Waspfish in community tank?

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been looking for a new fish to add to my 40g reef and I was wondering if the red band tail waspfish would be an option. I really want something that's unique and different and the red band tail waspfish seems to fit the bill, and they are super cute! But I don't know a bunch about them and whether it would do good in my tank. Right now I have a 3" black combtooth blenny a small clown pair (1" and under). I am planning on getting a yellow assessor and a greenbanded goby or something similar. Would the waspfish work with this stock?

@Lionfish Lair @rayn forgot to tag those who would know best :D

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The greenband goby may be in danger to be eaten, other than that waspfish make great residents for community tanks.

jphillips

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair have been great in the tank, I thought they'd eat my gold coral banded shrimp or my small clownfish but they've been great tankmates.

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair have been great in the tank, I thought they'd eat my gold coral banded shrimp or my small clownfish but they've been great tankmates.

What was your experience with feeding them? How large were they when you purchased them and did that seem to make a difference for success?

John Stuckey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have this exact experience. My red band waspfish is a perfect tank companion. Absolutely non-aggressive plus they are small! 2 inches, maybe 3 if they stand on their tip toes. Small mouth. Mine took a long time to wean to frozen food (2 months) and I thought he wasn't going to make it - then suddenly was there at the front of the tank eager for food like everyone else. Biocube 29 with orchid dottyback, wrasse, and yellow damselfish.

jphillips

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your experience with feeding them? How large were they when you purchased them and did that seem to make a difference for success?

I got mine at about 2 inches and started with some live brine but within a week they were eating frozen mysis, and now they come up and beg for any food I put in the tank. I think they're a pretty well adjusted species for aquarium life I don't think variation of size should matter much.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool! I want a waspfish...but I have preschoolers, so probably not for a while...

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics! DD pic and in QT
IMG_2153.PNG IMG_2171.JPG

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back