Waterbox Marine X 35.1

Bucko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After about 2 and a half years of reef keeping adventures and lurking these forums i've decided to make a build thread documenting my nano cube. The tank has survived one house move and is doing good so far though it did have some ups and downs.
This will be a pretty long post so apologies in advance for all the reading, i'll add some pictures to make it easier on the eyes :)

After a lot of reading on forums and watching youtube reefing videos I decided it was time to finally get my own saltwater tank.
Didn't have a lot of space in my house back then so decided to go for a nano reef (was also a much easier sell with my girlfriend).
Really wanted something with a sump for the added water volume and stability so ended up ordering a Waterbox marine X 35.1.
While waiting for the tank to arrive i loved nerding out and reading up on maintaining a reef aquarium every free moment i had, which hasn't really changed over the years :grinning-face-with-sweat:

In addition to the tank i ordered the following equipment:

- Reefled 50
- Tunze 9004 skimmer
- Nyos Viper 2.0 return pump
- Eheim 150W heater
- Red Sea DIY jump screen

Later on i added an AI Nero 3 powerhead for flow and an Aqua Medic easy ATO for some much needed stability.

Here is the tank and sump after setting it up with some CaribSea life rock:

20210711_155000 (Medium).jpg 20210719_153119 (Medium).jpg

I have to admit my cable management could use some improvement which is still the case to this day :grimacing-face:

It took a lot of patience and self control but i really didn't want to add anything too soon so i let it cycle for 2 months while continuously checking parameters (which in hindsight wasn't very useful but it was nice to be able to follow up on the cycling process).
When i was convinced that it was safe to add corals i took a trip to the LFS for some corals and clean up crew. Later on I read a Reefbuilders article which mentioned there's no need to wait that long but it was still a useful time to practice water changes and cleaning habits.

My very first corals were some zoanthids, a duncan (which is still alive and kicking today) and a wall hammer. In addition to those i also got 2 turbo snails and a Leopard snail as cuc. After doing some research i found out that the Leopard snail was a carnivore so i regularly fed it some frozen clam meat, which it greedily accepted by popping up from under the sand and devouring said clam meat, pretty cool.

20210811_143753 (Medium).jpg 20210829_171240 (Medium).jpg

Also noticed my first pest on the glass which i figured was an acoel flatworm, since no corals were bothered (yet) i did't do anything about it and didn't see a population explosion. So no panic so far.
Having discovered some nice coral webshops i gradually started to add to my collection with some more "easy" zoanthids and some more euphyllia, also couldn't resist a riccordea and some nice clove polyps. The clove polyps took ages to grow, but they survived all the way and the last few months they're finally taking off although a bit hidden by other corals in the tank.

20210911_125539 (Medium).jpg

Looking back on these pictures really makes me realise the cost of learning, only the green and the pink frogspawn, clove polyps, riccordea and of course the duncan are currently still alive. Didn't seem to have much luck with zoanthids even though everyone told me they were great for beginners. Same story with the 2 wall hammers however i knew they were considered more difficult than the branching variety so wasn't totally surprised (but still dissapointed) when they didn't survive.
I noticed a lot of the aforementioned flatworms on one of the wall hammers at night when it was already on it's way out, however i doubt that they were to blame other than maybe adding some extra stress to an already stressed out coral.

20210917_002917 (Medium).jpg

I was very much ready to get some fish at this point, but i kept testing too high nitrates for my liking so i ended up waiting a bit. Seeing as how the bioload was nearly non existant (apart from feeding the leopard snail once a week), cycle was long over and bi-weekly 30% water changes were being done i now attribute this to a faulty test kit.
About 5 months after setting up the tank i switched to Salifert test kits which gave me 15ppm for Nitrates i decided it was time for the first fish.
It's a bit of a cliché but they are beautiful fish so of course i went for 2 clowns (percula).
Unfortunately both were infected with what i think was Brooklynella which i only noticed after they were in the tank for a few days. LFS sold me a cleaner shrimp in meanwhile claiming it might help with the brook, had my doubts about this after reading forums but i very much wanted to have a shrimp anyway so went for it.

20211004_145934 (Medium).jpg

My LFS gave me some medicine to add to the clowns food but this didn't seem to help much. In the mean time i accquired a seriatopora caliendrum which was to be my first foray into sps and a blue legged hermit which was a beautiful critter but also a really annoying coral bulldozer.

20211009_180733 (Medium).jpg

I was quite excited when i noticed there was a little symbiosis crab inside the caliendrum. After some research i determined it was probably a red trapezia crab, still alive today it luckily survived the house move and now resides in my stylophora.

20211009_134328 (Medium).jpg 20211009_134413 (Medium).jpg

The caliendrum was waaay to bushy for my limited flow and didn't survive in the long run, another lesson learned.
Unfortunately after about a week both clown fish perished and i decided to play it safe and go fallow for 3 months.

