Water storage container

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently changed my water storage (in prep for a new, larger tank) to be a 10g Brute garbage can instead of 5 gallon buckets. I run my RODI water into one, and then transfer it into a different one when I'm ready to mix saltwater. I've never had saltwater in my green one, only fresh RODI water. It's nearing time to change my DI resin, so I tested the TDS in my green can, to get between 5-8 TDS. Since my resin wasn't exhausted, I was surprised. I ran some water through the filter into a plastic bowl and that tested 0. So, am I wrong that I should have 0 TDS in my can as well? I do keep it covered unless I'm actively working on a water change. I thought I rinsed it out when I started using it well enough, but can't say for certain.

Has anyone else had this with brute containers? I'm not too worried about it, but it does seem odd to me. The only other time I've had this happen with my bucket system was when I put freshwater in my 'saltwater' bucket by mistake and it was leftover salt residue.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will get some build up of junk even with RODI water. Vinegar/Citric Acid wash should clean those cans up in no time.

MGarrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) I believe the white, yellow, and grey brutes are food safe. Not sure about green. not even sure if it would be an issue.
2) Could it be TDS creep?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back