Water Changes: can you change out too much?

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Is it possible to cause harm to your system if you change out too much of a % of your water each week? Say for example, 25% ?

I have a 38 gallon breeder style tank that has been cycled for 6 months now, and have been doing 5 gallon (13%) weekly changes with RODI and Red Sea salt. I've been battling brown hair algae for a couple months, and during a recent rock scrubbing stirred up a large amount of "junk" in the water (algae, particles trapped in rocks, detritus, etc...) that I couldn't siphon up fully with a 5 gallon change. So was wondering, if weekly 10 gallon (26%) changes would be too much as I try to clean up more floaters and junk I stir up from rocks and sand?

My CuC consists of about 7 assorted hermits and about 12 assorted snails. The tank is also an AIO with a media tower that I rinse weekly and a skimmer, but I feel the AIO isn't sucking up debris too well. I've considered a stronger return pump to increase the suck-up power to catch more debris, but fear the flow will be too strong.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine with weekly 25% water changes. Most of the established bacteria that matter are on surfaces, not in the water column.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no you can't harm it by the water change, but you can harm it by changing water above a dirty sandbed and upwelling waste.

in bare bottom systems it wouldnt hurt at all to change 100%, this is every pico reef on the planet and they all grow some pretty mad sps. i have a video of mine being drained empty for 33 mins in the air, then refilled with all new water as a demo of water change tolerance in mixed coral systems. its a pico reef. five pounds of live rock and over a decade in corals sit in the air the whole time during the demo.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back