To compensate i went on another coral shopping spree of course.

20211103_183727 (Medium).jpg 20211102_111414 (Medium).jpg

By this point i was getting quite pleased with the look of the aquarium getting a bit more full. As you can see i kept the first wall hammer skeleton as a reminder. By now it has moved to the sump as another piece of filtration rock :)

20211111_202822 (Medium).jpg

Cats were also quite interested. One of them tried to jump on top one day but got her feet wet, never saw her run away so fast :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: Ever since then they only watch but never touch.

One night i noticed some worms in the blue kenya tree, asked some local reefers about it but no one had any idea what they were. I was advised probably benign, just enjoy the symbiosis.
a few months later the kenya tree randomly melted away and perished, not sure if due to the worms or other issues, other corals seemed to do fine and parameters were in check.

20211109_114711 (Medium).jpg 20211109_001106 (Medium).jpg

By now the tank had been running for a bit more than a year and it was time for a new return pump. The Nyos Viper 2.0 did it's job without any problems (still use it to mix new salt water) but i wanted something i could control a bit better, on the viper you could only control the pump by closing or opening a valve on the pump output. Ended up getting an Aqua Medic DC runner 2.3 which i'm quite happy with. Runs very quiet and so far very reliable.
It also looked legit to add a pump controller unit to the sump cabinet.:cool:

Here you can see the Nyos "control" valve and the aqua medic controller added to the cabinet:

20211225_151056 (Medium).jpg 20211225_152201 (Medium).jpg 20211225_152158 (Medium).jpg

By now it had been almost 3 months since the clown fish had perished and i couldn't wait to see some fish in the tank again.
Not wanting to repeat the clown fish disaster i bought a 40 gal freshwater tank to set up as a quarantaine tank.
Added some bio balls to my main system sump for about a month to use as a biological filter in the quarantaine tank, after that i went and got myself a firefish and quarantained it for a month.
Needless to say i was very happy the day i could finally add it to the display tank, and i like to think the firefish was also quite happy moving in to the display.

20220106_163428 (Medium).jpg 20220125_154337 (Medium).jpg

I also got some GSP from my LFS because i really wanted a nice green back wall.

20220127_114825 (Medium).jpg

Cat approved of the firefish:

20220128_144025 (Medium).jpg

In the meantime i started the quarantaine process of 2 new clown fish, luckily this time without any disease issues.
Also got me a tiny goniopora frag and my first red monti cap frag.

20220203_170637 (Medium).jpg 20220812_193634 (Medium).jpg

The goniopora frag took ages to grow and teetered on the brink of oblivion for a while but it pulled through like a champ in the end.
As you can see i was also starting to have a nice big collection of aiptasia (which i eventually got rid of by adding 6 Berghia).
By now we had bought a new house and a tank move was coming up so decided not to add anything new as the move was going to be difficult enough as it was.
Here are some of the last pics before the move (also discovered sunglasses are a decent blue light filter for my phone):

20220813_184355 (Medium).jpg 20220813_184448 (Medium).jpg 20220813_184546 (Medium).jpg

The plan was to take as much water with me as i could and only leave the nasty detritus filled bottom quarter of the display and sump behind. So the day before the tank move i went to the new house to mix some new salt water to compensate for the water i didn't bring.

It was quite an interesting day but everything went fairly smooth, unfortunately no pictures of the actual move as my main concern was to move everything as fast and smooth as possible.
Started of with catching the fish snails and shrimp and put them in a bucket of water with a heater while i tore down the rest of the tank.
Gathered the easy to gather corals and moved the rest into buckets while still attached to the rocks. I had some new sand ready in the new house so threw the old sand away with the dirty water.
The gsp i just left attached to the back wall to see if it was really as indestructibly as people claimed. (yes it is)

After syphoning off all the good water got the equipment out of the sump and disassembled everything. Carefully loaded it all up in the car with my dad and drove everything to the new place.
The fish and critters i kept in an empty salt bucket with a perforated lid on, without heater this time since the trip was only about 40 minutes.

After arriving at the new house i immediately set up a (new and unused of course) concrete mixing bucket with some old tank water and a heater and flow pump, to this i added all the corals, fish and cuc.

With the fish and corals safe i could take my time to set up the tank and thoroughly clean the equipment as well.
Then filled it up and added everything, the aquascape changed a bit while building up again into something i preferred.

Didn't really take any pictures because a lot of other stuff still had to be done in the new house so was a bit preoccupied, but here is the tank a little while after the move, got hit with a mini cycle as expected and some cyano:

20221106_164757 (Medium).jpg 20221106_164821 (Medium).jpg 20221204_141253 (Medium).jpg
By now i started to dabble some more into the easier sps corals having purchased a montipora digitata as well and a purple (milka?) stylo. Also accidentally made my first frag by bumping into the red monti cap and glued it to the aquascape in the front to see if it would take.

