Water Change Question

bmackk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just getting started with my 40 gallon AIO. I have done multiple water changes so far, both 10% and 20% and I am having a hard time doing it using 5 gallon buckets. I obviously have a siphon to get the “dirty” water out but have been using a cup to transfer the new water into the tank. Does anyone have a better method to do these changes?

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transfer it into the tank from what?
A 5 gallon bucket, or a 32 gallon can or .....?

OP
OP
B

bmackk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transfer it into the tank from what?
A 5 gallon bucket, or a 32 gallon can or .....?
Sorry, should have been more clear. As of right now I am mixing up water in either one or two 5 gallon buckets and the trying to transfer into tank.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a small return pump will get most of it just make sure it has enough Head Height to get it into the aquarium from the floor.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also used one of these in the past, it is only a .5 gallon but they are handy to have for other reasons as well and once the bucket is not so full then I dump it manually

OP
OP
B

bmackk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also used one of these in the past, it is only a .5 gallon but they are handy to have for other reasons as well and once the bucket is not so full then I dump it manually

That’s what I’ve been doing just using the largest cup I have in the house . Looks like I’ll just have to get a small return pump like y’all suggested. Thank you!

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’ve been doing just using the largest cup I have in the house . Looks like I’ll just have to get a small return pump like y’all suggested. Thank you!
Just make sure the small return pump that has enough head height (how high it can pump water) I made the mistake of getting a small one before to find it could only pump water 2 feet high which turned out to be useless for me.

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
If I were you I'd get a return pump that also fits in your AIO. So if the AIO pump one day fails, BAM, you already have a back up to take its place. Many folk like sicce syncras for their AIOs

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use a penguin 660 power head...the clear tubing from my gravel vac fits on the output tube

Last edited:

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do more frequent water changes that are smaller. One gallon at a time usually every other day.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 157 73.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back