Washed rerolled fleece mat

SmarterReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty suspicious that we are only hearing about this AFTER my post. . . very suspicious. . .

only kidding of course!!!
Hah. You can see our IG! We’ve posted some images on there. I encourage you to check out our products. Have you seen any of our stuffu
Site says ‘sold out’ and has no prices or future availability listed
The protein skimmer roller in in stock as we have had it mass produced. Protein skimmers ship next day. The roller mat is late prototype. We are filling early adopter orders via email and making them one at a time. 6-8 weeks lead time.

below is clear demo. Production model scrubber roller is black.

66F50C62-FE1E-42A7-84A1-59CF4D46F215.jpeg

SmarterReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I have not. . . I dont have an IG. . . nor have I delved into a lot of the more advance reefing gadgets. . . no controllers or reef mats for me. . . not yet anyway.
Our 3 in 1 filter can be run without any controller. It has a mechanical float switch and a 10 second relay that turns it off if on for more than 10 seconds. Scrubber can be run on a timer. Very simple and reliable operation.

SmarterReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show off some stuff here while we're on the subject!!
Below is a unit we made last week. 2 x 1.5” inlets. On top is algae scrubber, on bottom is roller mat. Connects directly to our protein skimmer roller so all 3 units use the same fleece. The top bulkhead can be used as a smart overflow so you can bypass the roller mat and have it drain to sump if you don’t want to run the roller mat all day.

bottom image is the skimmer installed in a customers cabinet.

9624B93E-7061-42B2-90F6-03D47F04DEC4.jpeg
EACBB69C-E2C7-4F2D-B0EB-D4749A0057CA.jpeg

SmarterReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting combo setup, what's the skimmer rated for?
200 gallons conservatively. It has a 66w power supply, equivalent of 6” neck (not body), 1000 gph pump. Footprint is 8.5”x4.5” fits in almost any skimmer chamber w space saving rectangle shape. Quiet dc control pump and digital motor control for fleece motor both use same power supply. Fixed height overflow eliminates height adjustments and provides constant head pressure and consistent skimming.l regardless of sump level. Just requires 5-11” water in sump. All cast acrylic 1/4” construction, one roll of fleece lasts 3 months at least.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preparing to move all my systems to new home… interested in your combo for my 500g tank, with 150g sump. If skimmer is not available for that size, , still interested in roller and algae scrubber
Can you PM pricing to me
Thanks

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preparing to move all my systems to new home… interested in your combo for my 500g tank, with 150g sump. If skimmer is not available for that size, , still interested in roller and algae scrubber
Can you PM pricing to me
Thanks
Also humored, that setup on my heavy stocked 120g would be legit. How wide is the filter roller?

Would love pricing.

SmarterReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also humored, that setup on my heavy stocked 120g would be legit. How wide is the filter roller?

Would love pricing.
The fleece is 150mm or about 6”. It’s $549 free shipping, delivers 3-5 business days. Fleece lasts 3 months or longer on the skimmer.

The filter roller is 8”x6” footprint. The entire all in one uses the same fleece and the all in one requires about 11”x12” footprint and is 26” tall. It installs in lower roller mat and then the scrubber slides on and gets connected, so any stand with 27” clearance should be enough.

as I mentioned we’re working on a fleece cleaning system so you can reuse the fleece if that interests you. Otherwise a roll is $25. It’s sold directly on our website. SmarterReefs.com

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears that you have ~30g tank? Would seem easier to wash a couple socks vs. entire roll every month.
My 500g & 200g with 2 separate sumps, use at least 50 socks per month. So I’d need to wash the rolls every few days?!
I’m moving soon to a new home and was planning to install ‘rollers’, but now I’m questioning that. I have ~100 socks on hand, so I only need to wash them every 6-8 weeks.
Struggling with nitrates I was changing sock daily.

zen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd washed roller Matt.
Washed 30min using sodium carbonate and vinegar. Mostly as white as new.
Just a pain to reroll.

20221001_173045.jpg C

2nd washed roller Matt.
Washed 30min using sodium carbonate and vinegar. Mostly as white as new.
Just a pain to reroll.

20221001_173045.jpg
I'm thinking of doing this. What ratio of soda ash to vinegar did you use to get your fleece so white?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me, after a few years with different brands and settling on options, I found the sweet spot. A roll of 50 or 80 micron coolant paper averages about 10 bucks a roll, much cheaper than branded roller refills.
What is coolant paper? I'm not familiar with it.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is coolant paper? I'm not familiar with it.

What are Coolant filter Papers?​

Coolant Filter Papers are typically used in the machine tool process to separate metal debris and dust from the coolant, enabling the coolant to be recycled and precious metal waste to be reutilized.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what type of material for coolant paper?

I see Nylon, Rayon, Polypropylene and Polyester.

I can see why this is so much cheaper.
They sell rolls on ebay of 100yrd at 30" wide for $50. I can cut it down into four sections to use on my 8" wide roller mat filter. It says its a Rayon/Polyester blend. Basically I have 400yrds of filter material for $50. Most replacement fleeces I see are around 160ft max. Compare the cost per ft for bubble magus. $24 per roll for 160ft or .16 cents/ft. Alternative is 1200ft at $50 or 4.2 cents/ft. Savings of 75%. Both are 50 micron.

If you look at other brands they are like 80-100 feet per roll for $25. Example Theiling has a 4" wide (bubble magus is 8" wide, double that of Theiling), 50 feet for $25 or 50cents/ft. However, if you consider its only 4" wide compare to the bubble magus 8", it really only has half the filter capacity. So its more like $1/ft.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what type of material for coolant paper?

I see Nylon, Rayon, Polypropylene and Polyester.

I can see why this is so much cheaper.
They sell rolls on ebay of 100yrd at 30" wide for $50. I can cut it down into four sections to use on my 8" wide roller mat filter. It says its a Rayon/Polyester blend. Basically I have 400yrds of filter material for $50. Most replacement fleeces I see are around 160ft max. Compare the cost per ft for bubble magus. $24 per roll for 160ft or .16 cents/ft. Alternative is 1200ft at $50 or 4.2 cents/ft. Savings of 75%. Both are 50 micron.

If you look at other brands they are like 80-100 feet per roll for $25. Example Theiling has a 4" wide (bubble magus is 8" wide, double that of Theiling), 50 feet for $25 or 50cents/ft. However, if you consider its only 4" wide compare to the bubble magus 8", it really only has half the filter capacity. So its more like $1/ft.
Search under my name, I've preached and preached about using coolant paper. What you found on ebay is probably sold by the company I reference below.

Depending on width of roll, check out https://preconfilter.com/, Steve is the owner, and he's great about answer questions. He deals with a few of us in the reeefing community with various brands and diy roller setups. Remember it isn't plug n play, you will have to mod to make it work.

EDIT: IIRC, its Rayon/Poly blend that's sold.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of doing this. What ratio of soda ash to vinegar did you use to get your fleece so white?
Just threw it in with a scoop of sodium carbonate and a shot of bleach. I didn't measure anything. But it came out almost as clean as new and it stunk when I unrolled it of hydrogen sulfide. Little bacteria were hard at it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back