Waterbox AIO 20 cube overfilling

rosensreef8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I set up a new Waterbox AIO 20 cube and I had a disaster. So I set up my Tunze 3155 ATO sensors and hose in the 3rd return chamber. Everything was fine for a few days, then the display and first 2 chambers overflowed. The ATO did not fail and the return chamber stayed at the exact level as the ATO sensor. The water level in the return chamber kept dropping so the ATO turned on until the water was at the proper level. The tank is brand new and I am currently cycling it. I decided to go no sand and just rock work. I just filled the tank and watched as the return pump lowered so ATO filled it up, then 30 seconds later it dropped and ATO filled to sensor and it kept repeating as the tank was filling and filling and filling. Does anyone know what’s going on? It’s a brand new tank straight from Waterbox. This thing terrifies me

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Place the ATO in the middle chamber and make sure the water level in the tank is much higher than the water level in the back chambers so it’s like a step. It sounds like the ATO added too much water and the Waterbox isn’t the issue. Place the ATO at the water level of the middle chamber and leave a few inches from the top ensuring it’s lower than the display level. Also give the return pump a few minutes to pump all the water out of the chambers into the display so it levels out because that’s where your water level will be.

OP
OP
R

rosensreef8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place the ATO in the middle chamber and make sure the water level in the tank is much higher than the water level in the back chambers so it’s like a step. It sounds like the ATO added too much water and the Waterbox isn’t the issue. Place the ATO at the water level of the middle chamber and leave a few inches from the top ensuring it’s lower than the display level. Also give the return pump a few minutes to pump all the water out of the chambers into the display so it levels out because that’s where your water level will be.
It’s not the ATO. I turned the ATO off and the return chamber would run dry so I’d add more water, then a minute later the return chamber would be dry and I’d add more water and it kept happening all while the tank was just filling up

OP
OP
R

rosensreef8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not the ATO. I turned the ATO off and the return chamber would run dry so I’d add more water, then a minute later the return chamber would be dry and I’d add more water and it kept happening all while the tank was just filling up
Had I kept going the tank would have overflowed. I turned the pump that waterbox sold me down to the lowest setting and it still is happening , just slightly slower

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have in the first two chambers for filtration? There is either too little flow between the chambers or not enough water overall. Forget about the ATO for right now. Remove it or turn it off. The chambers should be a consistent level. When I was running my WB20, the water levels in chambers were pretty high.

OP
OP
R

rosensreef8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have in the first two chambers for filtration? There is either too little flow between the chambers or not enough water overall. Forget about the ATO for right now. Remove it or turn it off. The chambers should be a consistent level. When I was running my WB20, the water levels in chambers were pretty high.
I have nothing in the first two chambers and I have turned off the ATO. When the pump is on full speed the return chamber empties in seconds and I refill and refill and it never stops, all while the tank and first 2 chambers will fill until the point of the tank overflowing. With the pump turned all the way down it still happens just slower. The return chamber will empty in a few minutes. It was also happening when I was running the filter sock, ceramic rings and sponge.

OP
OP
R

rosensreef8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone thinks it’s an ATO issue, but the ATO is running perfectly. Tossed in on my JBJ and it works flawlessly. Even with the tank filled to the brim, the return chamber keeps emptying. There is no blockage in between the baffles. The only thing I can think of is the pump is way too strong, but it’s a brand new tank and pump directly from waterbox

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not an ATO issue, I had mentioned to remove it or turn it off so it doesn't flood the tank with fresh water. You need to get the flow stabilized then turn on the ATO.

The pump could be too much, however what you are describing is more of not enough water. What happens if you keep adding water to the return section until the water level is an inch above the pump and not going down? Has the display actually overflowed?

OP
OP
R

rosensreef8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not an ATO issue, I had mentioned to remove it or turn it off so it doesn't flood the tank with fresh water. You need to get the flow stabilized then turn on the ATO.

The pump could be too much, however what you are describing is more of not enough water. What happens if you keep adding water to the return section until the water level is an inch above the pump and not going down? Has the display actually overflowed?

Yes the ATO is turned off because the tank flooded my room. The water level never stabilizes in the return chamber. The return chamber will just empty even with the tank and first 2 chambers filled to the brim.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the pump is too much then. Since it is a new tank, I'd call WB and see what they can do. Might need to send you a new pump.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have no filtration in any chamber that might be restricting flow and the drain cannot keep up with the return flow, then it's definitely an oversized return pump.

If you list the pump model or flow rate someone may be able to compare it to theirs.

Koopa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the Duetto ATO in the same Waterbox and the Duetto instructions said to put the sensor in the return pump chamber (third chamber) and the refill tube in a different chamber. I got my refill tube in the middle chamber and I haven't had any overflow issues with the filters in place. Maybe try to do that with your system too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back