Water parameters

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so I’ve started testing only very recently after 1.5 years.

21/12/20
Dkh 8.4
Ca -470
Mg - 1280

22/12/20
Dkh 8.4
Cal 450
Mg 1280
Po4 - 2

23/12
Dkh 8.4
Cal 445
Mg 1280
Po4 2

24/12
Dkh 8.1
Cal - 420
Mg - 1280
Po4 2

I have everything ready to start dosing but can’t figure out what the changes are? Any tips? Also my Po4 has been 2.4 since my ICP test 16/11 I added 1 cup of phosguard to the tank 7 days ago don’t think it’s made any difference? Any ideas for that?

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots to know about your system but from the data it doesn’t look like you have any coral demands. Your alk drop is minuscule and your other numbers are good. I would say water changes have been managing your tank for the passed 1.5y and no need to make it complicated.

as for the phos, what are your nitrates?

Could you give more detail about your tank

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nitrates are high they’re at around 30 my tank is fallow currently. Mostly softies have a few sps. I only added that large monti 1 week ago hence the testing I thought it would use up a lot more but doesn’t seem to be doing anything.

all my coral are open with the phosphate and nitrate high so not sure what to do about thAt

Attachments

• 11289846-65BD-4EBE-A3EB-24B4ED7A4EC5.jpeg
    11289846-65BD-4EBE-A3EB-24B4ED7A4EC5.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 31

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While they are high you’re still in the happy ratio range. 16nitrate to 1 phos.

what salt and how often are your water changes?
Tank looks nice by the way

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While they are high you’re still in the happy ratio range. 16nitrate to 1 phos.

what salt and how often are your water changes?
Tank looks nice by the way
Ocean reef pro salt - and water changes every 2/3 weeks as no fish

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Dkh doesn’t seem to change at all I’ve tested 8 days in a row and a water change after the 4th day always 8.4 magnesium doesn’t budge 1280 and calcium does fluctuate

is it possible for calcium to go up once it’s gone down by itself. Say yesterday was 420 and today I’m getting 450? Does that make sense?

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
give this a watch. Calcium I wouldn’t worry about as it is high enough and fluctuations can be attributed to testing challenges. You don’t need to test but once a week. You already know there isn’t a dramatic alk drop so you can space out your testing. I would say you could do monthly but if you want to track for personal satisfaction once a week would give you numbers to follow.

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
give this a watch. Calcium I wouldn’t worry about as it is high enough and fluctuations can be attributed to testing challenges. You don’t need to test but once a week. You already know there isn’t a dramatic alk drop so you can space out your testing. I would say you could do monthly but if you want to track for personal satisfaction once a week would give you numbers to follow.

Great video thanks. I suppose the water changes are enough at the moments to keep parameters stable - I just assumed with such a large monti I’d see crazy changes with all and cal so thought I’d need to start dosing. I’m going to keep testing all parameters weekly. Once I add more coral and start seeing a significant change ( what would a significant change in alk or cal look like?) il test everyday and see if I need to dose.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video thanks. I suppose the water changes are enough at the moments to keep parameters stable - I just assumed with such a large monti I’d see crazy changes with all and cal so thought I’d need to start dosing. I’m going to keep testing all parameters weekly. Once I add more coral and start seeing a significant change ( what would a significant change in alk or cal look like?) il test everyday and see if I need to dose.
I’ll tell you, it’s best to read up on this process and understand it. You are at a good alk of 8.5 so you will have a safe range to start dosing. You will know what I’m talking about and the questions you have will be answered in an hour or less of reading/YouTube. Lou Ekus is a great person to listen to. Randy on here also has great reading on the subjects.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back