Want Your Thoughts

reefgeeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short and sweet. 7th day of cycle, applied Dr Tims And ammonia chloride as directed. API master set. Ammonia is in space at over 8. Seems like no response to Dr Tims. Comments please.

Ammonia - 8
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 0
Ph- 7.9
Salinity- 1.25

Last edited by a moderator:

moseley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a similar problem w/ a 10 gal I want to use as a quarantine. Mine is glass bottom and only has a HOB w/ sponge filter and ceramic filter.media.
I contacted Dr Tim's and their response was "that type of tank can take.longer."
I have used 50% water changes and prime to get the ammonia down but still haven't seen the beginning of a cycle after three weeks.
Following.

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one thing to remember if you use prime that it screws up your API ammonia test. It converts ammonia in to non toxic ammonium I believe but the test detects both as equivalent. But ignoring that it looks like you overdosed the ammonia which can make the bacteria shutdown. I've never used Dr Tims though so I can't speak with confidence. I've usually had good luck with Instant Ocean bio spira shortening my cycle times.

apathium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I've been there unfortunately. I don't mean to frustrate you further (because hearing this answer myself while enduring similar tank conditions was infuriating, to say the least), but the only solution to your cycling issue is -- *dun dun dun* Time.

Yeah, I know. It's an aggravating answer (and at peak frustration levels, a non sequitur to some), but, alas, it is true. Hopefully your conditions will improve in just a few short weeks, but in my case, my tank finally completed cycling after two months. The wait is unbearable.

If you currently have no livestock while cycling, I recommend getting a small piece of raw shrimp and dropping it in the tank. It will REEK to high heaven, but let it fully dissolve/disintegrate/decompose/whathaveyou. It will naturally spike ammonia levels and kick start the nitrogen cycle. I've heard of some members being able to complete their cycles this way within 3-4 weeks max, which definitely beats waiting two months.

Also: seconding fermentedhiker's advice on using bio-spira. It tends to yield good results for new tanks.

OP
OP
R

reefgeeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one thing to remember if you use prime that it screws up your API ammonia test. It converts ammonia in to non toxic ammonium I believe but the test detects both as equivalent. But ignoring that it looks like you overdosed the ammonia which can make the bacteria shutdown. I've never used Dr Tims though so I can't speak with confidence. I've usually had good luck with Instant Ocean bio spira shortening my cycle times.
I have the same thoght regarding the bacteria slowing or dying off due to the level. I dosed ammonia 3 times, the last time was 2 days ago. I will wait another day or two and see if nitrites show up, then I'll boost the bacteria levels with something that most of the forum recommends.

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used biospira to start my cycle and dosed ammonia, cycled my tank in a week and a half (had live rock and sand). So it definitely cuts wait time in New tank

OP
OP
R

reefgeeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I've been there unfortunately. I don't mean to frustrate you further (because hearing this answer myself while enduring similar tank conditions was infuriating, to say the least), but the only solution to your cycling issue is -- *dun dun dun* Time.

Yeah, I know. It's an aggravating answer (and at peak frustration levels, a non sequitur to some), but, alas, it is true. Hopefully your conditions will improve in just a few short weeks, but in my case, my tank finally completed cycling after two months. The wait is unbearable.

If you currently have no livestock while cycling, I recommend getting a small piece of raw shrimp and dropping it in the tank. It will REEK to high heaven, but let it fully dissolve/disintegrate/decompose/whathaveyou. It will naturally spike ammonia levels and kick start the nitrogen cycle. I've heard of some members being able to complete their cycles this way within 3-4 weeks max, which definitely beats waiting two months.

Also: seconding fermentedhiker's advice on using bio-spira. It tends to yield good results for new
I used biospira to start my cycle and dosed ammonia, cycled my tank in a week and a half (had live rock and sand). So it definitely cuts wait time in New tank

OP
OP
R

reefgeeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sea chem stability to dose. I started with never alive anything

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back