Want to start a sump

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 20g L and in the next 3-5 months I expect to be moving everything I have into a 55g tank.

I currently just have a hang off the back skimmer, a filter for a tank double my size and my clean up crew.

For the 55G I want to have a sump for extra filtration plus I want to get all that stuff hanging off the back out of the picture that way it's awesome to look through without seeing things all over the place and wires hanging out the back.

I've got no idea where to start with sumps, know almost nothing about them; but I'm ready and eager to learn about what I need to have one and where to start! Any info helps me like products to get, costs, where to even get a sump tank, and if it's just better to buy the already put together packages that are around $200.

Thanks!

jeffp1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not turn your 20 gal. into a sump. That is what I use for my 85 gal. Tank. Just cut some glass for partitions and silicone in. Will save a lot of money. Video's on you tube to guide you.

Matt23469

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco has a dollar per gallon sale once or twice a year. That would be the cheapest way then just get glass cut for your baffles and make it yourself. Just buy the biggest tank you can fit under your stand

Hawain_Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not turn your 20 gal. into a sump. That is what I use for my 85 gal. Tank. Just cut some glass for partitions and silicone in. Will save a lot of money. Video's on you tube to guide you.

I agree. Ebay has kits with the dividers to install in your 20 gallon tank to convert to a sump. You would save a lot of money .

OP
OP
Qh2214

Qh2214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what's next after I turn my 20 gal into the sump what's the next thing to get/ move on to? And what is a sock?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back