Warty Frog ate a small dottyback: should I be concerned?

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says, my small frog ate a dottyback that decided to carpet surf. I leaned down next to the tank to grab something, scared the dottyback, saw him bolt for the only opening in my screen lid and heard the plop. By the time I turned around to get him out of the tank all I saw was a purple tail going down his throat.

The warty is a little over an inch long, the dottyback was very slender but about 1.25-1.5". The frog now has a huge belly but other than that he seems ok. Not breathing heavy, he's actually moving around some.

Last meal was a small gut loaded guppy fry on Sunday.

Should I prepare for the worst or will he be ok?

IMG_20181212_212325_725.jpg

20181212_212039.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Told you, even at that size. Yeah there is cause for concern, that's how I lost my 1st painted angler 20 years ago. For some reason in captivity, when they eat something that large it can be deadly. There is nothing you can do, if he makes it about 3 days, he'll usually be fine.

OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Told you, even at that size. Yeah there is cause for concern, that's how I lost my 1st painted angler 20 years ago. For some reason in captivity, when they eat something that large it can be deadly. There is nothing you can do, if he makes it about 3 days, he'll usually be fine.

I've been trying to be careful. Apparently not careful enough. He had it in his mouth in seconds from splashdown.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree and had this happen as well years ago. Thought there was no way a frog fish can eat a maroon clown double his size. Didn't do my due diligence and the frog ate the maroon and lost both fish. Hope this fish makes it.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently still kicking. He seems ok, belly is less bloated and he's active. He was fishing earlier. Haven't seen him pass anything yet though.

View attachment 20181215_145656.jpg

20181215_012955.jpg

That's good, if he's moving around and fishing he's likely going to be fine. I'd give it a good week to 10 days before I fed him anything, no matter how much he begs. It's best to feed him 2-3 little items rather than one large one. I'm glad he's doing well, in all honestly I've seen several do the same thing, and none of them made it. I think the difference is the dottyback was a slender body fish, where all of the casualties I've seen it was with broader bodied fish. You'll actually see a turd, an encased piece of poop you can actually just scoop up like dog poop.

OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good, if he's moving around and fishing he's likely going to be fine. I'd give it a good week to 10 days before I fed him anything, no matter how much he begs. It's best to feed him 2-3 little items rather than one large one. I'm glad he's doing well, in all honestly I've seen several do the same thing, and none of them made it. I think the difference is the dottyback was a slender body fish, where all of the casualties I've seen it was with broader bodied fish. You'll actually see a turd, an encased piece of poop you can actually just scoop up like dog poop.

Good to know. The dottyback was tiny...slightly longer than him and smaller around than his mouth when he "yawns". I surprised the damsel that was originally in the tank at 1am and moved him over to the cube. He'd actually hang out near the frog and the frog had no interest in him, but it's only a matter of time. I'm not going through this again.

I plan on trying to find some grass shrimp that won't cost an arm and a leg to ship after Christmas and start feeding him those. The LiveBrine site quoted me almost $70 to ship to my house.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advice: Get a pair of breeding Clownfish, or maybe Cardinal fish so that you can grow your own food. Much cheaper and more fun to keep than buying feeder shrimp or feeder Dottybacks, which are pretty pricey but more readily available perhaps?
That aside,
Nice photographs of the Frogfish. That is a beautiful specimen and I hope you can keep it for many years to come.

OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advice: Get a pair of breeding Clownfish, or maybe Cardinal fish so that you can grow your own food. Much cheaper and more fun to keep than buying feeder shrimp or feeder Dottybacks, which are pretty pricey but more readily available perhaps?
That aside,
Nice photographs of the Frogfish. That is a beautiful specimen and I hope you can keep it for many years to come.

I've thought about that but not sure I really have the space available to do that right now. I have a bonded pair of clowns in my DT right now, but no eggs. They're still somewhat young. There are also too many places in my DT for a cardinal to hide, so catching it would be difficult.

Back