Water pump cable black jacket cut

ferranM

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 4, 2025
Messages
4
Reaction score
2
Location
florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this reef octopus skimmer from a guy .. he told me everything is working and it’s good but I soon I get home I check the pump and I saw the cable seem like it’s broke … but it’s not broke the cable inside look fine.. but the cover part is broke and those cable are exposed… it’s safe to plug it ?

IMG_0285.jpeg IMG_0282.jpeg
 
I got this reef octopus skimmer from a guy .. he told me everything is working and it’s good but I soon I get home I check the pump and I saw the cable seem like it’s broke … but it’s not broke the cable inside look fine.. but the cover part is broke and those cable are exposed… it’s safe to plug it ?

IMG_0285.jpeg IMG_0282.jpeg
I personally would not plug anything in that shows a wire being exposed. You are risking an electrical hazard happening
 
I personally would not plug anything in that shows a wire being exposed. You are risking an electrical hazard happening
I personally would not plug anything in that shows a wire being exposed. You are risking an electrical hazard happening
Yes that what I thought … even if I try to cover it up ?…. I have a electrician friend that will come and take it a look
… otherwise I got my money stolen 😭😭
 
I got this reef octopus skimmer from a guy .. he told me everything is working and it’s good but I soon I get home I check the pump and I saw the cable seem like it’s broke … but it’s not broke the cable inside look fine.. but the cover part is broke and those cable are exposed… it’s safe to plug it ?

IMG_0285.jpeg IMG_0282.jpeg
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I can't suggest that you take a chance with something electrical, especially around your tank. You might want to get it looked at by an electrician to be safe.

That said, if it's just the outer cable jacket and the inside wire insulation is intact, it should be fine. I would wrap it with some electrical tape or shrink wrap tubbing. As long as that's not a pump that get submerged, I think it would be fine, but double check with a professional to be sure 🙂
 
Yes I think will just buy a new pump for the skimmer
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new