Waterbox Marine X 35.1

BurgerLocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, welcome to my very first “tank thread”. I’ve always been a fan of nano reefs and cube tanks, with my current running tank being an IM 14g peninsula AIO aquarium and my favourite tank that I’ve had being my former 60g cube with trigger systems ruby cube sump. I’m an idiot for selling that system.

I’ve recently decided to upgrade my IM tank as I have much more time to devote to caring for it. I have dreamed for years of getting a RedSea Reefer. In my research for this upgrade, I stumbled on Waterbox, who from my understanding fairly recently opened up shop here in Canada. After watching a few videos featuring their tanks, it seemed to me as though a Waterbox is a superior tank, using better materials (glass vs plastic pieces and better plumbing). I decided to go with the Marine X 35.1 with the white stand due to my space limitations as well as my requirement of having a sump. My partner also really likes the look of the sleek white stand, which is always a bonus.

The same day, i ordered mostly everything I would need to get this set up and running. I went with 2x 100w Eheim Jager heaters. I wanted a sexy return pump, but due to the small size of the return section of the sump I decided to try the IM MightyJet midsize dc pump (538gph). I have the desktop (328gph) version of it on my 14g and it’s been great, and it was a quarter of the price of a Vectra. For my light, I plan to use my AI Prime HD as it has been a great light and is sized perfectly for this tank. I went ahead and purchased the 3DReefing diffuser for it to reduce light spill into my living room, as the tank sits beside my TV. For sand, i bought 20lb of CaribSea Special Grade Reef Sand, which has always been my favourite.

I ordered 20lb of CaribSea Liferock Shapes from Waterbox when I ordered the aquarium. It took 19 days from the time I ordered everything to the day it all arrived by freight, with everything safe on one pallet. Three boxes in total (stand, rock, tank/sump in a cardboard box with convenient plastic handles).

It took me around an hour and 15 to assemble the stand using a cordless drill and a philips screwdriver. It was straight forward and everything lined up and went together really well. I used coral glue to fasten the plastic covers over the metal fasteners and that worked well.

It killed me, but I waited to open the aquarium box until I had finished the stand and levelled it. I cannot say enough how impressed I am by my first impressions of this system. The thickness and clarity of the glass, the silicone, everything... I love it.
9D535A4C-2897-4D47-8942-9DAA2FAB8EC4.jpeg
2BE1458C-FA86-4D04-9FE5-0C6F298C1B23.jpeg
DC3CFD61-F59D-4193-89D6-F8524EAAFC50.jpeg
753C6CB3-533B-4F62-99A0-A78A13944F8B.jpeg
09EF5CCB-CFB7-46E4-8F95-364F68A350CB.jpeg
9F1DA5B9-5CEC-4A96-8437-A966E0EED52F.jpeg

When it came to aquascaping, I played around a little bit with it, but ended up sticking with the first scape I tried, which looks cool like some sort of volcano from the top, and provides many places for my fish to hide and surface to mount corals. I’m not sure if it’s too tall. Let me know what you think if you’d like.
57694D35-0E09-4232-8027-4E05A5FEDDF8.jpeg
08A12D91-0453-45E3-9E52-0649EF45CD38.jpeg
7865B671-7764-4362-BAE4-9CF1FA66A8B1.jpeg

So that’s pretty much it for now. I’ve got saltwater mixing currently so I’ll get the tank up and running tomorrow and get the cycle going. I’ll post pics then.

My plan for this tank is to let it sit for the next week or so with a few small piece of rock from my existing tank, since it’s always been pest free. After making sure i don’t have any leaks or issues, I’ll add the remainder of my rock to the sump, and then acclimate and add my current livestock. Tomorrow or the next day I’ll post pictures when the tank is full, do up a current/future equipment list, and my plan as far as livestock goes.

Im super excited for this tank! I want to do it right this time.
Cheers!

