Wantanabies femal, problem

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK I have seen this many time before, but it has been a long time since I bought a fish. I have the angel in Her own tank with some rock. Her tail is up a bit above her head when she swims, not noraml at all.

Anyone know what is the issue? Or how to solve the probel, I have medicated antibiotic flake, that I feed to new fis, that also takes care of other internal issues, she only eattin a little bit of that, eats spactrum and mysis or brine.

PLS PLS Help, this is a awsome fish and would hate to lose her!!

Thanks a ton!!
Brent

300 gallon sytem, mixed reef, mixed lighting, Geo ca. reactor, Tunze w/ controler, Sequence Dart return(quitest pump I never can hear!)

"Don't hate the player, hate the NAME game!"

Orange ya gonna Frag it!!

XAWP 4 life!!

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, most of these genicanthus sp angels come from fairly deep water. Many times when they are collected they aren't brought up slowly enough and then will tend to develop air pockets inside their bodies/swim bladder problems.

Sometimes they get over it and sometimes the problem becomes terminal.
I used to have a male japanese swallowtail that would even get gasey after I would feed him and would have a hard time swimming towards the bottom of the tank until he was digested. lol

It sucks in your case. If possible I would return the fish to the seller and in the future take a close look at how the fish is swimming before purchasing.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you can catch the fish, you might try gently massaging (underwater) her stomach area up to the anus to see if that might help get some of the air out. A lot of times with these fish the air gets stuck in the middle around muscle/organs and is hard to remove. I have also purchased a few swallowtail female angels in the past that have developed this problem and died.

OP
OP
BigBadZoaDaddy

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched this fish for a longtime swam fine for days in my tank also, wonder how they just develop the issue,

Thanks a ton for the help!!

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pleasure! Yeah, I know, its happened to me like that as well. I don't if the air is spread out and tends to collect after they've been acclimated for awhile or what. My fish expertise doesn't go that far. ;]

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back