Waterbox 4820 cabinet unsafe design

liam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a waterbox 4820 peninsula from BRS during the blue Friday special last fall.
The tank was delivered and I assembled the cabinet,the instructions were terrible but I am a handy person and figured it out.
I have laminate flooring and had already added a sheet of 3/4 ply under the tank to make sure the tank had a stable surface.
The tank was leveled, and filled and I happened to bump the end of the tank,this was when I noticed the whole tank swayed significantly lengthwise a frightening amount of movement.
I reached out to waterbox with a video of the movement who proceeded to tell me that I probably did not tighten the aluminum stand properly.I assured them that this was not the case.They then said it sounded like I needed the reinforcement kit but they were out of stock and would send it as soon as possible but to enjoy my tank in the meantime.
So now I am thinking they know there is a problem and they have a kit to address it,ok.
So I waited for the kit to come, the kit was actually a couple of piece of extra 20/20 aluminum to add underneath the base of the tank which is only originally supported around the edge by the 20/20 (another scary part of the design) , the kit they sent me would not even fit a peninsula tank due to the drain layout,Waterbox told me to install what I could of the kit, obviously this did zero for the issue.
The issue is the skinny 20/20 aluminum is deflecting when the tank is touched the peninsula tank was doors on both sides so the cabinet panels add not structural integrity.
I purchased some extra 20/20 from Amazon and added to the stand put was unable to improve the situation.
Next I built a wooden chase between the overflow end of the tank and the wall in an effort to stop the movement which did work to a degree.
I continued to reach out to waterbox who had stopped responding by this point, they did eventually offer me gift card to offset what I paid for extra aluminum and wood for the chase I built.
There were several other issues, had to take a razor blade and cut the foam padding away from under the tank in the door opening as it prevented the doors opening,I adjusted them as far As I could,they give you one piece of lock line for the returns so all you can do I point the return straight at the glass 2 inches away.
,had a bowed door.To their credit waterbox did address these small issues right away.
However I am left with a tank which moves back and forth when you clean the glass with a magnet cleaner.
I find it strange that there are no reviews anywhere for waterbox tanks at any vendor including waterbox for anything bigger than a nano.
IMHO these tanks are dangerous,the stand is poor quality and not sufficient to support the tank, the glass bows out lengthwise so Is likely undersized also,I find myself worrying constantly if my kids bump it and the whole thing comes crashing down.The resale value is zero as I could not comfortably pass it on used to someone else when the time came.I have a video of the movement but it says it's too large to upload
1000001321.jpg

Last edited:

miles03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in no way an engineer of any kind but I have built a couple of stands out of 3030 aluminum. Just a thought the waterbox website says the stand should be 30mm aluminum. Which seems like a decent mix between strength to cost, I would use 4040 for that big of a span and tank but I'm overly cautious. Was the 2020 a mistake? Not sure how it would be but just throwing it out there. Got any pictures of how you reinforced it? Might cost a little bit more but I'm sure the folks on here can help out at least making it stable.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only got the 35.2 and the stand moves left to right so easy. Just using a magnetic glass cleaner is enough to cause the stand to wobble. I got ahold of WaterBox and they wanted a video of it to investigate further. I said how am I to take a video when I'm afraid to just open the front cabinet door? It's not safe and I could be injured and or have the stand give way and crash the tank to the floor then what?!

They replied today saying they're sending out a reinforcement kit and it's on the way now. I asked what it's about and they replied that it's a brace that easily attaches behind the cabinet.

Fingers crossed it solves the problem.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back