Last edited:

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NICE!!! Can't wait to how it comes along!
I still get excited by others getting excited as they "set-up"! ENJOY! ;Joyful

OP
OP
B

BurgerLocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is full, and the heaters and return pump are ON! I plan to find some rock rubble from my current tank today and pop it in the volcano to help seed the tank. I seed the 14g with rock rubble from a really well established and pest free tank of a friend, so I’m hoping the bacteria is the same and I can keep it going.

Then total amount of water in the system is about 81L +/- 1L. I have been using IO Reef Crystals for the past year for economic reasons, but I have a small bucket of RedSea Coral Pro salt on its way which I’ve used in the past with good success. I’d like to try Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt, but it seems does not seem to be reliably available in Canada.
479F1414-8A11-4843-8C67-7E3A2C2E4F6D.jpeg
7320D53C-267C-4EFC-B7E8-7350BE8B5A06.jpeg
96F45444-6C21-4249-99B1-8BA32D6A5A3A.jpeg

The return pump as I mentioned in my first post, is rated at 538gph. I have it on the lowest setting and I think it’s almost too much flow. I may try the desktop version that is on my 14g when I take it down. At least I won’t need a powerhead for now.

So far I’ve got:
- Waterbox Marine X 35.1 system in white
- 20lb CaribSea Liferock Shapes
- ~10lb of CaribSea Special Grade Reef sand
- IM MightyJet Midsize (538gph)
- 2x Eheim Jager 100w
- AI Prime 16HD with AI metal bracket currently on my 14g system.
- IO Reef Crystals mixed to SG 1.026
- I

Also, I have a SpectraPure 90gpd 3 stage RO system.

I plan to buy:
- Bubble Magus Curve 5 Elite (w/ Sicce pump)
- AI Nero 3
- DI stage for my RO unit
- Kraken Reef mesh top (before purchasing new fish)
- Neptune Apex (not EL)

Current livestock that will be added once cycled:
- 2x ORA Gladiator clownfish (A. Ocellaris)
- 3x Blue leg hermit crabs (Clibanarius tricolor)

Plan for more livestock:
- Tail Spot blenny
- Yellow Watchman Goby/Tiger Pistol shrimp pair
- Maybe a Six-Line or other wrasse (thoughts?)

Other livestock:
- assorted zoantids
- Rhodactis and discosoma mushrooms
- 2x RBTA (debating putting these in when I put the clowns in... thoughts?).

The plan for corals:
- As difficult as they are, I’d like to keep a mixed reef, with zoas and shrooms near the bottom, a few nicer LPS around the middle of the tank, then 2 or 3 select SPS near the top to grow out (one Acropora, one Montipora, one Seriatopora).
- more zoas and rhodactis mushrooms.
- I plan to ditch the discosomas, I’m just not a huge fan. These were added to my current system without my permission.

This it for now! And now we wait....

xzebra007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for posting. Like the rock scape and all time with the great details for the post.
I should be receiving mine this week or next. Any newbie tips / suggestions? We need to stay in contact as we will be cylcling close to similar dates!

OP
OP
B

BurgerLocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some updates:
A couple of days after my last post, I felt the aquascape was too high, leaving little room for vertical growth so I removed the top “donut” rock and moved it to the skimmer section of the sump. I wanted to help seed it quicker, so I took a couple small pieces of rock from my 14g system and added them to the sump as well. I preferred the look of an underwater volcano more, but I think this will just work better. Here’s what it looked like:
08BCAED2-42D5-49FD-97EB-B5BAB6977A44.jpeg

Around day 10 I started noticing some diatoms on the sand bed and a little bit on the glass. This got me thinking that i should order some clean up crew then, assuming it would be at least a week or two before it shipped/arrived, so I ordered them that evening. I ordered 3 Astrea snails, 6 Trochus snails, 3 Polkadot hermit crabs, and a Fighting conch from Fragbox, which is in Toronto. They were shipped on day 11 which really surprised me, and arrived via FedEx the next day, day 12, all appearing healthy and active. I was forced me to make a decision: either put the clean up crew in the new aquarium, or wait an arbitrary amount of time, keeping this clean up crew in my 14g, which would be fine, minus it being maybe a little cramped for my hermits, as I already had three blue-legs.