At this stage i wanted to take my reefkeeping to the next level and started to look into dosing.
Working shifts and not wanting to set myself up for failure by going for a system that was too complicated for a noob reefer such as myself i decided a kamoer dosing pump with TM all for reef was the way to go. Also invested in a Hanna alkalinity checker to properly set the all for reef dose.

Also added a small samsung tablet to the sump cabinet in order to have all the control apps in one place.

20221015_215034 (Medium).jpg

The first 2 weeks i measured alkalinity every morning before lights on and adjusted the all for reef dosage accordingly until stability was achieved.
Nothing incredibly spectacular happened the next few months just tried to stay the course and shoot for stability

Bought a new phone with a macro function which was nice to play around with though obviously not the same as a real macro camera.

20230612_174041 (Medium).jpg 20230612_174052 (Medium).jpg 20230612_174142 (Medium).jpg 20230612_174217 (Medium).jpg 20230612_174240 (Medium).jpg 20230626_165956 (Medium).jpg 20230626_170008 (Medium).jpg 20230626_170104 (Medium).jpg 20230626_170235 (Medium).jpg 20230904_211213 (Medium).jpg

As you can see the little goni frag started to do quite well!
By now i was starting to be quite pleased again with the way the tank looked and how it had survived the move.
Also quarantained and added a royal gramma. Unfortunately my firefish randomly died, still wondering why. So back down to 3 fish: the two clowns and the gramma.

20230626_165207 (Medium).jpg 20230626_165445 (Medium).jpg 20230626_165500 (Medium).jpg 20230626_165705 (Medium).jpg

Now another challenge was about to present itself, some drywalling had to be done.
I was very much dreading this but couldn't postpone any longer so i started to think about how best to protect the tank from all the dust without tearing everything down again.

In the end i settled for using a winter greenhouse for outdoor plants which i conveniently found in just the right size.
In addition to this i sectioned off the part of the room where the tank was with plastic sheets and taped everything as airtight as possible. I also added a mobile AC unit to control the temperature in this little plastic box i made for the tank. The plan was also to only close off the final bit when the actual work started in order to not mess up the gas exchange too much.

It all worked out quite well, some dust got past the first barrier and landed on top of the greenhouse but it seemed the tank survived and looked happy! :grinning-face-with-big-eyes:

20230707_121335 (Medium).jpg 20230707_122946 (Medium).jpg 20230707_121839 (Medium).jpg

Now we are finally getting to the end of this thread (for now) :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Have been dosing all for reef for about 10 months now gradually having to increase the dose as there's more and more alkalinity uptake.
Most things look like they are really taking off and i'm becoming carefully optimistic (but never overconfident).
Alkalinity i measure weekly now unless i change the all for reef dose then it's back to daily measuring until stable.

At the moment i'm doing 25% water changes every other week and i measure parameters once a month as long as nothing seems off.
So far the main parameters seem stable: Nitrates hover around 5-7ppm, Phoshate levels 0.03ppm, salinity i keep at 1.025 SG, alkalinity i keep at 8 dkh, Calcium at 450ppm and Mg at 1370-80.

I've added my first acros last month, one rainbow mille and a bali tricolor (installed a frag rock on the window for these), the mille seems to be doing great, the bali tricolor is showing polyps but the base has turned quite pale so i've moved it a bit lower off the frag rack.
A couple days ago a nearby LFS store had a sale on tridacna maximas and since i've wanted one since i started this beautiful hobby i decided to pull the trigger after giving it some thought.
I had to move my forest fire digitata to make room for the clam (nano reef problems) but i really hope this beautiful creature will thrive as it's really the cherry on top of my little reef.

20230921_190555 (Medium).jpg 20230921_190622 (Medium).jpg 20230921_190719 (Medium).jpg 20230921_190803 (Medium).jpg 20230921_190846 (Medium).jpg 20230921_190909 (Medium).jpg 20230921_190931 (Medium).jpg

Seeing as i'm running out of room for corals i've started to look at getting a bigger tank, currently planning to get at least a 180 gallon.
Last week my first son was born so at the moment i will have to adjust a bit to this new lifestyle and evaluate how it goes with keeping up with tank maintenance but again i'm cautiously optimistic and loving every second of it!

Hopefully in the not too distant future i'll make a new build thread for the big one, and maybe update it more regularly this time rather than everything in one massive post :p

Last edited:

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome on board and thanks for bringing us along on your journey! :) Starting up a new reef tank, whether it's your first or not is always extremely exiting! :star-struck:

Will be following this and I look forward to seeing what you make of it! Best of luck!!

