Water Changes

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any corals yet, but I plan on adding them. This is in a 75 gl with a 30gl sump. My parameters are all great with 0's on ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, salinity 1.025, ph 8.3, I dont remember my CA an KH but my Mg was a little low I think at 1100. I have topped off 5 gal once a week but haven't done a water change in over two weeks because nothing seems to be too out of hand. I use RO/DI water, I guess my question is should I be doing weekly water changes?

I currently have
2 clowns,
1 yellow tang,
1 royal gramma,
2 green chromis,
1 blood shrimp

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes 5 gal once a week be fine;)

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason to do water changes unless the tank requires it, at this point. Its only a FOWLR and doesn't require a tedious watch yet on parameters. Watch your params, your tank will tell you when you need one. With no corals, don't let the Nitrates go above 30, ya might tick off the Shrimp.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tops off aren't water changes. Your not adding salt to a top off, just fresh water.

OP
OP
seastar

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the suggestions.

Top offs: My LFS also said I should be doing daily top offs, which seems like a ton of work. I really wish I was closer to my water source to I could have an auto top off system. Maybe I'll try and put together a system run out of a 5 gallon bucket (any suggestions/links?)

Water change: to be clear though... especially when I begin to get corals, I should be removing 5-10gal weekly and replacing with fresh salt water (high quality salt + RO/DI) to replenish nutrients and help remove waste, correct?

Dosing: really at the beginning of my research there... long way to go still it seems.

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daily top offs will help keep things more stable. Easiest thing to do other than auto top off is keep your bucket near by. Just scoop out needed water every morning. Twice a day even better.
Water changes will replenish trace and remove anything unwanted.
5 gallons weekly is plenty for a 75g system.
Dosing really isn't necessary in the beginning. Once you start adding corals...sps in particular is when you find a need for dosing. Go ahead and purchase test kits for mag, cal, and alk.
Familiarize yourself with the kits. As I mentioned, you'll notice that parameters will not, or should not really fluctuate in the beginning.

OP
OP
seastar

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS also mentioned twice a day water top offs, which was... super wild in my mind but I get it. My protein skimmer is all over the board because my water level fluctuates so much so that would help things with that as well. Do I want to spend time adjusting that skimmer constantly, or a quick water top off which is better for the tank it seems anyway.

As far as the kits, I started with API, and like many others moved on. I ended up getting the RedSea Reef Foundation Pro for Ca, KH, MG and Im learning how to accurately test with those before I go too crazy with corals, but I do want to end up with SPS which is why I'm asking these questions early on. :)

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As water evaporates salinity increases, in turn so do all the elements. The more evaporated water the more things will rise. Fish only not a huge deal, unless your letting large amounts evaporate. Remember stability is key, especially when you start getting into sps

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 157 73.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back