Water testing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

pratt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of reviews I have purchased the Hanna alkalinity tester. My first test indicated that my alk was at 6.7 dkh. I found that to be off because I have always used Red Sea Alk and when tested with Red Sea it shows 7.8 dkh. Can the difference be that big between the two. If so how can I know which is correct?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of reviews I have purchased the Hanna alkalinity tester. My first test indicated that my alk was at 6.7 dkh. I found that to be off because I have always used Red Sea Alk and when tested with Red Sea it shows 7.8 dkh. Can the difference be that big between the two. If so how can I know which is correct?
It could be. I have experience different testing results when switching over to new titrant with RSP. In the past week I have tested with RSP and ELOS and the ELOS is testing were I should be and the RSP was testing were I should be up until a week and half ago. I am losing trust in RSP and I have a Hanna checker coming to test my alk with RSP, ELOS, and Hanna. I just might go and the a Salifert test kit to compare all three. I just recieved the Hanna Phosphorus ULR and today I am going to compare RSP and Hanna later today.

Bigfishy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could take your water to a store and have them test and at the same time run a test with the Hana checker to see

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for your questions.

Our HI772 dKH Alkalinity Checker has an accuracy statement of ±0.3 dKH ±5% of reading. The major advantage of using a colorimeter, or digital test, is you can measure accuracy without subjective human error (so long as instructions are followed). Other chemical test kit brands may claim to have an accuracy statements but you cannot quantify inaccuracies brought about by judging color changes. We regularly test our lot numbers from stock against high end lab equipment used in professional water quality analysis centers. Our Checkers always preform within, or better, than their accuracy statement.

We have got this question before but realistically we cannot speak for other brands methods of reagent production or quality control. However we only make testing equipment and have been doing so for over 30 years. We own our own manufacturing plant and do not outsource reagent production like many other companies do. When you buy Hanna you are getting testing equipment from a company that supplies analytical instruments to over 15 major industries ranging from metal plating, to wastewater treatment or agriculture.

If you are ever concerned with the accuracy of your Checker, you can purchase a standard to make sure the device is preforming within its accuracy statement.

http://hannainst.com/hi772-11-marine-alkalinity-dkh-checkerr-hc-calibration-set.html

Thank you for being a valued Hanna customer and let us know we can answer any other questions.

Last edited:

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my experience but I like the Hanna meter. A few times a year I send off a water sample to Aqua Medic Water Testing. I will send a sample to AWT, then test at home with my kits . It shows me how accurate my testing is running. I do not use this as replacement for home testing, which is important.
http://aquamedicwatertesting.com

My Hanna kits have always been accurate (compared to AWT lab results). I also love the convenience of the Hanna Alkalinity & Hanna Phosphate meters.

Last edited:

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my experience but I like the Hanna meter. A few times a year I send off a water sample to Aqua Medic Water Testing. I will send a sample to AWT, then test at home with my kits . It shows me how accurate my testing is running. I do not use this as replacement for home testing, which is important.
http://aquamedicwatertesting.com

My Hanna kits have always been accurate (compared to AWT lab results). I also love the convenience of the Hanna Alkalinity & Hanna Phosphate meters.

Thank you for testing with Hanna and for the awesome feedback. We strive to provide the best testing experience for our customers.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back