Water change questions!

df_aquatics_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Still fairly new into having a reef tank and I was just wondering how often you guys do water changes. I have a 10 and 20 gallon reef tank. The 10 gallon is older and I’ve always done weekly 2 gallon water changes and I’ve always had issues with the tank. My 20 gallon I’ve been doing 5 gallon water changes a week but recently have gone two weeks without a water change just because everything looks so happy.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some claim to have never changed water in years.
I would let my nutrient levels guide me on frequency, if your nutrients are stable, the water change can delayed.
I try to find the frequency best suited to my lifestyle and keep it consistent.
I you were to replace all elements which are being used up in the reef, then water changes could be never.
I find it easier, and maybe safer, to change the water to maintain minor elements.

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a 70 gallon water change on my 180 gal. every month plus i do 5 gallon clean up sump water change every week , sometimes every 2 weeks also add nutrients to my tank

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do wcs when i have to. Lol
It used to be common practice to be on a routine and do the same wc around the same time for balance and restoring trace elements.
Now days people dose everything from iron and hydrogen peroxide to calcium and magnesium so the wcs are more over looked imo.
D

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back