Waterbox Sump Question

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 6026 sump and there is the big black sponge that comes with it they goes in the air trap between the skimmer chamber and the return section.

Do people use it? I find that it gets backed up quickly and raises my skimmer chamber water level causing the skimmer to overflow.

Do you skip it or do it another way? I like how it keeps the micro bubbles out though.

Would love your thoughts.

NIWID

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started having this problem with mine. Have had the tank up since August. Thinking about removing and cleaning. Have you done that with yours yet? I can deal with cleaning it twice a year but if it starts requiring regular cleaning I'll probably try running the sump without.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sponge in any sump should be cleaned like socks, every couple days. Otherwise it gets clogged, and as you noted it makes the sump water level rise as it gets more, and more clogged.

SPSReeferMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question. Yes, I had this problem. I did two things:

1.) I removed the filter that Waterbox provided, but I still needed something there to block the occasional air bubbles if my skimmer was adjusted. I used aqua mesh black coarse by lifegard (misspelled on purpose). I cut this mesh to be as long and wide as the original Waterbox sponge, but I left mine to be not as deep. It doesn’t fully fill the baffle, but that was enough to stop bubbles / snails and hopefully catch less crud.
2.) I added an optical sensor from my Neptune Apex in that chamber (about 1/4” about standard operating level). If water level increases in my skimmer chamber or backs up, that automatically tells my skimmer to stop. I found that to be super helpful for unexpected events (after fix #1, this is usually something that I’m doing with my tank, not a backup of water).

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i removed mine from the start and never had any issues with micro bubbles or debris going to the return pump.

OP
OP
PSU4ME

PSU4ME

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I’m going to flip my skimmer output to the far side and see if that keeps the micro bubbles away. I’m like to not run the sponge but do like it’s aspect of protecting the return pump.

I just cleaned the sponge on Sunday and had the issue yesterday so I’m not sure what happened. Bought a bomb **** skimmer that I’d like to get dialed in!!!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back