Waterbox Peninsula 7226 Build Thread

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

After an almost 7 year hiatus, I finally am in the process of building a new tank.

Specs are as follows:

Waterbox 7226 Peninsula Tank
(72"x26"x24")
228 gallons total system volume

Reef Details
Plan is for the tank to be SPS dominate
2 MP60wQD for water movement
5 Radion XR30w Pro LED for illumination
NYOS 220 Skimmer
Vectra L2 Return Pump
Roughly 180 pounds of rock (combination of Marco and STAX dry rock, and live rock from KP Aquatics)
1.5" sandbed
APEX Controller

Cycle Details
Cycle will be assisted with Prodibio Startup, along with 80 pounds of live rock. I will also dose Brightwells MicroBacter7 for additional bacterial support.

Things I'm on the fence about, and still deciding on:
Refugium or other means for nutrient export
CA Reactor of dosing AquaForest 3 Part
Trident or Mindstream for water chemistry

IMG_2814.JPEG
IMG_2814.JPEG

IMG_2820.JPEG
IMG_2820.JPEG

OP
OP
Hair Algae Wizard

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Waterbox purchase experience was ok. Clearly the company is going through some growing pains, and communication was lacking at times. However, everything was packaged securely, and thankfully no damage. The silicone on the sump and display tank look great. The cabinet is a beast, but a few holes had not been drilled for the cam locks which required me to do so.

Overall, I would recommend Waterbox, but do hope the QC and customer communications improve.

OP
OP
Hair Algae Wizard

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again. It's been a journey thus far.The tank is up and running. The Radion lights throw out way more light spill than I thought, so I need to figure that out.

So far, the cycle is going well. I need to do a water test tomorrow. My biggest issue at the moment is getting the Apex setup, and getting the Radion's dialed-in. As it stands now, my entire office glows!

waywardreefer

Discipline Equals Freedom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hair Algae Wizard FWIW, always love a good refugium...especially since the Reef Pro & Peninsula series comes with a sump that has room for one and a separate ATO rez. Not a fan of the integrated ATO rez in the sumps for their smaller Marine & Reef series tanks...kinda what's making me lean toward RedSea right now for my spring '20 build.

As for the QC issue, did they not do it at all or did they just miss it?

Last edited:

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again. It's been a journey thus far.The tank is up and running. The Radion lights throw out way more light spill than I thought, so I need to figure that out.

So far, the cycle is going well. I need to do a water test tomorrow. My biggest issue at the moment is getting the Apex setup, and getting the Radion's dialed-in. As it stands now, my entire office glows!

How high above the tank do you have the Radion's? I'm running 4 on my 72x30x27 about 10" off the water and not getting much spillage.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hair Algae Wizard FWIW, always love a good refugium...especially since the Reef Pro series comes with a sump that has room for one and a separate ATO rez. Not a fan of the integrated ATO rez in the sumps for their smaller Marine & Reef series tanks...kinda what's making me lean toward RedSea right now for my spring '20 build.

As for the QC issue, did they not do it at all or did they just miss it?

Unfortunately, I don't have room for a fuge in my 230.6 because I have 3 x MarinePure 8x4" blocks in that section. My tank is currently bare bottom, so I need the extra surface are. If not for that I would absolutely go the fuge route and would certainly recommend it to the OP.

OP
OP
Hair Algae Wizard

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I don't have room for a fuge in my 230.6 because I have 3 x MarinePure 8x4" blocks in that section. My tank is currently bare bottom, so I need the extra surface are. If not for that I would absolutely go the fuge route and would certainly recommend it to the OP.

Thanks. I decided to go with a Reef Octopus LR-200 Macroalgae Reactor, as my skimmer is huge, and I was running out of space in the sump.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 44.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back