Waterbox 90.3 Stocking Ideas and Refugium Question

barracuda4356

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 10, 2025
Messages
6
Reaction score
20
Location
Chicago
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I purchased a Waterbox 90.3 and am having some trouble deciding how to stock it. I plan on keeping a pair of clownfish, either a Coral Beauty or a Flame Angelfish, and either one Mandarin Dragonet or possibly a pair. I have not decided yet. I was also wondering if it would be possible to run a refugium only with this tank. I would love to hear any stocking suggestions. Thanks!

1767298441125.png
 
If you don’t add too many heavy bioload fish, I’m pretty sure refugium only with regular waterchanges is enough to keep this tank thriving. Would definitely take things slow when it comes to the mandarins. Even in this size of tank a pair of mandarins can deplete the copepods after some time. As for stocking my biggest suggestion is to stay away from wrasses that are also hunting for pods (leopard wrasse,…) in combination with 1 or 2 mandarins it will just be a race to starvation.

Orangeback fairy wrasse
Royal gramma
Dwarf angelfish (1)
Orchid dottyback
 
If you don’t add too many heavy bioload fish, I’m pretty sure refugium only with regular waterchanges is enough to keep this tank thriving. Would definitely take things slow when it comes to the mandarins. Even in this size of tank a pair of mandarins can deplete the copepods after some time. As for stocking my biggest suggestion is to stay away from wrasses that are also hunting for pods (leopard wrasse,…) in combination with 1 or 2 mandarins it will just be a race to starvation.

Orangeback fairy wrasse
Royal gramma
Dwarf angelfish (1)
Orchid dottyback
Thank you. I plan on adding the mandarins last or second to last. That is the main reason I want to run a refugium only, to help support a healthy copepod population. I also plan to supplement with additional pods when I first add the mandarins. And thank you for the suggestions, those are beautiful fish.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new