Water vanishing?

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its not higher than the rim but at the same time high enough I cant have a trickle goes into it
This makes no sense if its lower than your tank rim water would go into it before the floor.

I'm sorry I'm just getting really frustrated with this, it's a very simple fix. I can see it in your video and I just want to reach through the computer and adjust the drain valve for you.

PLEASE, JUST CLOSE THE MAIN DRAIN VALVE UNTIL WATER TRICKELS INTO THE EMERGECY DRAIN. IF YOU NEED TO ADD MORE WATER TO THE SUMP TO ACOMPLISH THIS, DO IT.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i let it do its thing. It stops at a water level in the return chamber im not happy with. Too low. What should i do? Its crazy issue
Add water to the sump. Your total water volume is too low if the return chamber is too low...

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230907_204257.jpg
1694133939334136273190798647105.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the INFINIA 190.5 drain diagram on BRS you only have 2 drains and one is the "emergency" drain. You need to set the main drain with the valve so that a small amount of water drains down the emergency drain.

You will NEVER be able to
dial the main drain to match your return pump exactly which is why you need to dial it in so that a small amount of water goes into the emergency drain at all times to prevent the fluctuating water level you are seeing. It really isn't the best drain setup. You should have 3 drains (full siphon) (Durso) and dry (emergency).
Hope this helps!
There are lots of people who run a Herbie design very successfully! While the Bean Animal (3 drain) design is also a good choice, to say that a Herbie "isn't the best drain setup" is wrong

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Alright let me break it down.

Reduce the return pump flow and see if it balances out. Seems like the pump is moving water faster than its coming in. If you have flow control on return, increase it.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes no sense if its lower than your tank rim water would go into it before the floor.

I'm sorry I'm just getting really frustrated with this, it's a very simple fix. I can see it in your video and I just want to reach through the computer and adjust the drain valve for you.

PLEASE, JUST CLOSE THE MAIN DRAIN VALVE UNTIL WATER TRICKELS INTO THE EMERGECY DRAIN. IF YOU NEED TO ADD MORE WATER TO THE SUMP TO ACOMPLISH THIS, DO IT.
Its apparent, in the videos, that if he closes main drain the get trickle in overflow the water level in overflow would be as high as display(ie not skimming the surface). He can cut that pcv down a bit though...

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don’t get frustrated my friend. Im new to the hobby. And thats exactly what I was trying to do close the gate valve till I get a trickle in the emergency pipe. But everytime i try to add cups of water. The water goes up, and then goes down immediately like the water vanishing. Is that means I’m not adding enough water?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying to add water to the system. I added few cups. It goes up, and then immediately goes down. Is that means I’m not adding enough water?
Yes.

And fwiw, here's what I would do given your situation. I understand that your drains/overflow are set up differently and you had to modify things so that it's not feasible for the water to trickle down the emergency pipe like a Herbie drain usually runs. I have a Herbie drain on my tank and the water doesn't always get high enough to trickle either. This isn't *necessarily* a problem. As someone else suggested, completely close your main drain and let the water rise and drain down the emergency pipe. Assuming this scenario does not end up with water overflowing out of the tank, you at least will know that the emergency drain *CAN* handle things if the main drain becomes obstructed.

At that point, I would just leave the water level where it was when it ran silently.
(OR, contact water box and insist on a replacement tank that's set up correctly...)

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes cutting down the emergency pipe so that its lower than the level of the tank is important but no matter where the water level in the the overflow compartment it will not raise or lower the tank level . Bring the level in the overflow compartment to where the water is just trickling in the emergency drain which should be lower than the overflow teeth by at least a inch or two , then check to make sure your pump is set to your desired gph then add water back into the sump to your desired level either with saltwater or RO water which ever you need to reach your salinity mark . It usually helps to have someone on a stool looking into the overflow compartment to let you know when the water reaches the level . After you adjust it to where it should be , recheck it in 15 mins and then again in a couple hours . The herbie system is the best system I’ve used and through the years the only issue I’ve ever had with it is when a snail goes down into the main drain but it just gets a little gurgling sound from the water increasing going into the emergency drain which is why you have the emergency drain .Believe me having help spotting when you adjust the drain helps . Good luck and don’t over think this . :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t get frustrated my friend. Im new to the hobby. And thats exactly what I was trying to do close the gate valve till I get a trickle in the emergency pipe. But everytime i try to add cups of water. The water goes up, and then goes down immediately like the water vanishing. Is that means I’m not adding enough water?
The thing is, you're actually trying to raise the water level in the main tank. So when you add water to the pump chamber, it quickly gets pumped into the tank... if you want to try to raise the tank water level enough for it to trickle down the emergency pipe, just add water to the tank until it gets to this level.

(I still think my other suggestion might be a better solution for you)

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is nuts, this is a Herbie, overflow, Youre likely over pumping what the overflow can handle, no overflow is limitless on what it can handle, as said many times previously, a) make very small adjustments to the gate valve then wait 15 minutes, shutoff the atonuntil you achieve stability, b) add saltwater as needed until sump desired volume is needed c) ABSOLUTELY make sure the emergency drain is lower than tank rim by a good margin

The idea behind this drain configuration is keeping noise to a minimum

Make sure your SG is good when all is set and done

Best of luck, in this hobby, your patience will be tested again

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And put more water in your sump the readjust your auto to new level .
I am sorry I didn’t mean to make things more complicated here. In fact I do agree with all the commenters. That’s what I was trying to do is to raise the water level to trickle down the emergency pipe. But the part where I started to freak out. Is when my sump return chamber level started going down. And I started adding cups of water, and then see the water goes up to the desired point, and then drops back down. Quick that made me confused. But it does seem I wasn’t adding enough water thats why it was happening I needed to keep adding water

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry I didn’t mean to make things more complicated here. In fact I do agree with all the commenters. That’s what I was trying to do is to raise the water level to trickle down the emergency pipe. But the part where I started to freak out. Is when my sump return chamber level started going down. And I started adding cups of water, and then see the water goes up to the desired point, and then drops back down. Quick that made me confused. But it does seem I wasn’t adding enough water thats why it was happening I needed to keep adding water
Glad it finally worked out for you . The herbie system is a great system and when you understand how it works it makes it easier to figure out when things go wrong , which doesn’t happen very often . Now that the crisis is over jus make sure that the emergency drain is lower than the bottom of the slot of the weir of the overflow into the drains as if the main drain gets clogged for any reason you don’t want water going into or over the sides of the tank . The emergency is their for a reason which is to give piece of mind . Enjoy the hobby and good luck :cool:

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep forgetting filling the sump, is actually filling the display. And 150G is not a few cups to raise it haha
It will always fill the show tank to the level of the weir which in your case takes water from your sump which has to be replaced from evaporation . I also would check your auto top off system as if it were working properly you would never have been in this situation which Leeds me to the question as to has your salinity been fluctuating during this episode ???

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will always fill the show tank to the level of the weir which in your case takes water from your sump which has to be replaced from evaporation . I also would check your auto top off system as if it were working properly you would never have been in this situation which Leeds me to the question as to has your salinity been fluctuating during this episode ???
I interpreted that the ato is working and trying to compensate, but op "panics" and didn't let it balance out. I may not have looked hard enough but doesn't seem anything in tank will care about a couple gallon fluctuation in 150g display. Now he understands how the drain opperates and what different water levels indicate, this is what learning looks like!

Just make sure emergency drain is low enough to handle all flow without overflowing display

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back