Water change pump?

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there something I can use to pump the water out of my tank 20 feet away to a drain? I don't want to put a pump in the tank. So maybe something external or just a tube in the tank?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A peristaltic pump works like that.

Sounds like you might have an automatic water change system in your future! (Just add a second pump to fill the tank simultaneously while the first one drains the tank...put em on a timer to automate it.)

Run a R2R seach like this to see some great examples: automatic water change

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Tom's Aqualifter works like that too (a diaphragm pump) but it's very very low flow and you'd be at/past it's limit too. There are bigger diaphragm pumps though.....I think Avast makes one, and there are several higher-end industrial models like the ReeFiller.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A peristaltic pump works like that.

Sounds like you might have an automatic water change system in your future! (Just add a second pump to fill the tank simultaneously while the first one drains the tank...put em on a timer to automate it.)

Run a R2R seach like this to see some great examples: automatic water change

I have a pump to get water in the tank. Just don't have the room to put a big mag 5 pump in the tank to get the water out plus it freaks the fish out.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pump to get water in the tank. Just don't have the room to put a big mag 5 pump in the tank to get the water out plus it freaks the fish out.

You wouldn't have to use two of them unless you wanted to do the auto-water-change thing. For that purpose you need two because they will pump identical amounts of water in a given period of time.

You'd just need one to remove water from the tank without a pump being in the tank.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Where can I purchase that kind of pump?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get they Python "No Spill clean and fill". I've used one that was way more than 20 feet away from my kitchen or utility sink. + you can vacuum your sand bed with it.

Great product!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get they Python "No Spill clean and fill". I've used one that was way more than 20 feet away from my kitchen or utility sink. + you can vacuum your sand bed with it.

Great product!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't that require you put tap water into your tank?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't that require you put tap water into your tank?
You turn the sink nozzle to pull out your water down to your water change line marked on your reef. Then I pull the tube out of my tank and hold it in my sink. Turn the nozzle to push fresh tap water to flush out the salt water from the python. Then I turn the nozzle back to pull out the fresh water and hang my python back in the closest until mt next weekly water change. Then I pump the newly mixed salt water in my tank.

The benefit of the python is it lets you clean out the detritus from your sand bed while doing a water change. Your fish will get use to it and go about their business.

If you have it turned to pull your water out it uses your sinks water pressure to only pull and remove your water.

If you decide to go this route then get the "Python" brand, the others are cheap knock off's that won't pull as much water and their tubing is a lot thinner leading to hose kinks and their nozzles look good but made really cheap so you have to keep buying their replacement parts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You turn the sink nozzle to pull out your water down to your water change line marked on your reef. Then I pull the tube out of my tank and hold it in my sink. Turn the nozzle to push fresh tap water to flush out the salt water from the python. Then I turn the nozzle back to pull out the fresh water and hang my python back in the closest until mt next weekly water change. Then I pump the newly mixed salt water in my tank.

The benefit of the python is it lets you clean out the detritus from your sand bed while doing a water change. Your fish will get use and go about their business.

If you have it turned to pull your water out it uses your sinks water pressure to only pull and remove your water.

If you decide to go this route then get the "Python" brand the others are cheap knock off's that won't pull as much water and their tubing is a lot thinner leading to hose kinks and their nozzles look good but made really cheap so you have to keep buying their replacement parts.

Sounds like a great idea!! Thanks for taking the time to post it.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. Where can I purchase that kind of pump?

There are a ton of them available, from $10 eBay DIY models on up to $2000 industrial models....so don't hesitate to look around a bit! :)

But APT Instruments is a go-to for lots of folks....here's one model I've been looking at, but they have small ones and bigger ones (and other varieties of pump, like the diaphragms I mentioned):
http://aptinstruments.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AI&Category_Code=SP300

$135 out the door and that's a pretty strong pump! Just needs an enclosure and a power cord (+$46 for both if you don't wanna DIY a case and cord) And like I said, they have smaller models.

Last edited:

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a Tee on my overflow pipe to the sump so I dont need a pump for water changes.

Simply hook up a hose to the valve and drain via gravity

I use a hang on pipe with a hose to pump water back into my sump through my filter socks when adding water back.

Finally No more buckets...just have to haul around a 55 gal drum once a week.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...or another pump to empty that drum! ;)
Would this do they job?

40486_4_700x700.jpg

Back