Oh- and I think it's the first time I have seen someone use the ReefLED 50 on a Waterbox tank! I am running three of them and in my opinion, they're cracking wee lights that gets the job done!

OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome on board and thanks for bringing us along on your journey! :) Starting up a new reef tank, whether it's your first or not is always extremely exiting! :star-struck:

Will be following this and I look forward to seeing what you make of it! Best of luck!!

Oh- and I think it's the first time I have seen someone use the ReefLED 50 on a Waterbox tank! I am running three of them and in my opinion, they're cracking wee lights that gets the job done!
It has been a very exciting journey indeed! I had accidentally hit post before it was finished but now the journey should look a bit more complete :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Can't complain about the Reefled 50 at all, have never measured the par or anything and my program only goes to 80% intensity but can indeed confirm it grows corals :grinning-face-with-big-eyes:

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a very exciting journey indeed! I had accidentally hit post before it was finished but now the journey should look a bit more complete :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Can't complain about the Reefled 50 at all, have never measured the par or anything and my program only goes to 80% intensity but can indeed confirm it grows corals :grinning-face-with-big-eyes:
That looks fantastic, well done! Now it's time to enjoy and be proud of the achievement! :)

Where did you get the magnetic rock on the glass? Tunze?

OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks fantastic, well done! Now it's time to enjoy and be proud of the achievement! :)

Where did you get the magnetic rock on the glass? Tunze?
Blue marine, unfortunately it's not magnetic but with suction cups. Fingers crossed it doesn't fall down at some point :grinning-face-with-sweat: I looked into the Tunze magnetic ones but decided they were too large for my little tank.

OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiny update not much news just mainly some photos.

Sad to say my cleaner shrimp died during a molt, now considering to get 2 instead of one since i read they readily breed in captivity i figured the eggs/larvae would be a good coral and fish food source, effectively turning leftovers into a new energy source. The last one never really bothered or stole food from my corals but maybe i was exceptionally lucky.
My only reservations are that i don't wanna overfeed and pollute the tank in order to keep 2 shrimp alive instead of one so we'll see.

In my previous post i had a millepora frag mounted on a frag rock to acclimate, the idea was to attach this to the back wall. It started to encrust pretty good on the frag disc so i figured it was time to move it to it's permanent position and move the unsightly frag rock to my sump.
I expect that i'll have to prune back the gsp from time to time in order to prevent it from messing with the millepora frag.

While cleaning my Nero 3 i noticed the wet side magnet rubber is getting very squishy and feels ready to break, so ordered a replacement magnet before the rubber tears and the magnet starts to corrode inside the tank.

Also hit one of the red monti plates with a cleaner magnet so the edge is cracked, but it seems to be a very bullet proof coral and doesn't care at all. Will have to frag it before long to make space to clean the glass.

pics:

mille.jpeg

Millepora in it's new spot.

rechts.jpeg

The blue and green sympodium growing nicely on the bottom left of this picture. It was originally in the area behind the goni, but a snail pushed the frag plug upside down. Part of it had already grown onto the rock and while moving it back the right way up the part on the rock got separated from the part on the frag plug. Coral didn't seem to mind though.

symp.jpeg

Here is the original location and the part that's left. We'll see how this evolves as it's surrounded by faster growing corals and doesn't have a lot of space.

links.jpeg

The Tridacna clam seems to have settled in nicely and is doing good so far, very happy about that.

top.jpeg

I love these top shots so here is another one. As you can see the bubble tip anemone is really pulling a number on the purple digitata. Can't say i couldn't have seen this coming but when i first got the anemone there was quite a lot more room, luckily the branches above the anemone seem to be doing fine. Unfortunately it's also starting to mess a bit with the confusa monti. These are the downsides of the tank starting to grow out but on the other hand i do appreciate the tank looking nice and full.

front.jpeg

Front shot to finish off, still trying to fight back some algea in the sand, this used to be red cyano and turned green one day. As long as it stays under control and doesn't explode i'm not overly worried.

Till next time!

OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the clam didn't make it. All for reef dosing container ran dry and the clam was the first to experience negatieve effects of the kh drop, didn't last a day after that. Real shame but at least it warned me about the empty dosing container.

All corals and fish are still going strong, monti cap starting to grow on the side glass should really frag it.

20231203_144330.jpg

Put up the christmas tree next to the tank and then removed it again 2 weeks later because something else has arrived.. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

20231215_182946.jpg
20231215_182956.jpg

Build thread for this tank to follow!

OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest update:

20240118_125639.jpg

The tank is no more!
Everything has been moved to the new home.
Really enjoyed my reefing journey with this tank, learned a lot through ups and downs and hope to enjoy the new tank just as much.

Thanks for following along and see you in the new thread!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back