Water Changes and or Dosing Trace Elements

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it’s a mistake to even call the method water changes, since foods may play a larger role in supplementing trace elements than water changes.

In theory, water changes with a salt mix matching NSW can never even hope to maintain NSW levels of consumed trace elements.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With water changes, you can just do them and not worry about over dosing or testing. Not only does this save money on testing and elements, it also is easier on the mind... mine at least. OES is $45 or MS at $55 - I can do 200 gallon water change for about $30-32, that is 300 gallons of new water.

I have never once believed that I was replenishing everything up to some certain level, but I am replenishing.

I will freely admit that I trust Aquarium Pharm and their IO salt more than I trust an ICP test anyway, nor a supplement made by somebody else that I have no idea of the compound or purity. I also have not ever found use for most elements that people swear about anyway and I only dose iron and the range is so large that you really cannot overdose it if you can do maths.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back