Firefish Disappeared? 10 Gal Nano

Jukesyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I have a 10gallon Waterbox nano tank. I’ve had the firefish for probably over a month now. I had seen it before lights out about 3/4 days ago. And haven’t seen it since. I’ve looked all over the floor, ripped apart my back AIO chambers, no sign of him anywhere. He was always out swimming around the tank and quite happy. My tailspot blenny and him seemed to be good buds and would swim together. I have the Waterbox lid on my tank, and it’s always on. I’m stumped. I can’t see him laying under any of the rock work or sand. I also have two peppermint shrimp in the tank.

What would cause him to just disappear like this? I just added a small Orchid dottyback in yesterday, was hoping he might come out with the new tank mate to check things out. I’m pretty stumped, the firefish was eating well and looked incredibly healthy? Any advice or tips, I’m completely stumped!

Thanks in advance!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey guys, so I have a 10gallon Waterbox nano tank. I’ve had the firefish for probably over a month now. I had seen it before lights out about 3/4 days ago. And haven’t seen it since. I’ve looked all over the floor, ripped apart my back AIO chambers, no sign of him anywhere. He was always out swimming around the tank and quite happy. My tailspot blenny and him seemed to be good buds and would swim together. I have the Waterbox lid on my tank, and it’s always on. I’m stumped. I can’t see him laying under any of the rock work or sand. I also have two peppermint shrimp in the tank.

What would cause him to just disappear like this? I just added a small Orchid dottyback in yesterday, was hoping he might come out with the new tank mate to check things out. I’m pretty stumped, the firefish was eating well and looked incredibly healthy? Any advice or tips, I’m completely stumped!

Thanks in advance!
They are great hiders but also great jumpers. If this tank has an overflow, they are experts and slipping through the overflow grids ending up in sump and overflow box. I hate to say but also look around floor as much as 4 ft perimeter and under the stand of there is clearance in the event it jumped.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with above. Look were you'd think it wouldn't end up. Found one on the other side of the room after mine vanished. If it did perish in the tank, if you have any sort of CUC he's been eaten.

OP
OP
Jukesyy

Jukesyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are great hiders but also great jumpers. If this tank has an overflow, they are experts and slipping through the overflow grids ending up in sump and overflow box. I hate to say but also look around floor as much as 4 ft perimeter and under the stand of there is clearance in the event it jumped.
Yes I’ve ripped apart the back AIO and took everything out, he is not in there. The tank has a perfect fitting lid made for the tank. I’ve searched this entire room and cannot find him anywhere. Really hoping that he is just hiding. Although I’m not sure why he would suddenly hide, he was always out swimming around!

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree with @vetteguy53081, you didn't mention having a lid on the tank so I assume you don't. Firefish are really good jumpers and they will jump at the least provocation. If you own a Firefish have a lid on the tank and be prepared to catch them out of your sump when needed. Best case; it saw the new addition and has gone into hiding and will come back out in a few days.

Edit is see you do have a lid. It is probably hiding.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks in advance!
I had a firefish once that I absolutely just wrote off as having died somewhere in the rockwork, and then out of nowhere 3 months later he was just cruising, looking very healthy, They are strange little fish, for sure. If you can confirm that he did not go carpet surfing, then he will show back up one day.

OP
OP
Jukesyy

Jukesyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's a waterbox AIO 10 Gallon. I ripped everything out and shone a flash light in the aio. He is not in there! Lid is a perfectly fitting lid made for this tank, I've searched all around the floor, nothing at all! I've searched the whole room, as the tank sits on a dresser in my office!

OP
OP
Jukesyy

Jukesyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree with @vetteguy53081, you didn't mention having a lid on the tank so I assume you don't. Firefish are really good jumpers and they will jump at the least provocation. If you own a Firefish have a lid on the tank and be prepared to catch them out of your sump when needed. Best case; it saw the new addition and has gone into hiding and will come back out in a few days.

Edit is see you do have a lid. It is probably hiding.
Yes I do have a lid, and i've checked all the sump. He was hiding / gone for 3/4 days before the new addition to the tank even!

OP
OP
Jukesyy

Jukesyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a firefish once that I absolutely just wrote off as having died somewhere in the rockwork, and then out of nowhere 3 months later he was just cruising, looking very healthy, They are strange little fish, for sure. If you can confirm that he did not go carpet surfing, then he will show back up one day.
No kidding eh!? That's wild, I'm hoping this is a similar case!

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can fit into impossibly small spaces in the rocks and stay hidden for extended periods. I'd just wait rather than do anything more to disrupt the tank and I would not replace it as two firefish will get along for a very long time as juveniles, until they don't.

OP
OP
Jukesyy

Jukesyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can fit into impossibly small spaces in the rocks and stay hidden for extended periods. I'd just wait rather than do anything more to disrupt the tank and I would not replace it as two firefish will get along for a very long time as juveniles, until they don't.
I havent ripped apart anything at all in the Display. Just the back AIO to make sure he didnt make his way into it!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes I do have a lid, and i've checked all the sump. He was hiding / gone for 3/4 days before the new addition to the tank even!
They commonly escape even via lids- as mentioned, experts jumpers but lets think positive and assume hiding well or in overflow.
One other thing you can do is drop food and set your cell phone on video mode for about 20 mins and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Check video and see if it comes out in your absence

OP
OP
Jukesyy

Jukesyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They commonly escape even via lids- as mentioned, experts jumpers but lets think positive and assume hiding well or in overflow.
One other thing you can do is drop food and set your cell phone on video mode for about 20 mins and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Check video and see if it comes out in your absence
Thanks, maybe i'll give that a go! I've given this entire office a clean sweep and he hasnt gone carpet surfacing that I can find! Took absolutely everything out of all the chambers of sump, no dice. He must be hiding well. I think I'll give the video a try! Thanks for the help!

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, maybe i'll give that a go! I've given this entire office a clean sweep and he hasnt gone carpet surfacing that I can find! Took absolutely everything out of all the chambers of sump, no dice. He must be hiding well. I think I'll give the video a try! Thanks for the help!
I've tried the recording trick in the past with mixed results. Often didn't see what I was looking for so I opted for a $25 Wyze camera from Amazon so I could take a look whenever vs. just a set moment in time. Maybe give that a shot as well.

OP
OP
Jukesyy

Jukesyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried the recording trick in the past with mixed results. Often didn't see what I was looking for so I opted for a $25 Wyze camera from Amazon so I could take a look whenever vs. just a set moment in time. Maybe give that a shot as well.
I actually run my own business doing telecommunications wiring, So maybe I'll setup a NVR and Camera dedicated soley to my tank haha!

Dragen Fiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever find him lol. For the first few days mine was swimming and all happy then one day poof. Couldn't find him all day and got worried. Then I fed some yummy mysis brine and he reavealed his hiding spot. Tiny spot under the main rocks that I didn't think he could fit into lol.

OP
OP
Jukesyy

Jukesyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever find him lol. For the first few days mine was swimming and all happy then one day poof. Couldn't find him all day and got worried. Then I fed some yummy mysis brine and he reavealed his hiding spot. Tiny spot under the main rocks that I didn't think he could fit into lol.
Nope lol, still gone!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back