Waterbox AIO Pump Issue

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My waterbox 20 cube pump has something wrong with it. It has gotten very loud, but unplugging it temporarily fixes the issue. I've already cleaned it and the back chamber but that isn't working. I unplug it and plug it back in and it's quiet, but it gets loud again after anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. Can someone please help? I'm leaving town for Thanksgiving in a few days and I don't want to return to a broken pump and a dead tank, and I don't think my pet sitter would notice anything is wrong.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My waterbox 20 cube pump has something wrong with it. It has gotten very loud, but unplugging it temporarily fixes the issue. I've already cleaned it and the back chamber but that isn't working. I unplug it and plug it back in and it's quiet, but it gets loud again after anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. Can someone please help? I'm leaving town for Thanksgiving in a few days and I don't want to return to a broken pump and a dead tank, and I don't think my pet sitter would notice anything is wrong.
I reckon either your pump is not quite fixed in place and the noises you hear are vibrations. or the less likely reason that something is trapped in your pumps impeller. Have you taken the pump apart to check?

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reckon either your pump is not quite fixed in place and the noises you hear are vibrations. or the less likely reason that something is trapped in your pumps impeller. Have you taken the pump apart to check?
Yeah I've taken it apart twice now. It's definitely securely attached. This is a new phenomenon and it stops when I unplug and replug it so don't feel like it could be vibrations. I did not see anything stuck and I cleaned each individual part and reassembled it both times. I thought it might be sucking in the pineapple sponges in my back compartment because it seems to spit little grey bits out when I turn it back on and then the noise temporarily stops, but I removed all the sponges in the chamber with the pump and that didn't fix it. I also removed any sand that was back there with a siphon, and even removed all the chaeto growing in between the refugium and the camber with the pump. I even removed a pistol shrimp from inside the return tubing but he wasn't the problem either.

ReefRebels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running into the same issue and I have a WB 20 too. Same thing where sometimes it will be fine with plugging and unplugging. Did you end up replacing the pump or did you find a fix?

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running into the same issue and I have a WB 20 too. Same thing where sometimes it will be fine with plugging and unplugging. Did you end up replacing the pump or did you find a fix?
I ended up replacing it in the end. The problem just kept getting worse over time.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also test to see if its the internals of the pump or if it's banging against the side of the return chamber.
I have a 15 that I had an issue of a loud return, dropped some silicone around all the sides and it quieted up. Used a silicone cutting matt for material.

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue with both my waterbox pumps. The first became really lound but kept working so I replaced it and after a few months the other became really loud. It kept working for me for a few months until I got sick of the noise and upgrade to a sicce.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back