Wartskin Angler Tankmates?

soda_popinski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the opportunity to get a Wartskin Angler. Of course I don't want it to be the only fish I have in a 40g.

What can I add with it?
I've got two of these, in addition to a painted angler, and they don't even flinch at the damsels in my tank. However.. if I add a new damsel /goby /other small fish in, they'll go after it. These guys, at least in my experience, respect the already established fish for some reason. I can't figure it out but that's how they are for me.

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched one of these eat a lionfish slightly larger than itself immediately after releasing them into a tank at my lfs. It was impressive but any fish is fair game after seeing that

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got two of these, in addition to a painted angler, and they don't even flinch at the damsels in my tank. However.. if I add a new damsel /goby /other small fish in, they'll go after it. These guys, at least in my experience, respect the already established fish for some reason. I can't figure it out but that's how they are for me.

It's not that they respect the ones already there, they've tried and couldn't catch them. I have 1 peppermint shrimp living with my warty as a room mate, I saw him try to catch him when he was 1st introduced as food; he ate the other one. He will eat anything in there that he can catch, but he is also kind of lazy. Damsels are very elusive, I've torn down tanks to get them out when they wouldn't decide to be lunch for my anglers or lions. I also had one living with my painted for a while; and then one day slurp, the damsel probably got lazy and let his guard down.

Josh Raider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody got any pics of their anglers with tankmates?
Instagram: Raiders_Reef

My Warty has lived with the same damsel for the last 3 months, he's eaten every other one I've added since but that one seems to survive. He also goes after the new damsels I put in so for now I guess they have a pact. But he has done this before with other damsels and they usually only last a few months.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instagram: Raiders_Reef

My Warty has lived with the same damsel for the last 3 months, he's eaten every other one I've added since but that one seems to survive. He also goes after the new damsels I put in so for now I guess they have a pact. But he has done this before with other damsels and they usually only last a few months.
The living one is obviously wise to the angler. He probably had a close call one time, lol. The other ones haven't had the chance to learn.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back