Water temp for Acropora reef tank

7akata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low 80's seem to speed up metabolism in corals, so they are more extended. I just want the dinos to suffer and not like the warmer waters. So, far I am on day 2 only of Dinos. I am going to add Start Smart Complete, to introduce more good bacteria. Will report if that helps out the systems.
Interesting about the metabolism, I never really looked at the science behind it. It's an unfortunate byproduct of being in a room with 8 10'x6' windows. Even when the blinds are drawn it heats up more, but I have a small tank (25 lagoon). 2 years with no side effects!

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting about the metabolism, I never really looked at the science behind it. It's an unfortunate byproduct of being in a room with 8 10'x6' windows. Even when the blinds are drawn it heats up more, but I have a small tank (25 lagoon). 2 years with no side effects!
The tank that has been identified as having Dinos, only through coffe filter test is next to a window with strong wooden blinds that have heat resistant paper film to help but the heat still travels somewhat. So, my tank with thermo-electric chiller struggled to keep 78-80F throughout the day, meaning the chiller never turned off. Now, that I have rasied the setting to 82F it turns off and takes breaks, my house has central AC at 78F. Hoping to make a dent with the dinos and not hurt the SPS in the process.

7akata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank that has been identified as having Dinos, only through coffe filter test is next to a window with strong wooden blinds that have heat resistant paper film to help but the heat still travels somewhat. So, my tank with thermo-electric chiller struggled to keep 78-80F throughout the day, meaning the chiller never turned off. Now, that I have rasied the setting to 82F it turns off and takes breaks, my house has central AC at 78F. Hoping to make a dent with the dinos and not hurt the SPS in the process.
That makes me feel a lot better about doing it as well. Thank you for your first hand insight! I've been avoiding a chiller at literally all costs.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back