto. I'm just gonna use an old 10 gal tank & I have tanks with just LR and I was gonna throw some chaeto in since I have an unlimited supply lol.

So first I wanna figure out what type of filtration to use. I have a nice submersible filter with mini wet/dry built in would that work. I also have hang on's but if someone could recommend which they would use also so I not add a powerhead? Also also do they require hi output lighting or can I use led strips. Ok last 2 ?? Lol as far as for food do they need live pods like my mandarin if not what would work. So my last question is what would be some good sea horses for a 10gal reef and if so what fish inverts can live together? Thanks for any tips I receive.

Honestly, the only type of seahorses that I would consider putting in a ten gallon aquarium are dwarf seahorses. You have to do a herd of them in a ten gallon tank. They only eat live foods such as baby brine shrimp. You would have to take extra precautions with your equipment since these seahorses could easily be sucked into the filtration. A reef would not be suitable for these seahorses, but you could do a macro tank for them. This will provide ample hitches for them. Some people keep pipefish with their dwarf seahorses.

OP
OP
B

barndtman84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey thanks for the advice, once when i was a child my father had a mated pair in a 125 gal tank " dont ask how they didnt get caught in flitration" but i actually witnessed the male giving birth which was amazing. Do you think its possible to keep a seahorse in my refugium for my 125 gal? my only worry is not alot of room and they will depleat my pods. but its just something i was thinking of doing as a side project but i just got back into coral propogation. thanks again!!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey thanks for the advice, once when i was a child my father had a mated pair in a 125 gal tank " dont ask how they didnt get caught in flitration" but i actually witnessed the male giving birth which was amazing. Do you think its possible to keep a seahorse in my refugium for my 125 gal? my only worry is not alot of room and they will depleat my pods. but its just something i was thinking of doing as a side project but i just got back into coral propogation. thanks again!!

Typically, it is not a good idea to put seahorses in a refugium. Seahorses do better in a cooler environment than what reef tanks are kept at. Do you know what type of seahorses you are interested in keeping?

MandarinGirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallon will only fit dwarf sea horses If you want dwarfs the only problem is a) water changes and b) feeding. Dwarfs need fresh baby brine shrimp that need to be hatched every day and fed to them. There are tutorials out there it may take some work but I think it is well worth it. if you want regular sized horses I recommend h. Erectus because they only grow up to 8 inches often available and come in many colors.
Tank mates;
Dwarfs should be kept by them selves as of fish but you might want a clean up crew.
The bigger ones can be kept with gobies, dragonets, and pipe fish.
As far as corals gorgonians and sea fans are often used as posts for their tails and are fine. Corals really shouldn't be kept with horses because their little stingers hurt them.Some are okay and you hear about success stories but the horses probably aren't happy.
Tank sizes;
Dwarf horses
5g. 3-5 horses
8g. 7-10 horses
10g. 10-13 horses. WARNING THE SIZES FOR THE HORSES MIGHT NOT BE THE MOST ACURATE DEPENDING ON THE VARIABLES
12g. 13-15 horses. PROTEIN SKIMMER= MORE HORSES. NO PROTEIN SKIMMER=LESS HORSES ,REFUGIUM= MORE HORSES
YOU GET THE IDEA AND IF YOUR WONDERING PROTEIN SKIMMER? REALLY?
YEAH WELL YOUR GOING TO BE DEMPING A LOT OF NUTREINTS IN THERE?
H.erectus ,and others that Grow up to 6-8 inches
35g 1 pair
40-45g 2 pairs
50-55g 3 pairs
Etc.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back