Water change after cycle?

MikeyTankx

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 23, 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
2
Location
Texas
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I’m brand new to the aquarium hobby and super excited to finally be getting started.

I just finished cycling my first tank — a 15-gallon — in about 2 weeks. Now that it’s cycled, do I need to do a water change right away? And if so, what percentage would you recommend?

Also, will the tank be okay sitting empty for about one more week until I can get my cleanup crew in?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! 🐟
 
I doubt it needs a water change. Doing so is, I believe, a carry over from when folks wanted nutrients very low and/or cured live rock with lots of die off.
 
You should be fine leaving it for a week, and the water change shouldn't be necessary until you start to see some uptake in your nitrates and phosphates after adding in the new tank inhabitants. Then once your all stocked just keep to a regular water change schedule (10-20% every week, or every other week if there is not alot of bio load) and you should be all set. 😁
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new