I had also made the decision to go the skimmer-less route for the first few months as it has worked for me in the 14g when properly maintained, and I plan to change out ~25% weekly. I had also decided to make the skimmer section my refugium and fill it with my well established and pest-free rock from my 14g, adding a lot of biological filtration. Moving everything into the Waterbox just made the most sense so I tested the water to ensure I had nitrates, which were at ~3ppm, and didn’t have detectable ammonia, so I went ahead and started the move.

I started late in the evening, and had to be up early for work the next morning so I didn’t take any pictures. I decided to add 50% of the water from the 14g to the Waterbox, so I did that first before acclimating my current and new livestock in two separate buckets and added them to the new aquarium.

I moved my auto top off to the new aquarium and struggled to find a neat way to organize the wires under the stand, as well as those going to the surge protector in the TV stand next to the tank, but I did the best I could for now. I plan to get an Apex controller in the next few months, so maybe I’ll build a controller board with hidden wire management for that. I also moved my AI Prime to the waterbox, mounted at 10” above the water. Here are my current settings. Any thoughts?
5606A708-B0C0-4F4F-AB93-5D55A820C1DD.png

I purchased a small bucket of Red Sea Coral Pro, as it was readily available for me, so I’m going to give this stuff a try. I’ve also decided to keep more SPS than originally intended, so I’m hoping weekly 5 gallon water changes with this salt mix will be enough to maintain my parameters until I can get a controller and dosing equipment, at which time I will probably switch to something of a lower dKH. It has worked for me in the past, though I took a break from the hobby before I had to start dosing, so this will be my first endeavour.

It has now been around a week since everything has been in the tank and already I have noticed a huge difference in the health of my corals. I have 3 frags of a certain zoanthid that used to be one nice colony but died out during a period of neglect which are now are open and starting to get their colour back. They haven’t been open in months. My anemones are also looking happier than they had been in a long time, and the fish are doing great.

That’s all for now! Ive ordered some zoanthids from a local reefer, so I will post once those come! Thanks for reading and feel free to ask me anything or give constructive criticism. Cheers!

Here are a few pictures from today:
8095D461-95D3-434D-8834-92414F4564C8.jpeg
98A7CF10-33E5-44DA-A51A-8BD4A05435C2.jpeg
FF984879-F6E1-4985-9FB5-2B0D4374EC1F.jpeg
95F8610A-900B-49A4-9DA8-8222F8F6A3F8.jpeg

411D0F84-52F0-4A5A-B9F3-B239E835D76C.jpeg
0BE70846-3B84-4A74-B473-50D2E35E2249.jpeg
8F5ECE61-4426-45A4-8992-D381A6B043C2.jpeg
3356DB13-498A-4A26-81C2-E6D116A608A3.jpeg
11D7F0EC-3A04-4524-9E69-7FB83D4839A0.jpeg

Attachments

• 83A72AA6-1367-4175-BA82-240719C41F06.jpeg
    83A72AA6-1367-4175-BA82-240719C41F06.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 86
OP
OP
B

BurgerLocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for posting. Like the rock scape and all time with the great details for the post.
I should be receiving mine this week or next. Any newbie tips / suggestions? We need to stay in contact as we will be cylcling close to similar dates!
Thanks for the reply Zebra! I loved that rockscape, I was even thinking of getting a mangrove to grow out of the top… :( I think my current scape will be better for keeping more corals though.
Have you received your Waterbox? Did you get the 35.1 as well?? I love mine. Here are a few tips:
- Just take your time with the stand. Make sure everything is tight and aligned.
- The white hardware covers don’ really fit on well, so you’ll need to glue those on while the aquarium is lying flat after it’s been assembled, or use a really quick curing glue which is what I did and they’re holding well.
- It really doesn’t take a lot of strength to over tighten the plumbing. Just watch that the seals stay flat and don’t start to buckle or anything and you’ll be good that way.
- Eheim Jager 100w heaters are too long for the sump, so a shorter solution would be better.

