Washed rerolled fleece mat

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd washed roller Matt.
Washed 30min using sodium carbonate and vinegar. Mostly as white as new.
Just a pain to reroll.

20221001_173045.jpg

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears that you have ~30g tank? Would seem easier to wash a couple socks vs. entire roll every month.
My 500g & 200g with 2 separate sumps, use at least 50 socks per month. So I’d need to wash the rolls every few days?!
I’m moving soon to a new home and was planning to install ‘rollers’, but now I’m questioning that. I have ~100 socks on hand, so I only need to wash them every 6-8 weeks.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I won't by a roller system is because I see it as a HUGE waste of money, if you can effectively wash and reuse the fleece even perhaps get 6 months out of a rewashed roll I would seriously contemplate getting one.
Thanks for posting, this gives me something to reconsider its use!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears that you have ~30g tank? Would seem easier to wash a couple socks vs. entire roll every month.
My 500g & 200g with 2 separate sumps, use at least 50 socks per month. So I’d need to wash the rolls every few days?!
I’m moving soon to a new home and was planning to install ‘rollers’, but now I’m questioning that. I have ~100 socks on hand, so I only need to wash them every 6-8 weeks.
Nah, it depends on the roller setup, flow rates and type of media used. I have a roller on a 210g, 120g and a 50g. I average 8-12 weeks a roll. I use the bubble magus brand of roller setups. Large on the 210, small on the 120g 50g. Sump height of the roller and return flow rate are the biggest things that will chew up media.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I won't by a roller system is because I see it as a HUGE waste of money, if you can effectively wash and reuse the fleece even perhaps get 6 months out of a rewashed roll I would seriously contemplate getting one.

Trust me, after a few years with different brands and settling on options, I found the sweet spot. A roll of 50 or 80 micron coolant paper averages about 10 bucks a roll, much cheaper than branded roller refills.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same, anything made to make humans jobs easier always takes a toll on the planet or the pocket. Filter socks are used in industrial water treatment facilities for a reason, not to mention the one less possible mechanical failure to deal with.

I'm not sold on rollers yet either and I'm planning a large sump build, I love/hate them but I think I'm going with socks again....

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same, anything made to make humans jobs easier always takes a toll on the planet or the pocket. Filter socks are used in industrial water treatment facilities for a reason, not to mention the one less possible mechanical failure to deal with.

I'm not sold on rollers yet either and I'm planning a large sump build, I love/hate them but I think I'm going with socks again....
My wife bought me a roll of filter material for under $25, made me 9 socks and I'm still using them 2 years later. Many have said that they average 30 days or so per roll at $30 that's $360 annually that you throw out.
Just doesn't make alot of sense, and it doesn't save time as it takes me less than 30 seconds to swap them out.
I love the Idea just not the waste.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me, after a few years with different brands and settling on options, I found the sweet spot. A roll of 50 or 80 micron coolant paper averages about 10 bucks a roll, much cheaper than branded roller refills.
Wow, now this is something you need to share in a post for folks on the fence.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, now this is something you need to share in a post for folks on the fence.
Search my posts. I've preached a bit in other filter roller threads, lol.

Edit: I travel too much for work to use socks (practically). My tanks went probably half a year without them on average. Pre 'vid, I was a 100+ day a year road warrior. Slowly returning to that again.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd washed roller Matt.
Washed 30min using sodium carbonate and vinegar. Mostly as white as new.
Just a pain to reroll.

20221001_173045.jpg
Nice! Doesn’t the baking soda neutralize the vinegar? What’s your reasoning for both? Do you think you can just use one or the other?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There needs to be a reverse fleece roller, or a roller that is easily removed with a reverse function. once your roller runs out you put it in the sink (or a very expensive proprietary washing station) run water through it in "reverse" while the roller simultaneously gets cleaned and re rolled. . .

If any of yall make this I get a % of those sweet profits!!!

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There needs to be a reverse fleece roller, or a roller that is easily removed with a reverse function. once your roller runs out you put it in the sink (or a very expensive proprietary washing station) run water through it in "reverse" while the roller simultaneously gets cleaned and re rolled. . .

If any of yall make this I get a % of those sweet profits!!!
That's how things get invented figuring out a need , but that's also why the fist guy usually never gets a percentage ....just ask your patent attorney lol :) :)

SmarterReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are already working on this for our self cleaning protein skimmer and all in one Fleece Beast which includes roller mat and algae scrubber. We plan to release a fleece washer device / protocol in the next few months. It will work with our products of course. If it sells well and there is interest we can possibly expand to work with other brands

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are already working on this for our self cleaning protein skimmer and all in one Fleece Beast which includes roller mat and algae scrubber. We plan to release a fleece washer device / protocol in the next few months. It will work with our products of course. If it sells well and there is interest we can possibly expand to work with other brands
Pretty suspicious that we are only hearing about this AFTER my post. . . very suspicious. . .

only kidding of course!!!

SmarterReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty suspicious that we are only hearing about this AFTER my post. . . very suspicious. . .

only kidding of course!!!
Hah. You can see our IG! We’ve posted some images on there. I encourage you to check out our products. Have you seen any of our stuff?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hah. You can see our IG! We’ve posted some images on there. I encourage you to check out our products. Have you seen any of our stuff?
No I have not. . . I dont have an IG. . . nor have I delved into a lot of the more advance reefing gadgets. . . no controllers or reef mats for me. . . not yet anyway.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back