Water Params

PEREIRA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning from Bridgetown West Aus guys.

I have a relatively new setup that I've downgraded to due to making room for an expected bub. Reason that is important is because my nitrates are high thanks to a tank re-cycle but it is decreasing and being monitored with an eagle eye.

That said, I have never had a 'thriving' tank. I have always had fish, never been able to keep anemones or develop coraline algae, and the only coral I have had any luck with have ben a few zoanthids.

I'm tired of having a surviving tank and want it to thrive.

I'm water changing weekly about. Third of the volume so it's not like I am slacking out on that.

The water chems, as taken today, are;
PH 8.2
Phos 0.25
SG 1.018 (I know it's low and is being increased slowly. Had a bit of a salt shortage in the country. It's usually between 1.024-1.026)
Ammonia 0
nitrite 0
Nitrate 40 (like I said, decreasing thanks to a re-cycle)
Alk 12.6dkh
Ca 550ppm
Mg 1700ppm

My issue is managing the last three. Alk is the best it's been since ever, so is Ca. I can never decrease the Ca or Mg. Is this a massive issue? Perhaps the salt mix?

Thanks for your help fellow addicts.

Jay

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at this chart. Your levels are too high for Cal, Alk, and Mag. There's a problem. I've never witnessed a salt mix with params that high, so I don't know about that either.

Marinedepot.com | Reef Tank Parameters

Maybe you're reading the test kits wrong?

Last edited:

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I've had plenty of salt mixes with those parameters. The logic is to provide elevated levels of ca and alk for doing water changes(no dosing). Ca is fine at 550ppm just dont go higher, Mg also fine you should have no issues. Ive raised mine clear to 2000 to kill bryopsis with no SE other than some invert deaths. Alk also fine for coral (its usually a quick change in alkalinity that will kill coral).

SO taking all the in.... WHat will happen is these levels WILL drop slowly as the coral/coraline take up calcium and carbonate(ALK) and when you do a water change it will compensate for that.

Another thing to consider is how heavily stocked your tank is because when you add fish food>>> It is metabolized by fish/bacteria and the ultimate end products are nitrates and *Acids* along with tons of other stuff but these are the most important. Acids basically, without getting into a lot of terrible acid/base Equilibrium, will consume your ALK by forming CO2. SO the important message here is that if you are heavily stocked, you will need to watch your ALK closely and consider investing in a dosing pump to continuously feed ALK into the tank.

backpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think you have nitrate issues. the rest should be fine. How big is your ph swing from day to night? What are you checking salinity with?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water params are way off.
Nitrates, keep under 5
Calcium- 380-460
Alk- 8-12dKH
Magnesium- 1250-1350
PH 8.0-8.4
Salinity- 1.025-1.027
Temp 76-79
You get those numbers inline, and your tank will come around in no time. To keep Corals you need a strong light source, you didn't mention what you were running. ?? Also, Magnesium, because yours is high, you will have to let it come down by itself of a period of time, or you can mix up a few water changes using Instant Ocean, as this salt mixes up low on most numbes.
If you are a do it yourselfer you can do this:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/4/chemistry
I just use Baking Soda for Alk, Calcion for calcium, and Magnesion for magnesium. If your tank doesn't have anything using these elements then it won't be knocking them down quickly at the start, so you can use store bought products until it matures and starts eating them up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PEREIRA

PEREIRA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice guys, although I have everything from its fine, through to its toxic. I know the Params are off perfect, the question is, if things like mg are boosting from salt mix, how can I wait for it to drop if I'm still doing water changes. I'm in the country, 100km from the closest lfs so it's not the easiest thing to pop in and fix something.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing anything?
Cal, Alk and Mag will all drop by themselves, given time.
Or you can use Instant Ocean water changes, this salt mixes out low, and this will bring down your numbers also.

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Thanks for the advice guys, although I have everything from its fine, through to its toxic. I know the Params are off perfect, the question is, if things like mg are boosting from salt mix, how can I wait for it to drop if I'm still doing water changes. I'm in the country, 100km from the closest lfs so it's not the easiest thing to pop in and fix something. "

Not exactly a water change does not have an additive effect with elements. So when you take water out of your tank your are removing that volume of water with all of its constituents and adding in the same volume of freshly mixed salt water.

Measure the parameters of your fresh mix maybe you have a bad batch with extremely high parameters.

Most importantly is your nitrates nothings going to thrive at 40ppm that would be my primary concern and I would buy some algae to eat it up.

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pereira, what salt mix are you using?

rock_lobster, what salt mix do you know of that has parameters like listed by OP? "Yea I've had plenty of salt mixes with those parameters."

Salt Mix Guide | thatpetplace.com

Instant ocean... bought a box I think it was 160 gallons total and it had extremely high alk/ca not sure about Mg though.
I think instant ocean normally runs at 11 so it wouldnt be too extreme to get a batch at 12 or 13dkh

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back