Return Pump + sump flow?

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Having a couple of issues and seeking a bit of assistance.

Firstly, I don't know if it's an issue as such and I'm pretty sure I know how to remedy it.
My sump water appears to be a little stagnant and getting a bit of a film/bubble looking things on it. I've seen other threads on this and it appears the fix is to chuck in a powerhead which I have a spare and happy to do but just wanting to confirm this methodology hasn't changed ?

Secondly, I need assistance with working out how to find the right return pump.
This isn't for the tank itself, but for my water barrels, I need to stop having to wheel these 200L barrels around the house using a trolley, it's doing my head in and probably not doing my flooring or door frames any favours either.
I purchased a 30m reel of 16/22mm aquaone tube I think it was to use with the existing pumps I'd been using (some cheap Aquaone ones, maybe the 105 for memory) for water changes, but these don't have the strength to send it 15 meters (~50ft) to the tank. (Possibly less but this is a worst case). Hoping I can find something that would fit this tubing also so I haven't wasted $150.

I've found this article which if I'm reading correctly would need approx 7-9ft of head height in total (allowing for extra height if needed).. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a this Eheim pump to pump water out of my sump and into the garage. I put 32 gallon trash cans in the back of my truck to haul away the water.

If you can not increase the flow thru the sump then a power head to help circulate the water will help

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a this Eheim pump to pump water out of my sump and into the garage. I put 32 gallon trash cans in the back of my truck to haul away the water.

If you can not increase the flow thru the sump then a power head to help circulate the water will help
Thanks for this suggestion, this pump might actually be perfect. Will do a bit more looking into it to double check my math checks out.

This is the article I was referring to (forgot to link yesterday) in case someone else comes across this later on.

avocadoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Jebao DCP-3500 that pumps water through 50 feet of 3/4" tubing and up from the basement to the first floor. They make more powerful ones for under $100.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inside diameter of that hose may be part of the problem.
For long runs 19mm would be my minimum choice

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back