I’d love to follow your build as well!

xzebra007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Zebra! I loved that rockscape, I was even thinking of getting a mangrove to grow out of the top… :( I think my current scape will be better for keeping more corals though.
Have you received your Waterbox? Did you get the 35.1 as well?? I love mine. Here are a few tips:
- Just take your time with the stand. Make sure everything is tight and aligned.
- The white hardware covers don’ really fit on well, so you’ll need to glue those on while the aquarium is lying flat after it’s been assembled, or use a really quick curing glue which is what I did and they’re holding well.
- It really doesn’t take a lot of strength to over tighten the plumbing. Just watch that the seals stay flat and don’t start to buckle or anything and you’ll be good that way.
- Eheim Jager 100w heaters are too long for the sump, so a shorter solution would be better.

I’d love to follow your build as well!
Thank you BurgerLoker for the response and tips. Yes, I too ordered the Marine X 35.1 which will finally be here tomorrow. Looking forward to the setup, but starting feeling overwhelmed and clueless seeing how this is my first build. I know there can be challenges, but I don't want to be stressed all the time either. Using MicroBacter 7 to cycle.

OP
OP
B

BurgerLocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test and water change night! Right now I’m testing weekly on water change day using the RedSea Control Pro test kit.
D64AC383-09FA-4FE6-9DA7-7E68C9773585.jpeg
9374734F-D022-4400-BA89-C2F61A3711EF.jpeg

Cdime712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is full, and the heaters and return pump are ON! I plan to find some rock rubble from my current tank today and pop it in the volcano to help seed the tank. I seed the 14g with rock rubble from a really well established and pest free tank of a friend, so I’m hoping the bacteria is the same and I can keep it going.

Then total amount of water in the system is about 81L +/- 1L. I have been using IO Reef Crystals for the past year for economic reasons, but I have a small bucket of RedSea Coral Pro salt on its way which I’ve used in the past with good success. I’d like to try Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt, but it seems does not seem to be reliably available in Canada.
479F1414-8A11-4843-8C67-7E3A2C2E4F6D.jpeg
7320D53C-267C-4EFC-B7E8-7350BE8B5A06.jpeg
96F45444-6C21-4249-99B1-8BA32D6A5A3A.jpeg

The return pump as I mentioned in my first post, is rated at 538gph. I have it on the lowest setting and I think it’s almost too much flow. I may try the desktop version that is on my 14g when I take it down. At least I won’t need a powerhead for now.

So far I’ve got:
- Waterbox Marine X 35.1 system in white
- 20lb CaribSea Liferock Shapes
- ~10lb of CaribSea Special Grade Reef sand
- IM MightyJet Midsize (538gph)
- 2x Eheim Jager 100w
- AI Prime 16HD with AI metal bracket currently on my 14g system.
- IO Reef Crystals mixed to SG 1.026
- I

Also, I have a SpectraPure 90gpd 3 stage RO system.

I plan to buy:
- Bubble Magus Curve 5 Elite (w/ Sicce pump)
- AI Nero 3
- DI stage for my RO unit
- Kraken Reef mesh top (before purchasing new fish)
- Neptune Apex (not EL)

Current livestock that will be added once cycled:
- 2x ORA Gladiator clownfish (A. Ocellaris)
- 3x Blue leg hermit crabs (Clibanarius tricolor)

Plan for more livestock:
- Tail Spot blenny
- Yellow Watchman Goby/Tiger Pistol shrimp pair
- Maybe a Six-Line or other wrasse (thoughts?)

