Watanabei Angelfish

beardedjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my Angelfish this morning. I have been treating it for about a month for what I believed might be uronema though was not sure that is what the problem was based on her surviving over a month. What are y’all’s thoughts.

IMG_9833.jpeg IMG_9834.jpeg IMG_9835.jpeg

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema usually kills much more quickly than a month. How have you treated?

What other fish are in the tank? Aggression would be a consideration which is indicated in the second photo. The first photo could be due to aggression or internal issues.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lost my Angelfish this morning. I have been treating it for about a month for what I believed might be uronema though was not sure that is what the problem was based on her surviving over a month. What are y’all’s thoughts.

IMG_9833.jpeg IMG_9834.jpeg IMG_9835.jpeg
While this may be a post injury infection, does represent uronema which is oval shape and is a ciliated motile protozoan which causes tissue necrosis as seen on fish. What other fish are in the tank?
This can also be triggered by low salinity levels as well as excess food waste on tank bottom which this protozoan can feed on as often prevention can be more valuable than cure for this.
Fish will have to be quarantined and treated with formalin based treatment which is harder to find, so next option is Ruby rally Pro. Chloroquine Phosphate will also work but must be used precisely. Uronema is not an obligate parasite, and can thrive on bacteria, uneaten food, and waste so besides treatment also maintain a clean tank removing waste daily.

OP
OP
beardedjack

beardedjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema usually kills much more quickly than a month. How have you treated?

What other fish are in the tank? Aggression would be a consideration which is indicated in the second photo. The first photo could be due to aggression or internal issues.
I thought so too though never experienced it. Was is a 60 initially with a clown and a few other small fish for about 20 days. After moving to the main display there is a tomato clown, yellow tang, Val puffer, watchmen, scooter blennie, stripped blenny from what I saw she was the most aggressive thing in the tank. Recently added a coral beauty and sailfin tang but she was damaged before they got there and she bullied them more than the other way around.

OP
OP
beardedjack

beardedjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this may be a post injury infection, does represent uronema which is oval shape and is a ciliated motile protozoan which causes tissue necrosis as seen on fish. What other fish are in the tank?
This can also be triggered by low salinity levels as well as excess food waste on tank bottom which this protozoan can feed on as often prevention can be more valuable than cure for this.
Fish will have to be quarantined and treated with formalin based treatment which is harder to find, so next option is Ruby rally Pro. Chloroquine Phosphate will also work but must be used precisely. Uronema is not an obligate parasite, and can thrive on bacteria, uneaten food, and waste so besides treatment also maintain a clean tank removing waste daily.
I treated with H2O2 and other reef safe stuff has she had already made it to the main tank before she showed any signs. I could have pulled her and re QT her but everything I read said it would make no difference other than irritate her worse. Last night I moved her to a 10 g qt when she stopped eating but I think it was to late she died this morning.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I treated with H2O2 and other reef safe stuff has she had already made it to the main tank before she showed any signs. I could have pulled her and re QT her but everything I read said it would make no difference other than irritate her worse. Last night I moved her to a 10 g qt when she stopped eating but I think it was to late she died this morning.
Sorry to hear. Area was infected and may have been working also internally

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visually, without a microscope, you can’t really tell Uronema from bacteria. Indeed, mixed infections are common - Uronema feeds on bacteria, so are often found together.
Genicanthus are one common species that shows with Uronema, but as you noted, fish don’t really last a month with that infection.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back