Watchman Goby Changed Behavior

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 YWG paired with their own pistol shrimps. They live happily in their own tunnel systems and have staked off their territories. Every now and then the larger goby will go show the smaller goby who is boss and then go back to his home. I also have a sand sifting goby and the large YWG will chase away when the SSG gets to close to his house. But now, the larger goby spends most of his time outside of his house. He goes to the side tank wall and looks as if he is trying to get to his reflection. Swims up and down the side tank wall looking at himself. Is he vain? :p He is ignoring food and the other gobies as well. My water parameters are good. All the other fish are eating well. My first thought is he/she is wanting to mate. But not sure. He doesn't look sick or thin from not eating. Still looks healthy. Any ideas?

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s posturing to his reflection. He thinks it’s another goby trying to get into his territory and he’s showing how big and bad he is to scare it off. Lots of fish do this, it’s very common.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, both my gobies are swimming around the tank and I think I now know why. I haven't seen the 2 pistol shrimps in some days now. They are normally busy engineers constantly moving sand. I normally see them all day long bringing sand out of their home and grooming the sand around their sand holes. I don't see any digging or new piles of sand. I think they may have died. Not sure why both would have died at the same time. But no signs of them for at least a week now. Big bummer!!! The gobies look lost without someone to make a home for them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, I did find two molts (I guess that is what you'd call them) in the tank. Is it customary for tiger pistol shrimps to stay below the sand for a while after a molt? I'm hoping they are still alive. But I haven't heard any popping lately too.

Upvote 0

TateLitts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update? Same thing happening to me right now. Couldn’t separate the shrimp-goby pair if I tried, now the goby is out and about without sight of the shrimp. Found (presumably) a molt last week.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update? Same thing happening to me right now. Couldn’t separate the shrimp-goby pair if I tried, now the goby is out and about without sight of the shrimp. Found (presumably) a molt last week.
Yes, both shrimps have disappeared (assuming they are dead). My guess is since they have bad eyesight, they probably got caught in my anemone on their night molting walks. Both gobies have settled down and have homes under the rocks.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back