Waterbox Crystal Peninsula 7226 (228 G/863L) build in Dubai

Flore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for my second tank build thread. Let’s see if I can keep it up this time, my first build thread didn’t last long for various reasons…

This is my second reef tank. The first one is a mixed reef Red Sea Reefer 350, which I started around 3 years ago and looks like this at the moment - getting crowded:

Some of the equipment and all livestock will be slowly transitioned to its successor. Its had some ups and downs and I learned a few things along the way - right now suffering from a bit of algae and discoloration of my SPS, but generally speaking the last months things have been good.

I’ve always wanted a Peninsula tank and have been looking at the Reefer 650, but when Waterbox became available in Dubai, I decided to go for the biggest one I could get end in the end. I was happy with Red Sea so far but the feedback from Waterbox owners has been positive from what I've seen, so let's see how this goes.

After moving around furniture for a month and looking at various options, I’ve decided on the following positioning for the tank - it will basically be in the middle of the room not attached to any walls.

The equipment list looks like this:

- Eheim 300W + Eheim 100W Backup Heater
- Neptune COR20 Return Pump
- 2 Wave maker Gyre XF130
- 1 Ecotech MP40wQD for some turbulence
- 3 Ecotech XR30W G4 Pro (planning to mount on a custom made rail)
- Hailea 300A Chiller
- Aquamaxx Q5 Skimmer (I passed on the expensive brands after hearing good feedback on this in the local reefer group).

As you can see it will be a relatively simple setup without reactors and a refugium, I'll only do 2/3 part dosing and I use the Red Sea Coral Colours additives - so far it's worked reasonably well although I don't keep a lot of SPS or sensitive corals.

Going to control everything through the Apex system, been pretty happen with it in the Reefer 350:

- Neptune Apex Classic with ORP, ph, temperature, salinity probes
- Neptune ATK for ATO
- Neptune Leak Detection Probe (not decided yet where to put it)
- 2 Neptune DOS (Ca/Mg/KH/spare)
- 2 Neptune DDR Reservoirs
- Neptune WXM for Radion / MP40 control
- Neptune Optical sensor for ATO and sump water level monitoring
- Neptune AFS Feeder for holidays
- I also have a Neptune breakout box that I might use to connect some switches for triggering Feed or Maintenance modes without needing to open the App.

I'm currently assessing the best cabinet layout for the controllers and power supplies. As it stands, I chose to move the chiller outside the cabinet for space reasons and bring the ATO tank on the overflow side of the tank.

One of the downsides of the Waterbox is that the middle doors open on both sides, but the left and right one open only on one opposing side - cannot chose which one. This means I need to fill the ATO tank from the hole in the back of the cabinet, as I cannot open the door of this side easily due to the sofa. All the dry equipment will go on the front side of the tank where I can access the door.

Considering how big the tank is, the sump layout in general doesn't seem ideal, or at least it doesn't match my ideas - can't put my finger on it. The tank and cabinet quality looks very much on par with the Reefer though.

As for the scape, I’m imagining something along these lines:

One concern I still have is if running the Gyre’s and the MP40 from the back wall will create enough flow all around, but I’d hate to have cables going to the front of the tank.

So when will all this happen? The tank is already here, cabinet built, and I started the wiring and preparation. Will post some photos tomorrow!

OP
OP
F

Flore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally I managed to get my account registered - thanks R2R team - so I can post some updates here.

Some photos from the build and the tank.
d7574b2d-1376-4640-bbea-7bc18de56a37 (1).jpg

IMG_2844 (1).jpg

I'll mount the Radeons on a custom painted aluminum rail from the ceiling.
IMG_3036 (1).jpg

IMG_2874 (1).jpg

OP
OP
F

Flore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is full of water by now and I would say has more or less cycled. Since I partially used live rock and water from my existing Reefer 350, I didn't expect a full cycle and just had some brown algae bloom.

Some coral frags - admittedly not the nicest ones - are in the tank already and so far have been more or less happy.
IMG_3801 (1).jpg
IMG_3729 (1).jpg

On the installation side, my MP40 is giving me trouble. The 19mm glass, while theoretically still in range - is just a little too thick for a reliable magnet hold. Looking to either switch to an MP60 (wasting some money in the process) or maybe I'll find a way to support it with tape etc.

Adjusting the gate valve on the Waterbox was pretty easy and similar to my Reefer I didn't have many problems. However, I don't think you can get the overflow to be as quiet as the Reefer from what I've experienced, owing to the design of the slits in the overflow glass, which causes a small audible waterfall. At the beginning the filter socks were loud as well, but after some time they ran in and now the COR20 is running at about 60% and the noise is acceptable.

IMG_3799 (1).jpg

I raised the skimmer using PVC tubing, this is quite easy and avoids dirt build up.

82E2E13C-0ECB-4618-89FA-B28318E4384F (1).jpg

ronald jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more pictures please! maybe one of you looking through to your tv? I am thinking about getting the same tank, the red sea is just a tad too short for the space I have.