Other livestock:
- assorted zoantids
- Rhodactis and discosoma mushrooms
- 2x RBTA (debating putting these in when I put the clowns in... thoughts?).

The plan for corals:
- As difficult as they are, I’d like to keep a mixed reef, with zoas and shrooms near the bottom, a few nicer LPS around the middle of the tank, then 2 or 3 select SPS near the top to grow out (one Acropora, one Montipora, one Seriatopora).
- more zoas and rhodactis mushrooms.
- I plan to ditch the discosomas, I’m just not a huge fan. These were added to my current system without my permission.

This it for now! And now we wait....
I had a question I know there's a reason but why two heaters?

OP
OP
B

BurgerLocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates have been 16-20ppm and phos has been 0.04. I’ve been changing out ~25% per week (19/82L). Maybe i should knock my water change volume in half?

If anyone actually reads this, feel free to give your input. So far it’s just been sort of a journal for myself

Cdime712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates have been 16-20ppm and phos has been 0.04. I’ve been changing out ~25% per week (19/82L). Maybe i should knock my water change volume in half?

If anyone actually reads this, feel free to give your input. So far it’s just been sort of a journal for myself
Hey,

I'm waiting on my order of the waterbox 35.1 Any advice when starting off with this system. I have a Fuval 13.5 and going to this big boy. Let me know what I'm walking in too.

Thank you

OP
OP
B

BurgerLocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I'm waiting on my order of the waterbox 35.1 Any advice when starting off with this system. I have a Fuval 13.5 and going to this big boy. Let me know what I'm walking in too.

Thank you
Hey CDime, congrats on ordering your Waterbox! Before this aquarium I had a IM 14g peninsula so similar dimensions to your 13.5 I believe. Do you plan on transferring your existing rock to the Waterbox? I did, with about 95% of it going to the sump, and a few small rubble pieces into the display to help seed the Liferock that I purchased.
I’m using the IM MightJet midsize return pump and I love it. Would definitely be a good pump to look into.
Just take your time and enjoy it :)

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread, thanks for sharing all your info. Eagerly awaiting my 35.1 Marine X to show up, so it's great to live vicariously through build threads!

A couple questions if you don't mind:

1. How're you liking your Caribsea liferock? I've purchased their 35.1 bundle and should get it when the tank arrives. I think your non-volcano aquascape look is better too!
2. How're you liking your skimmer-less setup? This will be my first reef tank, so I'm probably not going that route, just curious. You mentioned looking at the Bubble Magus?
3. What are you doing about your Eheim Jager heater length issue? I purchased a BRS 100w which seems to be ~2" shorter than the Jager, hoping it fits!

Looking forward to your updates!

OP
OP
B

BurgerLocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread, thanks for sharing all your info. Eagerly awaiting my 35.1 Marine X to show up, so it's great to live vicariously through build threads!

A couple questions if you don't mind:

1. How're you liking your Caribsea liferock? I've purchased their 35.1 bundle and should get it when the tank arrives. I think your non-volcano aquascape look is better too!
2. How're you liking your skimmer-less setup? This will be my first reef tank, so I'm probably not going that route, just curious. You mentioned looking at the Bubble Magus?
3. What are you doing about your Eheim Jager heater length issue? I purchased a BRS 100w which seems to be ~2" shorter than the Jager, hoping it fits!

Looking forward to your updates!
Hey Gedxin, thanks for the reply! I don’t mind answering your questions at all!
1. I like it great so far, though it doesn’t seem as porous when I had to break a couple of pieces. I might end up adding some bio-media in the future.
2. Though I like my skimmerless system, the tanks I’ve had in the past had skimmers in them so that is what I am used to. I might actually add a skimmer and decrease my water change volume.
3. I would like to buy one of the BRS titanium heaters, but I live in Canada so they’re more expensive for me. If they are 2” shorter, you should be golden!

Congrats on your 35.1! Post a build thread on here so we can see it!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back