Red Rooster Waspfish Random Death

Miniblade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I've got a red rooster waspfish that unfortunately passed away today. She was eating just fine, albiet very picky. Would only eat live ghost shrimp and very occasionally live blackworms. i fed her every two/three days and when I fed BW I'd target feed. Water params are perfectly normal. Salinity is .025 , temp is 78 on the spot consistently, 10 nitrates 0 nitrites 0 ammonia. Only things that have changed in the past two weeks were a 25% wc with a different brand of salt (went from IO RC to Tropic Marin) and addition of corals but, neither of those could've killed her as alk changes usually dont kill fish and there's no medications that would've been on the corals I added. The only guesses I've got are RDS or parasites. She wasn't acting weird though. What do you guys think?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all, I've got a red rooster waspfish that unfortunately passed away today. She was eating just fine, albiet very picky. Would only eat live ghost shrimp and very occasionally live blackworms. i fed her every two/three days and when I fed BW I'd target feed. Water params are perfectly normal. Salinity is .025 , temp is 78 on the spot consistently, 10 nitrates 0 nitrites 0 ammonia. Only things that have changed in the past two weeks were a 25% wc with a different brand of salt (went from IO RC to Tropic Marin) and addition of corals but, neither of those could've killed her as alk changes usually dont kill fish and there's no medications that would've been on the corals I added. The only guesses I've got are RDS or parasites. She wasn't acting weird though. What do you guys think?
Sorry to hear about your loss. Did her belly look shrunken at all? My female was will eat every day if I hand feed her and I assume she is eating daily when I broadcast, that said I know others feed predatory fish every few days so I'm not sure. . . Maybe others can help? I can't remember who are predator experts are. . . @Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Was fish breathing normal or labored prior to death?
The diet was inadequate but fish was eating, but I also wonder if fish was feeding off its liver known as edema and reason it was slowly accepting foods. Salt I rule out unless salinity reading is false when measured. same with other tests - ASSURE your test are accurate as like a lion this fish does not do well with high ammonia and nitrate levels
My take is versus water, it may be disease such as flukes or internal.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven’t read this already there may be some clues in here.

OP
OP
M

Miniblade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was fish breathing normal or labored prior to death?
The diet was inadequate but fish was eating, but I also wonder if fish was feeding off its liver known as edema and reason it was slowly accepting foods. Salt I rule out unless salinity reading is false when measured. same with other tests - ASSURE your test are accurate as like a lion this fish does not do well with high ammonia and nitrate levels
My take is versus water, it may be disease such as flukes or internal.
Normal. Tests are all literally brand new and confirmed accurate.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back