Water Change Time?

tuscani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 10 weeks old now. But I started with established rock, water and Tim's bacteria.

I have yet to do a water change. Again, my tank is only ~60gal. But I do see my N03 and P04 starting to increase. Thinking I will start with 10% a week. Thoughts?

Salinity = 1.024
pH = 7.7
Alkalinity (dKH) = 6.0 (was 8.5 few weeks ago...added 20ml RedSea Reef Foundation B today)
Calcium (Ca2) = 497
Magnesium (Mg2) = 1430
Nitrate (N03) = 19.6
Phosphate (P04) = 0.12

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No harm in doing one especially with the nitrogen spike you are experiencing. I would just do a 10% (6g), and then monitor it, but let the tank resolve it itself, but only if you see that the levels are safe.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone and happy Monday!

I hate to have to stop in here and remind our members to please be kind to one another. We can't tolerate rude personal remarks directed at one another.

Thank you.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One more warning and this is a final one since I've had to remove more posts after my previous warning.

We're not going to call one another names or insult one another here. Period. Stop.

I hate I have to spell this out but I am going to put offending parties on a post approval restriction or remove posting privilege all together if this continues.

Thank you and please abide by what I'm asking and by the terms you agreed to when you signed up.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate I have to spell this out but I am going to put offending parties on a post approval restriction or remove posting privilege all together if this continues.

Is this list published anywhere? Maybe a badge for people who are on it. That might help weed through the chaff.

Follow up, can I be on this list. The extra attention and time would allow me to fix my typos which I usually ignore.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly 10% WC is perfect, if you can stick to that routine over the first year, you'll increase your chances of success dramatically. Maybe others would disagree, but I think it's more important to change the water regularly despite your water levels than because of them.

Once your tank is established and dialed in, then you can probably scale it back if you want to.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly 10% WC is perfect, if you can stick to that routine over the first year, you'll increase your chances of success dramatically. Maybe others would disagree, but I think it's more important to change the water regularly despite your water levels than because of them.

Once your tank is established and dialed in, then you can probably scale it back if you want to.
Perfect. I totally agree! Doing small water changes weekly sets you up for success in the long run.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is this list published anywhere? Maybe a badge for people who are on it. That might help weed through the chaff.

Follow up, can I be on this list. The extra attention and time would allow me to fix my typos which I usually ignore.

HA! Nah you don't want to be on it! :p Let's get back on topic please!

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 10 weeks old now. But I started with established rock, water and Tim's bacteria.

I have yet to do a water change. Again, my tank is only ~60gal. But I do see my N03 and P04 starting to increase. Thinking I will start with 10% a week. Thoughts?

Salinity = 1.024
pH = 7.7
Alkalinity (dKH) = 6.0 (was 8.5 few weeks ago...added 20ml RedSea Reef Foundation B today)
Calcium (Ca2) = 497
Magnesium (Mg2) = 1430
Nitrate (N03) = 19.6
Phosphate (P04) = 0.12
sounds like a good idea

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more warning and this is a final one since I've had to remove more posts after my previous warning.

We're not going to call one another names or insult one another here. Period. Stop.

Thank you and please abide by what I'm asking and by the terms you agreed to when you signed up.
Hi Rev, just to be clear if an individual is completely "catfishing" members on the site, actually since it's a reefing site we will call it "Clown fishing " members, we are not allowed to address this in any way, shape or form on here or risk a time in the penalty box?

I only ask on behalf of all members so the policy is clear.

Thanks for the guidance

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Rev, just to be clear if an individual is completely "catfishing" members on the site, actually since it's a reefing site we will call it "Clown fishing " members, we are not allowed to address this in any way, shape or form on here or risk a time in the penalty box?

I only ask on behalf of all members so the policy is clear.

Thanks for the guidance

Please report accounts that you suspect are “clown fishing” and let us do some checking please. Also I love that term. Ha! Thank you for your care and concern for the community @Lavey29!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back