OP
OP
F

Flore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some quick updates:

- I've installed the ATO from Neptune but it's not running yet, will test this when I'm home to monitor...
- Connected my MP40 and Radions to the Apex using the WXM
- Moved some more corals (mainly frags) into the Waterbox

I need to adjust parameters a little bit before moving over more of the livestock into the new tank, will probably do that over this week and then plan a more significant shift on the weekend.

Some pics:

IMG_4306.jpg

IMG_4305.jpg

IMG_4307.jpg

Last edited:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally I managed to get my account registered - thanks R2R team - so I can post some updates here.
IMG_2844 (1).jpg

Did you measure the elevator before ordering the tank? Looks like it just barely fit!

ronald jeremy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I have a couple MP10s as well, I wasn't expecting to be able to use them with this tank when it arrives because the glass will be too thick. It looks like you might have used some double sided tape under yours?

OP
OP
F

Flore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you measure the elevator before ordering the tank? Looks like it just barely fit!

Haha, well the tank is just under 190cm, so I knew it would fit if they used low wheels to move it! But it was tight.

Awesome! I have a couple MP10s as well, I wasn't expecting to be able to use them with this tank when it arrives because the glass will be too thick. It looks like you might have used some double sided tape under yours?

Yes, as I wrote they really hardly work with the normal pads. I removed all spacers, and then used good double sided tape and the last weeks it's been fine, although they are not in the final position yet and I need to optimise the look a bit. I would say it's workable though.

OP
OP
F

Flore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates on the tank:

Installed the 3 Radion XR30 Pro Gen4, two of them came from my Reefer 350, one was new. My old Zetlight now sits on the Reefer for the next few weeks until everything is moved over.

IMG_4440.jpg
IMG_4441.jpg

The Radions are mounted on a custom Aluminum rail, I'm using the diffusors to get better light spread. Am pretty happy with the look.

IMG_4442.jpg

Moved over some more rock from the Reefer as well, and a few more corals.

IMG_4445.jpg

I also took off the black vinyl from the back glass except on the overflow area, think it looks better and it was quite easy.

IMG_4443.jpg

One my Gyre's is taking a Vinegar bath right now, then I'll move it into the Waterbox as well. The second one will stay in the Reefer for a bit longer.

Still need to transition the Apex and the Chiller and then clean up all the cabling as well, I am guessing another 2 weeks and all will be done.

IMG_4442.jpg

IMG_4443.jpg

OP
OP
F

Flore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised, here are some updates on the tank. Am pretty happy with the scape and overall look, corals more or less happy as well.

- Moved all the corals over
- Moved 3 Chromis and 2 Clown
- Purple Tang, Black Cap, Anthias, Midas Blenny are still in the old tank, alongside some snails. Will move those next week.

Once the old tank is empty, I'll plain to use it for quarantine for a few weeks and then this area will become a tank viewing spot with two chairs.

As mentioned last time, I removed the vinyl on the back except on the overflow area. Mounting the APEX display here.

Open points to address:

- Parameters: kH, Mg are a bit low, have started dosing now. Target is 7.5 for kH, 1300 MG, 450 Ca. Can't measure any Nitrate and Phosphate in the tank, had the same in my Reefer...

- Need to calibrate the Apex probes, Ph is showing too high according to Salifert and Red Sea tests, Salinity shows too low compared to Refractometer.

- Flow: With the right settings you can get flow all the way in the front of the tank, but the water movement is very limited. I've positioned the corals that should be happy in lower / slower flow (some Hammer and Frogspawn) in front, and kept SPS closer to the wave makers. Let's see how they react, otherwise I might add a bigger Gyre in addition to the existing 2, but I want to avoid having to put a pump on the front glass.

- ATO: The Neptune ATK has been a pain, and it seems one of the sensors isn't working, so going through the troubleshooting now... can't say Neptune is very supportive and accommodating so far, but let's see.

- Skimmer: As a consequence, the skimmer isn't quite working the way it should owing to changes in water level.

- Cabling: The APEX modules and cables are still a mess, will sort this out in the next days, made provisions for mounting and cable runs already. I also plan to use a breakout box for some manual switches for Feed Mode, Storm, etc. Have also starting setting up the Homebridge server so I can use Siri to trigger commands on the tank, that should be neat.

IMG_4636.jpg

IMG_4637.jpg
IMG_4638.jpg

IMG_4639.jpg
IMG_4641.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

image.png

OP
OP
F

Flore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just realized you wrote MP10s, because that's what I mistakenly wrote in my later post (the first post is correct though) - I actually have an Mp40! I don't think you can run Mp10s on this. Sorry!

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flore, my 7226 is on its way. I noticed you are running a COR 20. Do you think it is enough flow or do you wish you had bought a bigger pump?

OP
OP
F

Flore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flore, my 7226 is on its way. I noticed you are running a COR 20. Do you think it is enough flow or do you wish you had bought a bigger pump?

Sorry I missed to answer this! The COR is running 60% for me.

any updates on this beauty?

Yes - lots, I’ll post a few new photos soon, making few upgrades

Vstryker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and build, do you have any pics of your controllers and not the are mounted and organized?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back